U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,508,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Hard to be racist if you have no power lol
Not really. I find those who feel they have an axe to grind are among the most racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,983,150 times
Quote:
Everyone has the power of their own thoughts and opinions AND the freedom to express them. That makes it possible for anyone to be racist--from either side of the divide and in any direction.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM

1,852 posts, read 1,559,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not really. I find those who feel they have an axe to grind are among the most racist.
How can they affect you? Tell me what they can do to negatively affect your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Everyone has the power of their own thoughts and opinions AND the freedom to express them. That makes it possible for anyone to be racist--from either side of the divide and in any direction.
Okay, and what's exactly will that do to you? I'm not speaking shooting someone because most sane people won't go that far. How will my negative views of you negatively impact your life? What job can i keep you out off? What area can i prevent you from living in?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM

15,340 posts, read 7,837,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Trumping the old "GOP is racist" meme is this comment-

The Art of Racial Politics

"As a white man married to a black woman, and having grown up in integrated neighborhoods and schools, there is no doubt that the following from your editorial is true. It has been an orchestrated campaign for 40 years by liberal democrats in every urban center in the country. Ask yourself the question are these areas better off now than they were before 40 years of "progressive, liberal, Democrat" help?

"The phrase "maximize dependency" is a particularly interesting one because it suggests a systematic, orchestrated campaign by the president and liberals in general to keep blacks poor and dependent on “big government” as a way of insuring their continued political support.""

Both parties contribute to oppression which is as class-driven as it is racist. Anyone familiar with reality on both sides of the racial divide knows this.
You should read the article that your comment is quoting from. It is discussing Newt Gingrich and his comments that he made back in January regarding how he felt that poor people should be janitors to teach them how to work hard Here is the whole quote from Gingrich:
Quote:
It tells you everything you need to know about the difference between Barack Obama and the five of us: that we actually think work is good (applause). We actually think saying to somebody “I’ll help you if you’re willing to help yourself” is good (applause). And we think unconditionally efforts by the best food stamp president in American history to maximize dependency is terrible for the future of this country (applause).
Here is the article's response to the above quote.
Quote:
The phrase “maximize dependency” is a particularly interesting one because it suggests a systematic, orchestrated campaign by the president and liberals in general to keep blacks poor and dependent on “big government” as a way of insuring their continued political support. This is a classic, right-wing, race-based argument in a new suit.
This is the conclusion of the article:

Quote:
Gingrich seems to understand the historical weight of the view among some southern whites, many of whom have migrated to the Republican party, that blacks are lazy and addicted to handouts. He is able to give voice to those feelings without using those words. He is able to make people believe that a fundamentally flawed and prejudicial argument that demeans minorities is actually for their uplift. It is Gingrich’s gift: He is able to make ill will sound like good will.
Here is the article itself.

Also contrary to what many of you continue to believe, black people ARE better off than we were 40 years ago. So that argument was and is flawed thinking. Forty years ago over half of black people lived in poverty. Today over 75% don't live in poverty and the poverty rate has been cut in half.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,039,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Is it possible that racism is slowly flipping sides on America? I sometimes feel like black people have hard feelings towards me over what happened during the civil rights movement. Many occasions I have been accused of racism for helping a white person first at work even if that person came in first. I have had kids call me white cracker at school. I just feel like groups like the NAACP are on the rampage to never let America forget e atrocities that took place during the civil rights movement. In stead of becoming a nation of equality, I feel like the hate is being spread on the other side of the table now. That hate is based on something 50 years old that I wasn't even here for....
Any time there are significant economic and social changes you are going to see a rise in racism.

The changing demographics in this country along with the economic restructuring this country is experiencinf has a lot of people nervous about their place in society and their future.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,508,828 times
Quote:
How can they affect you? Tell me what they can do to negatively affect your life.

Okay, and what's exactly will that do to you? I'm not speaking shooting someone because most sane people won't go that far. How will my negative views of you negatively impact your life? What job can i keep you out off? What area can i prevent you from living in?
It negatively impacts our society when a certain group hold grudges against another group over a past long ago that has no relevance to today's Americans.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,983,906 times
Quote:
^^A classic example of learned helplessness. This is what immigrant blacks cannot understand about American blacks.

Why do black Americans enjoy living on the Democrat Plantation so much if they really feel they have no power?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,997,408 times
Quote:
^^A classic example of learned helplessness. This is what immigrant blacks cannot understand about American blacks.

Why do black Americans enjoy living on the Democrat Plantation so much if they really feel they have no power?

Many of them are just like looters that will steal in an emergency because they feel they are entitled to all of these toys. They'll ignore any semblance of pride and self-respect for the freebies.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,178,112 times
Quote:

Most immigrant blacks, especially Caribbean vote Democrat as well, I know this. I am one myself, albeit I came here when I was small. Most I know, regardless of their economic standing, vote Dem. This is not just an issue with American Blacks. Also, depending on which neighborhoods they immigrate to, many Caribbean American children are in the same boat as their Black American counterparts.

Honestly, I think it is foolish to blame white people for all of our problems, or the fact that we have black skin as the sole reason for our failure. But lets be honest about something, blacks have never been had enough power to hold down whites on a large scale, in America. Even after slavery ended, many blacks in the South had their land stolen from then and there was even domestic terrorism against blacks in America who tried to be economically independent (Black Wall Street). And then let's not get started with Jim Crow. Too many people are surprised that blacks are not doing as well as whites, yet act as if the situation has no background behind it.

Listen, I am not saying we should use these things as excuses as to why we should not want to accomplish things at all. Sadly, many blacks have passed on the inferiority and victim complex that was told to them on to their children and grandchildren as well, mentally many blacks still are not free.

Point is this, a lot of the ill feelings many blacks have did not happen without any merit and these problems did not appear out of thin air. Even if we were all the same color, society would still need an underclass.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM

19,661 posts, read 14,643,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Most immigrant blacks, especially Caribbean vote Democrat as well, I know this. I am one myself, albeit I came here when I was small. Most I know, regardless of their economic standing, vote Dem. This is not just an issue with American Blacks. Also, depending on which neighborhoods they immigrate to, many Caribbean American children are in the same boat as their Black American counterparts.

Honestly, I think it is foolish to blame white people for all of our problems, or the fact that we have black skin as the sole reason for our failure. But lets be honest about something, blacks have never been had enough power to hold down whites on a large scale, in America. Even after slavery ended, many blacks in the South had their land stolen from then and there was even domestic terrorism against blacks in America who tried to be economically independent (Black Wall Street). And then let's not get started with Jim Crow. Too many people are surprised that blacks are not doing as well as whites, yet act as if the situation has no background behind it.

Listen, I am not saying we should use these things as excuses as to why we should not want to accomplish things at all. Sadly, many blacks have passed on the inferiority and victim complex that was told to them on to their children and grandchildren as well, mentally many blacks still are not free.

Point is this, a lot of the ill feelings many blacks have did not happen without any merit and these problems did not appear out of thin air. Even if we were all the same color, society would still need an underclass.
Apparently the Prez didn't get that note handed down to him. Self imposed limits combined with institutionalized racism, reinforced internally, and by the Media keeps us from untilizing all of the brain power available in our country. This is probably one of the greatest potentials for growth we have in this country.

Like the United Negro College fund slogan says: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste". Applies to all

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-24-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or