Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times

Advertisements

Blacks are always getting into trouble in Korea. I know, I spent 5 yrs in the ROK.
80% of the blotter reports involved the blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
This actually happened fairly recently (August or September 2011), I was over there when it happened. I'm not at all excusing his actions, but elderly Koreans can be very confrontational on buses; commanding foreigners to quit talking loudly for example. However, being told to shut up, or even being called a racial slur (which DIDN'T happen) is no excuse to attack someone. I know he was released from jail and was probably deported so unfortunately we have to deal with his trashy behavior in the states.

As an expat over there, I was always concerned that poorly thought-out actions by other foreigners did not reflect on the rest of us well according to Koreans. Immigration is a new phenomenon in Korea... There was also a photo publicized by a blogger of foreigners making fools of themselves on the subway.
Who sits on the floor of a subway? .

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Blacks are always getting into trouble in Korea. I know, I spent 5 yrs in the ROK.
Shocker there!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Do you know what the reason for that is? I spent almost 10 years in Japan and that was not the case but today it , percentage wise, growing. Some of the people I know do not attribute this so race so much as nationality. The biggest number of arrest of black people is by far Nigerians. Is that the case in Korea? It seems that this is also true in Spain. The Senegalese in Spain are very good at obeying the law. Some folks tend to think that all Africans have the same behavior but I think Africans are as diverse as Europeans.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM

I'm watching this video and it is just driving me crazy that all of those people on the bus let that ghetto animal assault the elderly couple and didn't restrain him. If I saw something of that nature happening to an old couple on a bus I would talk to all the men around me and at least attempt to rally them together to take that man down.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm watching this video and it is just driving me crazy that all of those people on the bus let that ghetto animal assault the elderly couple and didn't restrain him. If I saw something of that nature happening to an old couple on a bus I would talk to all the men around me and at least attempt to rally them together to take that man down.
Wow. What a bleeping hero you are.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Do you know what the reason for that is? I spent almost 10 years in Japan and that was not the case but today it , percentage wise, growing. Some of the people I know do not attribute this so race so much as nationality. The biggest number of arrest of black people is by far Nigerians. Is that the case in Korea? It seems that this is also true in Spain. The Senegalese in Spain are very good at obeying the law. Some folks tend to think that all Africans have the same behavior but I think Africans are as diverse as Europeans.
I don't know. But I think, maybe just a huge culture gap. Blacks can be very noisy and aggressive and maybe that, with alcohol readily av ailable on every corner and store, thry get in trouble very easily.
I do know for a fact blacks and asian s don't like each other because one side is jealous of the other's success as a whole even though they are in a minority group.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
I doubt that you would have said something. He’s probably twice your size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I doubt that you would have said something. He’s probably twice your size.
I think he is. I am not a particularly big person, but that is why you call the men around you. If you get three or four men to jump him, then anyone could probably take him down. I certainly wouldn't have taken him on alone.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Most of the blacks I worked with and met overseas in Asia were nothing like this prick; it's just that the few times I did see this sort of ghetto behavior it made me cringe. There was one guy in particular who had a bad case of 'Malcolm X' syndrome and thought he was perfectly entitled to act like a jerk to the locals on the trains, shoving his way to the door, onto and off of trains. I finally confronted him on it once and basically asked him 'Dude, what is yer freakin deal?' He stammered for a moment or two before falling back on his 'Well Asia's racist..I gotta let dem know I ain't gonna take dis sh*t' mantra. Fortunately for me and everyone else, he wasn't absolutely insane like this guy apparently was, and he could at least be reasoned with in that one instance, but he was close enough to the edge that nobody (black or white or Asian) wanted anything to do with him after a while. And he kept wondering why he never had friends.

The problem with this situation in particular is that it would take another expat who understands both cultures well enough to communicate with him and try to calm him down. But the likelihood is that the chances are greater than not that such a person would not be African American (i.e. white) -- which would end up introducing an entirely new and no less explosive set of dynamics into an already delicate situation. In the case I mention above, I was actually waiting for the guy in question to snap and turn on me, too. I'm lucky he didn't, but he could have. Ideally, there would have been another 'brotha' or 'sistah' on hand who could have talked some sense into him.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 01-23-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies