Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,309,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is "Global Warming" dead yet?

Nobody is shouting the sky is falling anymore. Maybe funding has dried up, or the Bubble has Burst.

I guess the tooth fairy and Santa Claus still exist for children.
Uh, nobody on Fox and CNN, you mean? You might need to read more, educate yourself more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,517,191 times
Global Warming still has some sheeple that slurp it up, but it is so fatally-flawed that one can say it's on its way out. Most folks know that man has not made the earth warmer.

It's not lost on even some libs I know that right now our sun is doing some dang, good flares, heck, just an X.2 a few days ago, and we're having a wamer winter.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Christ, let's have a new game show called American Retard. Start with those who are dumb enough to debate global warming scientists with their sh*tkicker education.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I'm sure that is probably true.. All I can tell you is it keeps my house, barn, shop and water well all running smoothly. The trick is having adequate storage capacity (batteries) and a location with regular dependable wind.
and that is the biggest rub against large wind farms. it is easy to keep a small windmill going, and, if you are connected to the grid, if your windmill breaks down and is out of service for a couple of days while you get replacement parts for it, its no big deal. also the cost of those replacement parts is going to be fairly cheap.

the other part is the dependable wind. not every location has dependable wind.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Christ, let's have a new game show called American Retard. Start with those who are dumb enough to debate global warming scientists with their sh*tkicker education.
even the vaunted scientists dont know everything. understand that AGW is a political agenda, not a scientific one. and many scientists that claim that AGW is real are doing so because they want to keep their huge grants coming from the carious governments around the world. follow the money, al gore made $100 million off of AGW.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,908,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and that is the biggest rub against large wind farms. it is easy to keep a small windmill going, and, if you are connected to the grid, if your windmill breaks down and is out of service for a couple of days while you get replacement parts for it, its no big deal. also the cost of those replacement parts is going to be fairly cheap.

the other part is the dependable wind. not every location has dependable wind.
I'm not tied to the grid but I do keep a ready supply of most replacement parts. I also have a diesel generator that I could use as a backup for a few days if push came to shove.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not tied to the grid but I do keep a ready supply of most replacement parts. I also have a diesel generator that I could use as a backup for a few days if push came to shove.
very good. but far too many people are on the grid, and expecting that the power company will continue to supply them with power. and sorry to say, but wind power doing that is a pipe dream. we can even say the same thing about solar power on a large scale as well.

as i said, on a small scale, wind power and solar power works pretty well, it doesnt work well on a large scale though, thats my point.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,257,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
They renamed it "climate change" so no matter what happens it was the guy in the Hummer in front of you.
This is one point where, despite my conservative/libertarian beliefs, I have to disagreee with the poster. I can remember seeing a film addressing (in part, and on moderate terms) the "greenhouse gas" issue as a sixth-grader ... way back in 1961.

So I don't have any problem with climate change; it deserves some very serious study, but the time horizons are so long that there's no hurry. (The fact that there was a "little Ice Age" back in the years 600-900 AD, the same time frame as the worst of the Dark Ages, doesn't get much play from the "global warming" -- as opposed to the "climate change" advocacy -- maybe they can blame it on the burning of too much peat??)

But the present-day contoversy was pushed onto the front burner by people whose motivation was the creation of additional bureaucracy, on a global rather than a national level, with the more advanced nations expected to pick up the tab, as usual. And it had to sink to those "polar bear" ads aimed at the teenyboppers and touchie-feelies to get their attention.

So much for the rule of reason.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
even the vaunted scientists dont know everything.
And most credible scientists have never claimed that they do know everything, which is why they want to continue studying the phenomenon. Nevertheless, they do credibly support the idea that human industrial activity has led to global warming. And they've supported that idea -- over decades. I'm sorry if the average person doesn't have enough background in basic science to understand climate change, but their ignorance of global warming doesn't change the fact that global warming exists, and that it is at least partially attributable to human industrial activity.

Quote:
understand that AGW is a political agenda, not a scientific one. and many scientists that claim that AGW is real are doing so because they want to keep their huge grants coming from the carious governments around the world. follow the money, al gore made $100 million off of AGW.
Look, you're just making this up. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that AGW is a scam. I suggest that you study and read some objective non-partisan sources that discuss the topic. You could actually start with the wikipedia entry on global warming theory and then read some of the sources at the bottom of the page. But don't speak out of ignorance and expect others to accept your views as valid.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,686 times
Quote:
As long as there are others looking to control us all, it will not be a dead issue. Global warming is NOT about the environment. It is about control.
Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies