Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times

Advertisements

I just find hilarious that a man who is running for the Presidency of the US and wants to create jobs in the US has most of his wealth in foreign accounts! Hypocrisy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM

78,401 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I agree.

We need to take the $$ out of politics though. No PAC's/Corporations involved.

100$ contribution limit
Yeah, unfortunately that trough is already well established.

Any talk of reform is generally just hot air directed at villifying the other party as being in the pocket of various interests.

In reality, almost all the major companies donate nicely to both parties.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
I don't understand how the wealthy are leaving you with the tab. I am sure a lot of wealthy people have a percentage of their money off shore, but not all of it. They still pay most of the taxes in this country.

But, if they're holding their money off shore to shield it from taxation, somebody has to pick up the difference and it's you and I.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I agree.

We need to take the $$ out of politics though. No PAC's/Corporations involved.

100$ contribution limit
The only way to get the money out of politics is public financing of campaigns or compulsory media time, which essentially shifts the cost burden of our elections onto media outlets. That's not fair. And, total public financing would literally run into the trillions of dollars if every level of government is included, unless that's accompanied by some serious campaign and election law reforms. For instance, limiting the amount of time for campaigning, as France does. Nobody is allowed to campaign there until, I think, 6 weeks before the election. That not only shortens the whole process, but greatly reduces the cost of being elected as well.

It's pretty simple: The less money it takes to run a campaign, the less time politician's will have to spend on fund raising and the less they'll have to promise to get the dough.

Everybody likes to rail against "special interest" groups and PAC's, but guess what? That's us! If you belong to the NRA, the VFW, the American Legion, the Chamber of Commerce, the cattlemen's association, the Republican or Democratic parties or any one of thousand other groups, YOU'RE a special interest and, if we cut off all of those, we'll cut ourselves out from influencing government too.

And, why shouldn't corporations be allowed to lobby Congress just as we can? They too have a direct interest in the laws which are passed and a stake in our democracy. Why should their voice be silenced?

No, the solution isn't to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but to reform the system we have to shorten the campaign season and preclude EXCESSIVE influence peddling. We already have laws on the books to address outright graft and corruption. Aggressively enforcing those would be a good place to start.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
The fact that he pays less than 15% or has money off shore isn't the issue--it's his attitude about paying less than 15%, etc. When he stands there and tells people like me that I'm JEALOUS because I'm a small business owner paying taxes out the nose and he pays next to zip, that when I start getting ticked off. We have some serious problems with the tax code in this country, and he obviously isn't going to be the person to fix them.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not illegal, but what does it say about the person who does that?

The rest of us pay taxes because we don't have the option of moving large sums off shore. Romney, like the rest of the elites, uses laws and regulations crafted for their advantage to skip out on their responsibilities as citizens. When he flies, he takes advantage of the air traffic control system. When he drives, he uses the interstates. Those are paid for by tax payers, but he apparently doesn't want to pay his fair share.

He's NOT one of us.

I believe the question is, how much more do yo uwant him to pay? Before he was able to go with these off shore accounts...he paid taxes at the average tax rate, right? Now when he get the money to go to these off shore bank, he still pays taxes, right.

If your complainning about, go get rich...that's the great thing about America....

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I just find hilarious that a man who is running for the Presidency of the US and wants to create jobs in the US has most of his wealth in foreign accounts! Hypocrisy?
Nope....is he still paying taxes to the U.S.?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I believe the question is, how much more do yo uwant him to pay? Before he was able to go with these off shore accounts...he paid taxes at the average tax rate, right? Now when he get the money to go to these off shore bank, he still pays taxes, right.

If your complainning about, go get rich...that's the great thing about America....
But, he's not paying taxes on that portion parked off shore and it's there for that specific reason.

Legal? Yes. Morally defensible? No.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM

59,041 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

The rest of us pay taxes because we don't have the option of moving large sums off shore. Romney, like the rest of the elites, uses laws and regulations crafted for their advantage to skip out on their responsibilities as citizens. When he flies, he takes advantage of the air traffic control system. When he drives, he uses the interstates. Those are paid for by tax payers, but he apparently doesn't want to pay his fair share.

He's NOT one of us.
Do you have ANY kind of proof that he is NOT paying taxes on it?

let me see, he is doing nothing ILLEGAL. He is abiding by the existing tax codes and you don't like it.

Why don't YOU work to get the tax laws changes if you don't like it.

I'd be willing to bet some dems voted in FAVOR of the codes you are against. They probably introduced the bill.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:

He's NOT one of us.
No he's not. I would imagine that none of the people on this board pays 3 million dollars per year in taxes to the federal government. Or gives 7 million dollars per year to charities.

So Romney pays more to secure those skies and maintain those interstates in one year than you or I will pay in our lifetimes. But somehow that's not a fair share to you. Tell us exactly what a fair share is or shut up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies