U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM

10,087 posts, read 2,732,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry seeks to dispel common misconceptions about children raised by gay parents. First, it says children of gay parents aren't more likely to be gay or more likely to be sexually abused than children of heterosexual parents. Additionally, children with gay parents and children with heterosexual parents show no differences in gender identity or gender role behaviors. Although the American Academy of Pediatrics says that grown children of gay parents might be more willing to consider having a same-sex partner, they aren't more likely to identify themselves as homosexual.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Gay Parents Effects On Children | LIVESTRONG.COM
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
What effect does having LGBT parents have on children?
Sometimes people are concerned that children being raised by a gay parent will need extra emotional support or face unique social stressors.Current research shows that children with gay and lesbian parents do not differ from children with heterosexual parents in their emotional development or in their relationships with peers and adults. It is important for parents to understand that it is the the quality of the parent/child relationship and not the parent’s sexual orientation that has an effect on a child’s development. Research has shown that in contrast to common beliefs, children of lesbian, gay, or transgender parents:

• Are not more likely to be gay than children with heterosexual parents.
  • Are not more likely to be sexually abused.
  • Do not show differences in whether they think of themselves as male or female (gender identity).
  • Do not show differences in their male and female behaviors (gender role behavior).
Children with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Parents | American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM

215 posts, read 150,645 times
[quote=jjrose;23994485]Of the 3 children my partner and I have the 2 adults are straight, and never had any confusion about that. The other is 7, and likes girls, so he doesn't seem too confused either.

Do you have any links to any research that follows your experience?
Or just anecdotal evidence?

Because as a teacher,and boy scout troop mother, I can honestly state that I have never had one child, or young adult mention anything like this to me.
(there is my anecdotal evidence)[/QUOT

I do not need any links...just expressing the views of my students. I commend you...but not all families will have the same results. Meaning it depends on the upbringing and nurturing of our children, to see that they are truly who they want to be. In my class of 30 students...there are 2 openly gay students who truly know...AND several others who express confusion from their parents, TV, music, media influences. Many students have said theirparents will not have it any other way but being straight under their roof. Teens today are under a lot of
pressure!
Also...you may read 'Monkey see, Monkey do' by F Bradshaw. Given to me by another teacher.

Last edited by me in RI; 04-23-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 9,716,435 times

"Current research shows" = Hey, look what I just pulled out of my...

Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM

15,679 posts, read 4,846,181 times
Default Permit me to explain it to you in simple English ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

UNION between opposite sexes is about breeding...Union between the same sex is about attempting to gain some sort of social status and financial and economic benefit.

Marriage= children.
Well, I certainly DO NOT agree with that point of view.

Marriage is NOT only about breeding and having children.

People who are incapable of having children are allowed to have children. Men who cannot produce viable sperm are allowed to marry. Women who are barren are allowed to marry. Gay and Lesbian people who want to marry their same sex spouse are allowed to marry legally in several states, such as Connecticut, New York, Iowa, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maryland, the District of Columbia, etc. Gay and Lesbian people who want to marry can do so legally in many countries around the world like Canada, Spain, South Africa, the Netherlands, Norway, Argentina, etc.

The sort of "social status" same sex couples seek is called EQUALITY.

The sort of "social status" same sex couples seek is to be First Class Citizens, NOT Second Class Citizens.

Capiche????

Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 9,716,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

"The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry seeks to dispel common misconceptions about children raised by gay parents"

Give them credit for not pretending to be objective.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well if you consider the AACAP to be pulling things out of their asses maybe you should take that up with them.

I at least provide links to my assertions, unlike so many others.
And no Kirk Cameron is not a valid researcher.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Sexual Orientation. A number of investigators have also studied a third component of sexual identity, sexual orientation (Bailey, Bobrow, Wolfe, & Mickach, 1995; Bozett, 1980, 1987, 1989; Gottman, 1990; Golombok & Tasker, 1996; Green, 1978; Huggins, 1989; Miller, 1979; Paul, 1986; Rees, 1979; Tasker & Golombok, 1997). In all studies, the great majority of offspring of both lesbian mothers and gay fathers described themselves as heterosexual. Taken together, the data do not suggest elevated rates of homosexuality among the offspring of lesbian or gay parents. For instance, Huggins (1989) interviewed 36 adolescents, half of whom had lesbian mothers and half of whom had heterosexual mothers. No children of lesbian mothers identified themselves as lesbian or gay, but one child of a heterosexual mother did; this difference was not statistically significant. In another study, Bailey and his colleagues (1995) studied adult sons of gay fathers and found more than 90% of the sons to be heterosexual.
Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting

I guess the APA is not a valid source either....
Still looking for that 58% figure someone quoted.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,062,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
I do not need any links...just expressing the views of my students. I commend you...but not all families will have the same results. Meaning it depends on the upbringing and nurturing of our children, to see that they are truly who they want to be. In my class of 30 students...there are 2 openly gay students who truly know...AND several others who express confusion from their parents, TV, music, media influences. Many students have said their parents will not have it any other way but being straight under their roof. Teens today are under a lot of pressure!
So as a teacher do you preach stereotyping and prejudice to all of your students? Does your curriculum contain all blacks are athletes? White people cannot dance? Asians are terrible drivers and Hispanics are great landscapers?

There is a reason that kids are afraid of their true feelings. Society and their bigotry and hatred. Those 2 students should be commended not ostracized. They have the courage to run away from the lemmings our society pushes to create.

The confusion comes from people's inability to accept differences in other people. People are cowards. Even more so now that the internet grants people anonymity and an area to vent or show their true colors. We are all closeted in one way or another.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM

19,081 posts, read 12,334,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The difference is that nobody cares what you pull out of your bum (promise!), but folk may care what scientists and various orgs are doing. You should know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies