Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,878,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There can be, and is "gay" marriage already in the US. It is called marriage. You go get a MARRIAGE license, go to the JP, or a church that allows same sex ceremonies, or a park, or the beach, or your own back yard and have any (or no) ceremony and than you get a MARRIAGE certificate.

No church is required for ANY marriage to be legal.
I didn't say that there was. But, if it was as easy as you say... why this thread?

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Marriage DOES NOT predate God, who is not only the source of Judeo-Christian "religions" - but is the source of all of mankind.
So we should legalize (in our secular government) all forms of acceptable marriage styles listed in the Bible?

If not, why?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,051,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I didn't say that there was. But, if it was as easy as you say... why this thread?

H
The only reason it's not as easy as she says is because prejudiced, homophobic bigots keep writing and passing discriminatory laws banning gay couples from being able to equally access civil marriage law.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,123,899 times
Quote:
...which is the problem. God's plan for marriage has not changed. He created us. I believe he knows what's best. He says homosexuality is not good. I believe that too.
Great. YOU follow what your god says, but THIS country has rules. One of those rules says that all rights, and privileges must be granted equally.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Do you believe everything that is written down by someone?
Nope.

Quote:
There is no proof that there is a god.
Sure there is - you just don't pay attention to it. Every day, every month, every year - the earth runs it's course, which is the same path around the sun. Is that by accident? On the earth every day - the sun rises in the east and sets in the west - day after day after day without fail. Who controls this? All of the seasons come and go every year. These are not random occurrences - but are evidence that there is some being in control.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,878,606 times
Lots of people know someone gay, have a gay child, family... there is support within the non-gay community for gay people and gay issues. But, lets be clear. Gayness is outlier behavior. A majority of people will always want clarity. Gay marriage will have to self identify as 'different' to be accepted by non-gay mainstream Americans. Since it won't, there is push-back. There have been LAWS for 200 years outlining certain issues as to black/white race relations. I don't see how those LAWS have significantly affected the emotional and/or social climate between blacks and whites. We are as far apart now as then. That's just skin color. You want to tell me that because of a few state laws or some major federal LAW concerning gay marriage that that is suddenly going to make a hospice director grant bedside visitation to a same sex spouse? It might, and then again the spouse might die while the lawyer is rustling up the posse to remove the obstruction to the hospital room. It might be best to go to a gay friendly hospice in the first place. As already exist. Behavior as hard-wired as sexual orientation does not subject itself to LAWS. Pro-Life nuts still kill abortion doctors and bomb abortion clinics decades after Roe v. Wade became the LAW. Just saying.

H

Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Because the laws are not equal for same sex marriages. DOMA says that same sex marriages, even where they are legal are not accepted by the federal government. It also says that the FF&C clause doesn't have to be applied to ALL marriages equally.

You didn't say this?
"Gay marriage will happen but it won't be called marriage."

I showed that it HAS happened, and it IS called marriage.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,051,601 times
Quote:
Nope.

Sure there is - you just don't pay attention to it. Every day, every month, every year - the earth runs it's course, which is the same path around the sun. Is that by accident? On the earth every day - the sun rises in the east and sets in the west - day after day after day without fail. Who controls this? All of the seasons come and go every year. These are not random occurrences - but are evidence that there is some being in control.
Humans have worshiped 1000s of God. Which God in particular does the existence and order of stuff provide evidence for? And how does this evidence point to this particular God over the others?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Great. YOU follow what your god says, but THIS country has rules. One of those rules says that all rights, and privileges must be granted equally.
OK - yeah a country can make it's own rules - and those rules may or may not follow God's principles. But when calamities occur, and they will, don't look for God's help.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
OK - yeah a country can make it's own rules - and those rules may or may not follow God's principles. But when calamities occur, and they will, don't look for God's help.
Calamities occur everyday, and have since the beginning of time. Your god has no more say in it that Zeus, or Vishnu.

You have your god I have mine. How do you know that mine isn't the right one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies