Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM

57 posts, read 31,206 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if you are offended but I want to share my experiences and look for responses.

I live in the south eastern area of the country. In my town, a great deal of people live in government housing projects yet they drive expensive cars. Some live off of the government unemployment checks, yet they don't try to get jobs. Where I work, I deal with around 5-10 people a week that come in and ask me to sign a letter stating that they attempted to get employment for their unemployment checks. Many of them refuse to take the time to even apply. How is it that this system is efficient? I'm not generalizing because i know many people that use unemployment and get jobs and do well for themselves. I just think its odd that the country is heading towards a people of entitlement rather than a working people. Does anyone else see something wrong with people living on government assistance while they buy expensive clothes cars and jewelry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Forgive me if you are offended but I want to share my experiences and look for responses.

I live in the south eastern area of the country. In my town, a great deal of people live in government housing projects yet they drive expensive cars. Some live off of the government unemployment checks, yet they don't try to get jobs. Where I work, I deal with around 5-10 people a week that come in and ask me to sign a letter stating that they attempted to get employment for their unemployment checks. Many of them refuse to take the time to even apply. How is it that this system is efficient? I'm not generalizing because i know many people that use unemployment and get jobs and do well for themselves. I just think its odd that the country is heading towards a people of entitlement rather than a working people. Does anyone else see something wrong with people living on government assistance while they buy expensive clothes cars and jewelry?
What kind of expensive cars? Bentley's? Maybach's? Mercedes? And they can afford to make payments on those cars with unemployment?

Your story doesn't hold up, but whatever. You'll stick to it regardless.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM

I can show you Cadillac Escalades and Mercedes cars parked in front of the projects all over my town. I can show you people that I sign those unemployment forms for that pull out in those very cars and wear big gold chains and rings... How does that not hold up?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
I can show you Cadillac Escalades and Mercedes cars parked in front of the projects all over my town. I can show you people that I sign those unemployment forms for that pull out in those very cars and wear big gold chains and rings... How does that not hold up?
At one point those people who collect unemployment were employed. How does one qualify for housing projects if they are employed??

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
Maybe if Obama would stop extending the unemployment benefits they'd actually go back to work?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
What state pays enough in unemployment to make an Escalade (60k base price....easily a $1000 per month) or a Mercedes (even lowest model is about 45k...easily 700+ per month) payment with unemployment?

So you ride through the projects all the time, huh? Most people are pretty frightened to go through those areas, but you go through all the time and identify the car brands, right?

Big gold chains? Uh....maybe in 1985. No one wears that anymore. The dookie rope era ended about 20years ago.

You're not convincing.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Look, this situation is hard to believe but this is exactly how it is in my town. I don't know how they are able to collect unemployment, live in projects, and have expensive belongings but they do. Either way, it's simply wrong and I can't believe that 100% of unemployed Americans want jobs..

I recently found out that my close friend has a distant cousing that is collecting disability every month by faking an inability to read.... This is sick

Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Maybe if Obama would stop extending the unemployment benefits they'd actually go back to work?
How much longer did he extend the unemployment benefits by?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
At one point those people who collect unemployment were employed. How does one qualify for housing projects if they are employed??
It goes by income levels. So you can work and still be in the projects or get Section 8 like this lady.

Quote:
The first week after they arrived in New York, Ms. Brown found work at a McDonald’s, making $7.25 an hour. “I’d come home,” she said, “and all I could do was fall over in the bed.”

She had also secured a federally subsidized housing voucher that allowed her family to live rent free in a three-bedroom apartment in Brownsville, which is meagerly furnished with items they had picked up on the street. (None of her children’s fathers help financially except for her youngest daughter’s, Ms. Brown said.)
Brownsville is pretty much the worst place in NYC but hey she gets free rent and about $800 in food stamps. Since she works and has minor children she'll get the Earned Income Credit as well about 6-7K.

It's quite easy to believe that someone in similar circumstances could afford a decent car maybe not a Mercedes but a Nissan Altima or Ford Taurus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What state pays enough in unemployment to make an Escalade (60k base price....easily a $1000 per month) or a Mercedes (even lowest model is about 45k...easily 700+ per month) payment with unemployment?

So you ride through the projects all the time, huh? Most people are pretty frightened to go through those areas, but you go through all the time and identify the car brands, right?

Big gold chains? Uh....maybe in 1985. No one wears that anymore. The dookie rope era ended about 20years ago.

You're not convincing.

Our projects aren't farm from main business roads. To get from one area of town to two of our interstates, you have to go through the projects. I don't have to prove myself to you, I'm sure other people out there know what I'm talking about. As for the big gold chains, you need a reality check, many people (incline famous people) wear gold teeth, chains, rings and earrings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies