Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The number of foreigners in the system doesn't have anything to do with it.

The fact that our system is easily abused doesn't make it look any better. It makes it look worse, if anything.
But it does. I'm sure the foreigners immigrating here consider all aspects of our system -- health care just one of them and still choose this country over their own and over any others. Actions speak louder than words - people continue to pour into the USA at much higher numbers than any country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But it does. I'm sure the foreigners immigrating here consider all aspects of our system -- health care just one of them and still choose this country over their own and over any others. Actions speak louder than words - people continue to pour into the USA at much higher numbers than any country.
I am not talking about the opinons of illegal Mexican immigrants who jump the fence. I am talking about the opinions of Europeans and Asians.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The United States has sent some 12,000 soldiers to Libya, in the first phase of deployments to the oil-rich North African nation.

I'm sure, we'll be out soon...................
Citation, please?

Or did you just mistake the number of Marines sent to re-open the embassy (12) with 12,000? Because I can see how that can happen, if one is desperate enough for bad news.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
I don't think so. Most people emigrating anywhere are young and healthy, and don't think of situations where they might need health-related help.

It was the same with me when I emigrated. In terms of the health care system my current country of residence is much worse than where I lived before.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think so. Most people emigrating anywhere are young and healthy, and don't think of situations where they might need health-related help.

It was the same with me when I emigrated. In terms of the health care system my current country of residence is much worse than where I lived before.
But then what lured you here?

I think I'll believe that our health care system is inferior when many of the foreign born pack up and head somewhere else. Who would move to a country permanently if they thought their health and lives were in danger?

I was talking to an Irish woman who was complaining about the health care here and insisting it was much much better back home. I asked her why she was still here and she said she didn't want to lose her Medicare. So something was pretty good about our system to her. No matter what she said, her actions showed she intended to stay here rather than go back home where things were supposedly better.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not talking about the opinons of illegal Mexican immigrants who jump the fence. I am talking about the opinions of Europeans and Asians.
There are also many Asians coming here. And something must be better about our system because more of them come here than go to France or some other so-called better country.

Or the extra high salaries here make up for any perceived lacks in our health care.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
I think I'll believe that our health care system is inferior when many of the foreign born pack up and head somewhere else. Who would move to a country permanently if they thought their health and lives were in danger?
There's a dichotomy at play. The best US care is like the best US anything - top-notch. The way it's paid for is completely FUBAR.

Anyway, considerably more people travel out of the US than into the US for health care per year.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,141 times
Our health care system is the single worst thing about our society. We pay more than any country and get less in return. We have shorter life spans. Most of the money we pay goes to two stupid places: health care company executives and end stage life for elderly patients. We need to get rid of health insurance company profits and spend more money on hospice care so people can die with dignity instead of hooked up to machines in a cold hospital ward.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
But then what lured you here?

I was talking to an Irish woman who was complaining about the health care here and insisting it was much much better back home. I asked her why she was still here and she said she didn't want to lose her Medicare. So something was pretty good about our system to her. No matter what she said, her actions showed she intended to stay here rather than go back home where things were supposedly better.
"Here" in my case is not the US, but still, I emigrated for several reasons. Health care was certainly none of them.
And Ireland can be a bit "narrow", it is a classical emigration country as there are only so many possibilities. Many people from small countries want to explore the world and move somewhere else.

I suppose she wants to retain her Medicare as long as she is in the US as Medicare is better than nothing. I would do the same thing if I were her.

Why would she return just because of the health care aspect? That is not really high on most people's list of priorities.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
There are also many Asians coming here. And something must be better about our system because more of them come here than go to France or some other so-called better country.

Or the extra high salaries here make up for any perceived lacks in our health care.
I am just telling you what I have heard people say about US overseas. I am trying to compare the systems. As for 'more people moving in', one million East Europeans moved to Scotland, and remember there were only 5 millon Scots in Scotland. That is the same as US suddenly receiving 60 million immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies