Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,582,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You know what?

A "Thank you" from the recipient class would be nice, instead of their "FU** YOU, give me more!" attitudes.

Did you notice......There was not ONE recipient who posted on here that had anything good to say to us taxpayers.
I'm not a recipient, never have been but the folks I know who use SNAP to supplement their incomes are all very appreciative and very thankful. Not one has the entitlement mentality I read about here. Many of the folks who come to our outreach meal offer to help set-up/clean-up/serve etc. Not one person of the 225 - 250 who come takes the approach I deserve this, in fact I deserve more - give it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I know that he should not be on the dole!
You said it, so it must be true.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,880,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letscu99 View Post
You do realize that those "WIC" approved items in the grocery store are usually cakes, pies, juices, etc. Trust me, my sister still manages to buy plenty of junk food for her kids with her food stamps/EBT card. It doesn't stop people at all. The actual Food Stamps usually has healthier foods on it, including healthy cold cereals, but it doesn't stop people with EBT cards from buying junk foods.
That is not true about WIC approved foods. I'm a cashier and I process many many WIC vouchers every month. Juices? Yes, but only certain kinds/brands. They are for cereal, milk, dried beans, cheese, eggs, etc. and since last Oct. they've added canned beans and a few other veggies/fruits to the list. They also have other WIC vouchers for fresh fruits/veggies and those come in $5/$6 vouchers which can be used to make a $10/$12 purchase when two are used. There are also WIC vouchers for baby formula and baby food/cereals, etc.. There is NO provision for cakes, pies or any other 'junk' food with WIC. And all of the above are to be certain brands/weight/etc. and NO cereals with sugar added, etc.. Everything is plain with nothing added...no peanut butter or wheat bread with honey...only the plain stuff. Even some baby foods, like mixed berries, etc. are excluded.

People with EBT do buy junk foods. What I'd like to see is a limit...or NONE...of those things like Lunchables, packages of sliced fruits and things like that. I would like to see it limited to bags of fresh fruit and let 'em cut up their own. I would like to see limits on cakes, cookies, candy and soda. Just because soda is on sale for $2.25 a 12 pack doesn't mean they have to buy TEN of them. Yes, I've seen people buy half a basket full of soda, cookies and candy. Mostly for kids parties and whatnot but I don't believe they should be spending their EBT money for that when they are supposed to be providing for their family. NOT that I think kids shouldn't have a birthday party, nothing of the kind, but be SENSIBLE about it and get the money somewhere else. I don't know if EBT will ever be able to limit things like the WIC program does but I wish they'd try.

Another thing...I have never seen anyone with an EBT card buy Lobster. A steak now and then, okay, because I believe everyone deserves to have something like that now and then. We have them on sale often enough it can't hurt. I do see them buy the $5 frozen packages of Shrimp and seafood. I buy those too. I also have to say that the majority of people who come through my register DO buy good foods...with a little 'convenience' stuff tossed in...but I do see the opposite and wish it weren't so. I see them buying a lot of the marked down bakery things and I think that's okay. I also see some big time coupon users as well.

I think all these complainers should just stop for a minute and remember, "There but for the grace of God, go I". Needing help can happen to anyone and unless you've BTDT maybe you just don't 'get it'. I think there are LOT of assumptions made about people on food stamps that shouldn't be made. Yes, there are 'some' who will try to 'milk the system' but I don't think the majority do. It's NOT easy to qualify, no matter what people think, and they don't hand them out like candy at Halloween.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,261 times
Well said.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Do you realize that when you are hired at wm, new hires are given a sheet/list of where and how to access food stamps, community assistance etc....
If that's true how come they didn't give ME a list when I started there. I've been there nearly two years, have never recieved such a thing and seen NO new hires ever get one either. Where do you get your information?? It's patently false.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I'm disabled and I'm telling you that very few people can survive on a food allowance of $160/month. Not in this country. Not in this economy. What is very easy is to criticize the disadvantaged. Congratulations.
I can, and have. My total food costs for this month alone are $104 right now. And I eat pretty good! When I was unemployed for nine months I was given $107 a month in food stamps. I did okay and was even able to stock up some. My mom is 84 and her income (SS) is a little over $600 month, she gets $110 a month in food stamps and gets by. We both buy cheap and 'on sale', nothing fancy but we don't buy processed foods either. I skip entire aisles in the store...no junk foods or sodas, no deli foods, only frozen veggies in the frozen section, or fresh fruits and veggies, not much in dairy or bakery and I bake my own bread. Granted, I am a single person living alone so it's easy to eat just what I want and don't have to worry about anyone else's 'wants'. Yesterday I bought a $25 roast beef and paid $9 for it on sale. I also bought a rotisserie chicken that will give me about three regular meals and then be made into chicken broth for Chicken & Noodles down the road. It's not hard to eat cheaply but well if you know how. If I got $160 a month I'd eat well AND be stocking my pantry and freezer.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM

69 posts, read 185,968 times
AZDesertBrata, I firmly agree with you. i don't believe the programs should be eliminated, I think a reform is in order. They can easily decide what foods can and cannot be bought on the program and should offer nutritional information to everyone who gets it (or seminars, something so that people understand how to eat healthy, not just eat). If they're giving away free money for food, then they should try and control what exactly is bought. If the government was really worried about this obesity thing, they would try to control it better but they don't (I secretly think that they hope all the fat shaming going on will help the obesity thing but sadly, it's only making people want to stay their size). If they have the technology to control the net, then they have the technology to control that. Good call.
I have a friend who has been trying for months to get put on her husbands EBT stuff when they were living together so that they can afford groceries for both of them but couldn't because she was a college student and didn't also have a job.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letscu99 View Post
AZDesertBrata, I firmly agree with you. i don't believe the programs should be eliminated, I think a reform is in order. They can easily decide what foods can and cannot be bought on the program and should offer nutritional information to everyone who gets it (or seminars, something so that people understand how to eat healthy, not just eat). If they're giving away free money for food, then they should try and control what exactly is bought. If the government was really worried about this obesity thing, they would try to control it better but they don't (I secretly think that they hope all the fat shaming going on will help the obesity thing but sadly, it's only making people want to stay their size). If they have the technology to control the net, then they have the technology to control that. Good call.
I have a friend who has been trying for months to get put on her husbands EBT stuff when they were living together so that they can afford groceries for both of them but couldn't because she was a college student and didn't also have a job.
I've often thought that people...especially the young ones...who get food stamps should take classes to teach them how to really cook from scratch and healthy. A friend of mine said "What if they don't have the means?"...meaning a stove, etc. But I think everyone has a kitchen stove...except me! lol I haven't had one for 2.5 years and haven't missed it. But I have a slew of small appliances so don't miss it. I can teach anyone how to cook in a crockpot or on a two burner hot plate. I hardly ever use that either because it's soooo slow. And I can afford the appliances, which maybe others can't. Although the ones I have aren't expensive. Nothing I've bought has cost over $50 including my convection oven and my George Foreman grill was $15. Anyway...

I can't agree that people who are fat want to stay that way. I know too many overweight people and they are that way for a wide range of reasons. Some from bad eating habits, some from medical causes, some from heredity...and that IS a reason for many. And I've never heard a one of them say they enjoy being overweight. My place of employment has nearly 400 people employed there and a great many of them are overweight from 'not so much' to 'quite a lot'. Some of them are actively losing weight and looking pretty good these days. We have some husbands and wives working there who are on diets together. Some are losing and some are not. I have family members who are boardering on obese as well. Some of that I know is hereditary.

Here in AZ we have, what I call "workfare". Or a form of it. Single mom's are required to work at least part time and/or attend classes at the community college. Once they are working they lose their insurance benefits through DES but their kids don't. Even if their employer doesn't provide it, which I think is unfair. They still get food stamps but I don't know any who are getting actual 'welfare'...cash. It's really hard to get welfare here because you have to prove you are virtually unemployable for at least a year. In other words, have a disability. I know there are families getting food stamps but at least one of the parents are working because they also have the cash to buy things other than food. I expect there are some who are just living together too but that's not my problem at all.

Food stamps and welfare are no cake walk and most people would rather NOT be getting either one. People say that other people should be able to go get a job...or a second job...and it's just not that easy. There ARE jobs here...I have one!...but this economy sucks rocks and there's no two ways about it. When one job gets hundreds of applications I don't know how people can criticize the ones who don't get hired. My nephew and his wife have applied at so many businesses that they are now being asked to commit to a job for a year because what if one of the other ones call and offer a higher wage? Anyone who hires them doesn't want them running off to the highest bidder, although a good way to combat that is to pay them a bit more...if they are worth keeping. Life is tough but somehow we manage...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Well, then, it's probably a good thing for him that you don't get to make that life decision for him.
You're damn right!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To paraphrase Mark Twain:

"Better to stay off the keyboard and be thought a fool, than to post on CD and remove all doubt".

Recreational Therapists

Employment of recreational therapists is expected to increase 15 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Job growth will stem from the therapy needs of the aging population. . . Employment growth in schools will result from the expansion of the school-age population and the federally funded extension of services for disabled students.
Then it must be her.

A degree doesn't guarantee a job. After all, someone finished at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies