Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times

Advertisements

Wow, Roy you are right about it being the left that is making a cliche out of the term "fracking."

I come from a long line of Texas Cherokee that honor and love the land. They/we don't need laws to prevent us from harming it. Interesting how, now that Texas is in an Oil Boom again that back home my relatives are seeking to have "our land fracked."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

416 posts, read 637,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
... at what point does it cease being "natural gas"? At what point does the level of technology and/or effort to obtain oil or "natural" gas become unreasonable?

H
I agree with you but...unreasonable is really a matter of what the capitalist market will bear.

Cost ppb of oil goes up or the cost pcf of gas...thus the expensive extraction becomes reasonable as a profit can be made.

as a society, there are always other questions that should and must be asked. many of these questions get put to the back burner because profit usually trumps all in a "capitalist" society, and long-term issues are hard to frame for people.

case in point...what are the costs associate with clean-up of hazardous storage ponds, wastewater treatment plants, or a need for advanced water treatment once a source supply is contaminated? who pays for hauling potable water? who pays for the healthcare costs of impacted residents?

who pays for the properties that residents can no longer sell because lenders will not loan to buyers for properties with unknown liabilities?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You hope... there is not one alternative, there are several alternatives that can and should be developed and some would be viable within a decade... but they won't.
That's a pretty big plum to pick don't you think? May I ask why you would think anyone that could make such tech available would hold it back? For example suppose Exxon come up with this ridiculously cheap way to produce an alternative to oil. Do you think they would just sit on it and hope no one else figures it out or do they patent it and reap the trillions in profits?

Quote:
Oil and Gas industry insiders like yourself block and disincentivise the development of alternatives out of self interest and greed.
I've never hidden who I am but it gets tiresome repeating myself. What I will tell you is "industry insider" I am not.

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
See my Chatham post above, those things don't get fixed. The drillers move on and the producer ignore the mess.

please refrain from (1) attacking cuz I posted a link and (2) because the link is from NYtimes. point of the link is that it directs you to a 1987 EPA report on fracking. yes, thats right, 1987.

in 1984 the EPA began investigating fracking. a documented case of groundwater contamination was investigated and proven....do i need to repeat that?

the other major finding - every other major case of a fracking contamination incident was not investigated because court cases were settled and the cases were sealed.

quick summary - there is a documented case and potential 1000's more, which is why there is a call for the cases to be unsealed especially those dating back a few years.

problem - fracking is an awesome technology pretty much developed in America....which makes it a very profitable export commodity for American manufacturers. this is probably the main reason there has been little response by government to truly understand the issue.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

sorry here's the link - Documents: A Case of Fracking-Related Contamination - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
If it isn't a big deal, then drink the flammable water with fracking materials in it for a week.
I'll repeat it again, it's been mentioned in the local news reports and was told to me by someone that lives near there the flammable water was issue before the fracking. Having said that the it's certainly possible the fracking exacerbated the problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
So strange. It use to be the conservative view that the long term should be what was considered in making decision that could impact the country. They looked down their noses at those who would jump on the bandwagon for quick fixes and short-sighted solutions. Now it appears that those who proclaim that type of philosophy are "left wingers" while the so called "conservatives" are anything BUT conservative when it comes to anything that will make a quick buck.....no matter what the long term impact on the country might be.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
FYI, I read your industry produced propaganda.... Try reading this;

Dr. Robert (Bob) Myers' Website

You can post a thousand nonsense posts in every shade of the rainbow, it isn't going to alter the fact that fracking contaminants drinking water.
Of course, you read the part of that link about the drinking water in that Wyoming town. The one where they were reporting it long before any fracking was done in the area? They still haven't proved your point with two deep wells the EPA drilled which were hundreds of feet deeper than the towns drinking water comes from.

I will try your link but don't think it will be any more than what I have called all your sources.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

52,689 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears that the EPA and and other regulating agencies of our government will use various methods to throw fear into people. Lisa Jackson recently told a committee of Congress that they have no proof that fracking is causing some of the problems they report and just a short time later they went after an operation in Wyoming.

As a candidate for President, Obama pledged that good science would guide policy in his Administration, but his actions belie his words. He says he's for jobs and for economic recovery, yet he dithers on approval of the Keystone Pipeline. Obama claims that, "Last year…oil production from federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico reached an all-time time high," but his own energy department reports production in the Gulf is down by 300,000 barrels per day after his misguided moratorium. He spews the radical left's lie that "we only have 2 percent" of the world's energy reserves when numerous government and independent reports prove America has vast resources if only our government would let them be harvested.

My dad often warned me about people who "would say one thing, but do another." That's the kind of President and Administration that is in Washington now. So, if you heard Barack Obama last month at a press conference say that his administration is "all in" for domestic energy production; believe just the opposite. Expect more debilitating, delaying, costly regulation. Expect more federal land and off-shore reserves to be put off-limits. Expect more "sloppy" reports like Pavillion designed to move a political agenda. And, expect billions more of borrowed dollars to be squandered on false green-gods like Solyndra in order to mollify and reward his political cronies. This isn't about science, and it isn't about good government. It's just politics; Obama style.

Fracking: The Radical Left's Latest Weapon of Fear - Bob Beauprez - Townhall Finance

Spot on. With Barry, it's always about the agenda. His agenda.

B-O must G-O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies