Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I think you exaggerate Paterno's authority at Penn State.
I think you underestimate Paterno's authority at Penn State. He was the face of the entire University. This is the guy that threw his "superiors" off of his lawn when they tried to talk him into retirement a few years ago.

He amassed a great deal of power and influence over his long tenure there, which is why his weak action during the scandal is so troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
but this one bad mistake does not remove an entire career of good deeds and teaching. Joe will be missed.
In my view it does. Even one case of sexual abuse that could have been prevented if he had of gone to the authorities is worth far more than any football trophy/championship. When people puts sports wins ahead of the lives of innocent young men, there is something seriously wrong with society.

If Joe was still alive, I would be on the front lines advocating he be charged as an accessory; because he was.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I suspect the same liberals who have crucified Paterno over this matter resent the policy of the Boy Scouts that precludes homosexuals from being scout masters.
Non-sequitur. The problem isn't with homosexuals, the problem is with child molesters. Would it somehow have been better if Sandusky was having sex with young girls instead of young boys?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Liberals - conservatives? what the hell has the political leanings of anyone got to do with their level of outrage at both the crimes committed and the overlooking of them.

Joe passed the buck! He set his priority at taking the path least likely to damage his revered football program and team!

His awareness of Sandusky's perversion and allowing the continuance of it is shamefull and INEXCUSABLE!

He wielded enough power that had he demanded action something would have happened and those abuses would not have been allowed to continue on university property. Sandusky relied upon Joe's timidity in handling an issue that should have been a no brainer for any husband, mentor, father, grandpa or human being with integrity. It's just that simple.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
I didn't even know who he was prior to the Sandusky scandal.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I'm glad Joe Paterno is dead. He knew what was going on and chose to do nothing.
No loss there. Real justice would also including barring Paterno from ever being inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Too bad he wasn't a Kennedy. Uh, well, he acted like one, so I guess same-thing.

Happy...

Mircea

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
It's too bad that he won't be able to take the stand in court to help convict that...human* Jerry Sandusky. But regardless of whatever good he did do, he failed to do what was right when it mattered the absolute most.

(*: I have many other words that I could use here, but I don't want to make the moderators' lives difficult.)

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
I really wish they would just let the man be dead...It's a shame how the sex scandal gets brought up in almost every write up.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
He's all yours Satan.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I really wish they would just let the man be dead...It's a shame how the sex scandal gets brought up in almost every write up.
No, it isn't a shame at all.

He was told that his friend and coworker was caught raping a child. He reported it to his supposed bosses, and then he let it drop. And that's not good enough. Yes, he isn't a child rapist himself. But he did fail when it was most important for him to do what was right.

Look, it's easy to fail in the same way Paterno did. But he did fail. And people need to do better than he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies