Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,957,202 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/bu....html?_r=1&hpw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,244,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

That is an interesting read especially these words: With many private-sector labor unions growing smaller and weaker, and with public-sector unions under attack in numerous states, some employers think the time is ideal to use lockouts, a forceful approach they were once reluctant to use.

I just wonder what is the worst of the labor - employer methods to deal with the other people. It seems to me that the lockout might be a bit worse since the owners can do without income longer than the workers .

Now that makes me sound like a good union man, doesn't it? I am not a union supporter although I do support the worker.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,202,865 times
During slow eco. times the method a union has is to slow down neg. with the employer is to delay as long as possible working on a new contract. Most labor contracts have clauses in them to reneg. as long as both sides agree. The lock out is being used to move the union where they dont want to go.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM

Judging by how dire things sound for the sugar manufacturing employees, it does sound like they never saved any emergency funds, which means the logical thing to do would be for them to pressure their union to bring management's proposal up for a vote.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,666,766 times
Have used the threat of this action twice in the last 11 years to keep my shop union free.

Fortunately I have that option.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,403,685 times
It's almost funny, the kind of ramifications you get when employees demand to be paid more than they are worth. In many industries (auto manufacturing springs to mind), it turned out that overpaying for labor was simply not sustainable.

Each employee is free to wander off after any payday, and go work for a company that will pay them a higher fraction of their value--or go into business for themselves. Lockouts offer similar flexibility to employers.

The fact that the value of the labor of some does not afford the kind of lifestyle they desire is beside the point, and not the employer's problem.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,920,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
It's almost funny, the kind of ramifications you get when employees demand to be paid more than they are worth. In many industries (auto manufacturing springs to mind), it turned out that overpaying for labor was simply not sustainable.
Interesting. Paid more than they are worth... hmmm... I guess that thread scrolled away, the one about German auto workers doing the same job as UAW workers getting $67/hr. I mean... now that UAW hires get $14/hr, is that more like it, or are they still overpaid? Who decides what is "over paying" and why should we listen to them?

H (recalling that after the Great Depression great advantage was taken of workers by managment so much so that the government stepped in and passed minimum wage laws... go ahead, keep beating workers back to unsustainably low wages, see how long it takes for 1. civil unrest or 2. government involvement.)

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM

17,001 posts, read 12,576,730 times
>German auto workers doing the same job as UAW workers getting $67/hr. I mean... now that UAW hires get $14/hr<

How Germany Builds Twice as Many Cars as the U.S. While Paying Its Workers Twice as Much - Forbes

Poor comparison using base wage vs. full benefits rate.

Of course then I see the righties essentially saying Joe Average is an overpaid baby who should be grateful for 8 bucks an hour. I got mine **** you!

And we wonder why this country is so dysfunctional.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM

"Who decides what is "over paying" and why should we listen to them?"

The market decides, and if one does not wish to listen, well with 1 in 6 un or underemployed, the one opting out is not missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies