Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes he did. As did boehner, he is sad really. They hold nothing but hatred in their hearts, that is sad.

I didn't get to see the rebuttals and after commentary, I want to try and watch that today. I *thought* I heard someone say in the beginning of the rebuttal that obama did not create this economic mess. That may be wrong, as I was just about asleep.
Mitch Daniels gave the GOP response and I thought it was very good. He did acknowledge that this economic condition was not created by Obama. In addition, he complimented him on being an family man who clearly loves his wife and children. I thought that was gentlemanly because there is no reason to attack Obama's family as he has shown a commitment to his family.

His main point was that this was less about political ideology and more about it being a math problem. In essence, that our current spending can no longer be supported and unless we change this, we are facing a Greece like economic disaster.

It was measured and did not get into the emotional aspect. I thought it was one of the better GOP responses I've heard to a State of the Union. Most of them, quite frankly, have been pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like it or not, but this thread is about the speech
Then why are you dsicussing how Cantor looked?
Quote:
Cantor looked as angry as angry can be. I feel sorry for people like that.
Seems to me you want to discuss only what you want to discuss while making personal attacks for those who disagree with you.
Quote:
Did I mention something about bitterness already? LOL You can't hide it, can you. heh-heh
Its pretty stupid to think that someone who doesnt need government to survive is bitter, but that didnt stop you from saying it.. twice now

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
While I found parts of his speech to be good in terms of his speaking ability, it was one lacking substance. I thought Daniels rebuttal contained far more information that was relevant to fixing this country.

I get immediately turned off too when the President resorts to the class warfare. It is nothingm ore than a shifting of the blame from the irresponsibilites of the government to the folks who define success. Daniels actually addressed this and in a much better fashion too especially when it comes to the tax codes. And I don't think the President will ever learn. He thinks the federal government is here to take on more "great projects" when in fact we need fewer of these.

I also found it incredibly hypocritical for the President to mention the finanical systems playing by the rules when he himself let them do otherwise.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I also found it incredibly hypocritical for the President to mention the finanical systems playing by the rules when he himself let them do otherwise.
The first thing that came to my mind when Obama was discussing penalizing the offshoring of american jobs, was GE, and the billions in tax credits they got from the Obama stimulus package, and the CEO, who now has job in government, to help create american jobs.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its pretty stupid to think that someone who doesnt need government to survive is bitter, but that didnt stop you from saying it.. twice now
I am talking about the way you present yourself here. Your words drip bitter hatred toward everything and everyone you don't agree with. It's a heavy burden to carry. Just saying....

Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The first thing that came to my mind when Obama was discussing penalizing the offshoring of american jobs, was GE, and the billions in tax credits they got from the Obama stimulus package, and the CEO, who now has job in government, to help create american jobs.
My thoughts exactly. The hypocricy is amazing but some people who think he "hit it out of the aprk" with this speech are easily duped.

I see so many people waking up to the inconsistencies and I have a feeling that even the billion dollar war chest he has for campaigning won't do him any good.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
My thoughts exactly. The hypocricy is amazing but some people who think he "hit it out of the aprk" with this speech are easily duped.

I see so many people waking up to the inconsistencies and I have a feeling that even the billion dollar war chest he has for campaigning won't do him any good.
The president called for massively increasing the complexity of the tax code. With double deductions for tech manufacturing, special treatment for all manufacturing, and additional punitive provisions on our global producers, Washington's heavy hand would weigh even heavier on our economy.

The raw cynicism of claiming credit for domestic energy success, when he has fought it tooth and nail for three years, is breath-taking.

To see a speech that truly hit it out of the park, re-read Reagan's 1984 SOTU. He used words that evidently are not in President Obama's vocabulary, "freedom" and "liberty," and made the connection between those words and the vibrant economic recovery that was well under way after the turmoil of the Nixon-Ford-Carter era.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
I will say this..he does speak well

really didnt not like his support of amnesty

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
Why does he say he is against offshore jobs, yet praise Apple for being an innovator??? Apple makes all their products in China with $17 a day in wages (per recent NYTIMES article).

Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the way you present yourself here. Your words drip bitter hatred toward everything and everyone you don't agree with. It's a heavy burden to carry. Just saying....
This from the poster who said they only want to discuss Obamas speach.. Sure looks like you want to talk about anything but. Dont stop posting your hatred for those who disagree with reality, its well on display for everyone to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies