U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM

357 posts, read 1,251,857 times

Advertisements

i am an evangelical who attends church, but usually sits in the back rows and usually does'nt engage in discussion with others on the topic of social conservatism/republican politics.

However, i would eventually like to become more involved, but there is something about myself that i think may hinder me in a social setting composed of mainly white, American-born conservatives....This factor is that i am of South Asian (brown-skinned) descent and have an Arabic name (my name is not actaully scottyr, like Obama, my paternal grandfather was a practising Muslim).

Now i know that most white Republicans are not racist in the slightest, and consider morality and truthsaying more important than bloodlines, however i can';t help but think that people may believe i am a "secret muslim" or a muslim that adheres to the passage in the Koran that calls on muslims to pretend they are Christians to gain political advantage. Of course i could change my name to Pablo Sanchez and pretend i'm Mexican, but if i ran for office or something (i probably won't, but hey anythings possible), i know that the record of the name change would come up and people would be even more suspicious.

I know we don't like Obama because he is liberal (and i am not liberal) but i feel that if people could assume he was a secret muslim, that they will assume the same about me since i come from a similar ethnic background (im sort of like a conservative Obama)

I know there are some people of Muslim ancestry that conservatives in America seem to trust (like Walid Shoebat), but would you guys ever vote for Walid or someone like him if he ran for office, or is having ancestry from an Islamic country a black mark that one can never get ride of? I even remember some allegations that Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley were secret muslims due to their south asian ancestry and i believe another Republican condemned Nikki as a "*********" and said "we already have a ********* as president, why do we need another one in office?" or something to that effect.

Im not trying to troll, i'm genuinely concerned about this...should i undergo a name change? If i do so, will they throw away the records of my old name?

And for the record, i am a follower of Christ and NOT a secret muslim

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
i am an evangelical who attends church, but usually sits in the back rows and usually does'nt engage in discussion with others on the topic of social conservatism/republican politics.

However, i would eventually like to become more involved, but there is something about myself that i think may hinder me in a social setting composed of mainly white, American-born conservatives....This factor is that i am of South Asian (brown-skinned) descent and have an Arabic name (my name is not actaully scottyr, like Obama, my paternal grandfather was a practising Muslim).

Now i know that most white Republicans are not racist in the slightest, and consider morality and truthsaying more important than bloodlines, however i can';t help but think that people may believe i am a "secret muslim" or a muslim that adheres to the passage in the Koran that calls on muslims to pretend they are Christians to gain political advantage. Of course i could change my name to Pablo Sanchez and pretend i'm Mexican, but if i ran for office or something (i probably won't, but hey anythings possible), i know that the record of the name change would come up and people would be even more suspicious.

I know we don't like Obama because he is liberal (and i am not liberal) but i feel that if people could assume he was a secret muslim, that they will assume the same about me since i come from a similar ethnic background (im sort of like a conservative Obama)

I know there are some people of Muslim ancestry that conservatives in America seem to trust (like Walid Shoebat), but would you guys ever vote for Walid or someone like him if he ran for office, or is having ancestry from an Islamic country a black mark that one can never get ride of? I even remember some allegations that Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley were secret muslims due to their south asian ancestry and i believe another Republican condemned Nikki as a "*********" and said "we already have a ********* as president, why do we need another one in office?" or something to that effect.

Im not trying to troll, i'm genuinely concerned about this...should i undergo a name change? If i do so, will they throw away the records of my old name?

And for the record, i am a follower of Christ and NOT a secret muslim
You're basing your question on an invalid assumption that all Christian's are like the Evangelical wing of the Republican Party. We are not.

I don't know where you live, but you'd certainly be warmly welcomed in MY little Baptist Church!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,821,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're basing your question on an invalid assumption that all Christian's are like the Evangelical wing of the Republican Party. We are not.

I don't know where you live, but you'd certainly be warmly welcomed in MY little Baptist Church!
He was asking about conservative Evangelicals. Is that how you would describe your church?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM

13,984 posts, read 10,928,441 times
If evangelical Christians do treat you this way, maybe you should ask yourself how Christ-like they really are and question why you would want to associate with such people.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
He was asking about conservative Evangelicals. Is that how you would describe your church?

No. My church doesn't define it's faith with political labels. We define our church by our faith in Christ, our love of our fellow man and the work we do for the Lord. Liberal or conservative doesn't enter into it. And, it shouldn't!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,901,261 times
scottyr, what do you consider to be an "evangelical conservative community"?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
scottyr, what do you consider to be an "evangelical conservative community"?
well, the community that shares the values that i hold dear. Belief in Christ as saviour, homosexuality and abortion are sinful, government should follow Biblical policies, Islam is false, evolution is false, our military is just and important, etc

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

428 posts, read 399,781 times
Quote:
Now i know that most white Republicans are not racist in the slightest, and consider morality and truthsaying more important than bloodlines
Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
Thanks for the chuckle.
the Republican party and its followers have made tremendous progress on the acceptance of blacks, hispanics, Jews and asians. Unfortunatly, many \Americans, conservative or not, think all Arabs/South Asians must be Muslim

Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
government should follow Biblical policies,
Oops. Sorry. You WON'T fit in at our church. Our pastor is deliberately non-political and so are most of us. We agree that there is NO scriptural foundation for the idea of imposing Christian order on society. In fact, a good many of us believe that's a false doctrine.

It seems that like a lot of Evangelical Republican's, you have a hard time separating the Gospel for the GOP campaign platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies