Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

What the old farts don't understand is that its much harder to do the things they took for granted. Getting jobs st, high costs of basically everything,and 2 wars.(everyone forgets about that one)
That is what us youngsters are up against.

I don't know why the oldies like to say us youngsters have a sense of entitlement when they get the most entitlements of all:Social security and Medicare.
They also send the youngsters to go fight ther wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What the old farts don't understand is that its much harder to do the things they took for granted. Getting jobs st, high costs of basically everything,and 2 wars.(everyone forgets about that one)

I don't know why the oldies like to say us youngsters have a sense of entitlement when they get the most entitlements of all:Social security and Medicare.
This generation has it much tougher than the baby boomer generation. If you want to talk about spoiled brats, look at that generation.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And all of those things, except "easy health care", are still available to them. No, what they want now is to be supported by others.
Not exactly sure why the kids are getting the blame here. I am sure the Gen Yers and Xers who want freebies from the government are the kids of Baby Boomers who complained about not having a "fat" union pension. What I am saying is that a spoiled, entitled kid is usually the spawn of two spoiled, entitled parents.

School is partially to blame, but if the parents were doing their job, then public school wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

This war thing is not just of today's doing. There has always been war.

And no one "sends" them anymore. There used to be a draft. Now it's volunteer.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
For all of us on this site, who raised decent hard working college educated children as we did, 3 of them, pat yourself on the back, truly. I do not know what has happened to the youth of today, and where there thinking process comes from, it is discerning and quite sickening.

I'm sorry u know me, i am not going to start lying now. But i do know or have in the past parents who raise children, to believe that they are owed something. Race does not matter, different races have done this. That is a ignroant mentality, that these chidlren do grow up and believe.

Not all of today's youth are like this, some want to get ahead, but for some reason they cannot, or honestly, they have told me feel they are the wrong color, being truthful here.

It is really sad, the youth that believes they are owed something, never remember my butt after i was born and slapped, and promised i would be owed something.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

Fox News and conservatives really don't want to address how unfair and unbalanced our economy is.
What we want to address is the tax code. Fix that and a lot of our country's problems will be solved, both fiscal and social.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you get a whole different kind of students than those my wife taught up to the end of the 2011 year. She retired to escape some of the younger teachers who didn't do what you say you do and the present crop of Gimme kids.
I teach in a large urban public HS where the large majority of kids are Hispanic.

And I hear the griping of some of my colleagues about "kids today." More than likely, the teachers of 45 years ago said the same things when I was in HS. The kids today aren't that much different from back when. There are the same cliques; the nerds, the jocks, the socialites, the boozers, the losers, etc. The music and fashions change, the people don't.

Quote:
I have been out of teaching for 25 years and have been really happy about it since I always tried to do what you say you do even when what I found to be the truth didn't agree with what I believed. Many parents were unhappy with my way of pointing all sides of any argument and then taking the side of the weakest group of students.
I very seldom have any troubles with students or parents. Of course, I get the occasional parent who insists that their little Sonny or Suzie deserves a better grade than what they got. But that's never anything more than a few minutes to show them the grades and then they understand. It's administrators and legislators who give me problems. The level of micromanagement from "expert" administrators who know absolutely nothing about what you're teaching is getting worse each year. Maybe it was different 25 years ago when you taught.

Quote:
I taught Government and History. How about you?
I teach science.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
He's showing the mentility of what's coming out of America's high school's
America's future, kids who want it ALL for free, because we all know, nobody pays for it............It's free right
it is pandering to the "back in my day" crowd for a cheap pop.

It is meaningless trash

Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yes, on the memories of "when I was a kid." Ahh, in Austin, Texas and all was right with the world. In fact, back then it actually was.
In fact, you're quite wrong - there were a hell of a lot of things wrong with the world then as there are now, but you were just lucky and privileged enough to be in a situation where you apparently had the luxury of not noticing it.

At all time periods in the world, there have always been plenty of right and wrong things going on simultaneously. The tendency to look back and regard the past as somehow more utopian than present times is largely a fallacy.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:01 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
it is pandering to the "back in my day" crowd for a cheap pop.

It is meaningless trash
AHH, you know what they say about opinions!!

I'm with redroses777, she hit the nail on the head!! It starts with the parents. If their friends think this way and a teacher happens to spew their own opinion about entitlements, just enables the thinking. As we all know the teacher's union, helps those teachers support, the retire at 50 and let the rest of us pay for your retirement plan.

I don't even think all kids need to go to college. Hard-work and pure devotion to your own life, can take a person places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies