Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?
I don't know at what stage food stamps should cut in, but sometimes the actual enforcement of the rules costs more than what it would cost to just (in this instance) give them food stamps. Purely speculation, though.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?
I don;lt now how they work it but if they have raised it based on inflation then that certainly makes sense.

As far as what the eligibility goes there should be a sliding scale. I know a woman with a child who had to leave her husband and was getting no help from him to raise the child. She applied for assistance and this is what the system is for, to help people get through tough times. The issue becomes working became problematic because she could get more from the assistance than she could for full time job. She had to carefully manage her income to make sure she didn't make too much. She had an incentive to stay poor and it's kind of hard to blame her as a single parent that needed that security.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
it seems like it would make more sense for people to get jobs than welfare, but that isn't going to happen.

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/

one day's worth:
January 20 , 2012

Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc. - 50+

American Family Insurance - Layoffs Possible very soon

Update: Philadelphia Schools - 2,700 Layoff Notices

GE Healthcare South Burlington VT - < 30 Layoffs

Booz Allen Hamilton - 124
Osram AG - Facing More Layoffs than Previous Announced

Springs Window Fashions in Middleton, Wisconsin - Moving Operation = 150 Layoffs

Mercy in Toledo Area - 55

Relativity Media - Some Layoffs

Nashville Health Dept. - Faces Layoffs as Stimulus Funds Run Out

Ecolab - 500

Rheem in Fort Smith Ark - 60 Layoffs

Lot18 - 14

N.Dakota State University Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering - 14

welcome to the new american reality-deal with it america, because you pick them.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 AM

521 posts, read 467,073 times
These lazy bums would get a job almost immediately once they have nothing to eat so yes to cutting food stamps.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
These lazy bums would get a job almost immediately once they have nothing to eat so yes to cutting food stamps.
Reading is fundamental... the OP is asking about working poor, so one would assume these "lazy bums" already have a job.

And do you not care about their CHILDREN starving? Even if the parents were unemployed, don't these children deserve to eat? FYI, food stamps are mostly limited to families, whereas single/childless people only qualify for emergency (3-month) assistance. So much for "think about the children," huh?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Cut all food stamps, except for the truly disabled, physically and mentally (and stop adding things like alcoholism and drug addiction as illness) citizens, unless they have the means to feed themselves.

We need to stop this madness.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think Jesus and Mother Theresa said this too-- feeding the poor is madness!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Cut all food stamps, except for the truly disabled, physically and mentally (and stop adding things like alcoholism and drug addiction as illness) citizens, unless they have the means to feed themselves.

Ensuring all of our citizens have food, and never have to worry about starving to death... what madness has this world come to?! I swear, some of you guys WANT us to sink to third-world status.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ensuring all of our citizens have food, and never have to worry about starving to death... what madness has this world come to?! I swear, some of you guys WANT us to sink to third-world status.
They're sure trying to get us there in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies