Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?

As long as Obama is gone that's all that matters.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?
If 2007-2008 economic meltdown was normal, I hope we never return to it. Or if Iraq war, and everything that came with it was normal, then I hope we never return to it. No thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Bush's big flaw was the Iraq war. If that unfortunate mistake hadn't happened, then he would have been quite a normal president.
I wouldn't call the Iraq War an "unfortunate mistake". I'd call it a major calamity, and one of the biggest mistakes any President has ever made.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
Quote:
Bush's big flaw was the Iraq war. If that unfortunate mistake hadn't happened, then he would have been quite a normal president.
what about not finishing the job in Afghanistan?
cutting taxes when we were getting ready to goto war?
SCOTUS appointments that think money = free speech?
massive loss of liberty through the patriot act?
massive bail-outs of the financial services sector?
$5 trillion plus in new debt?
nearly 8 years of stagnating economic growth?
a break even on job growth, which over that long of time is actually a net job loss as new jobs didn't keep up with population growth?

forget the WMD's, please tell me where the Iraqi oil money is that is supposed to pay America back for liberating them?

how short-sighted we can be in recalling recent history

our system is messed up in how we create electoral districts and elect people to government. it's not government itself that is wrong...

Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:

1. To answer your question: IF a Republican gets elected, NO America will not return to its "core values".

2. You must have been asleep during Dumbya's stint. It sure felt like one big, huge con game to me.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
I didn't feel "normal" when we had the last one. In case you didn't notice, 911 and two wars started during his presidency. I am not sure what you mean by "normal," but I definitely felt more secure when Clinton was in office. Now if you are talking about the right-wing side show that starts every time a we have a Democrat POTUS, well I can see how you might feel more normal.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
You call that premeditated, calculated LIE and CON job an "unfortunate mistake"?

Considering all the military widows and orphans, that is a despicable statement.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM

115 posts, read 207,949 times
Quote:

After growing up primarily in Bush's era, a republican president does feel more normal, and I'll admit, having Obama as president has been "Weird". I prefer Obama, but it does feel like his presidency has been much shakier and on edge compared to that of Bush, which was comfortable and solid. I don't particularly believe in any of the republican candidates right now, but I have to admit, Mitt Romney seems like a guy I could get used to at least.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:

The conditions didn't feel "normal" or "right" for a reason: They all wanted to destroy our great country. They all hate America and everything it stands for. Republicans stand for patriotism, freedom, prosperity, and liberty. Can America return to its core values? Sure, it can, but it will take some time. And with the right people in our elected offices, good things can happen again.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The conditions didn't feel "normal" or "right" for a reason: They all wanted to destroy our great country. They all hate America and everything it stands for. .
I don't know one single "normal" person who would say this about any modern day President. I wouldn't even say this about Nixon, who I felt was a crook. I mean if you really think about what your saying you'd realize how absurd it is. Why would someone who hates America and everything it stands spend a fortune to become President of the USA, which is probably one of the most stressful jobs in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies