U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,863,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
S'what i was kinda thinking. How would one know that.

But of course, that would apply to my own post too. But i always take into account what humans have the propensity to think or believe. I lean moreso to the side that most folks don't say what they think rather than the other way around.

Does that mean that a hell of a lot more folks are racist than what i think? In my opinion, yes. But can i offer objective proof without knowing them personally? Not really.
I certainly think that it benefits people of a given ideology to propose that racism is everywhere still and it benefits people of the opposing ideology to to propose that racism is hardly anywhere any longer.

That said, what percent of people need to be street criminals to make a city unsafe? One criminal can impact many people. I think the same holds true for one racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM

50,163 posts, read 26,566,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I certainly think that it benefits people of a given ideology to propose that racism is everywhere still and it benefits people of the opposing ideology to to propose that racism is hardly anywhere any longer.

That said, what percent of people need to be street criminals to make a city unsafe? One criminal can impact many people. I think the same holds true for one racist.
True.

But i'm a strong believer that it has to be nipped in the bud fairly quickly. The few incidents that i've had with racism were solved by immediately calling the offender on the carpet and letting it be known that i see it and won't tolerate it. If i've gotten all wrong, then i'll acknowledge it in the face of proof and i'll back down and apologize. I've done that a few times, and it's almost always ended in a handshake and a better understanding of both of our positions.

I think the biggest problem with racism is when it's allowed to fester and no one wants to call it out. And worse, when it's falsely called out, often the accuser won't back down and apologize when faced with the proof of wrong accusations.

I don't know why people are so strident and intransigent. Bend a little. I've come to realize that what my dad used to say is so true....it's more important to understand ones intent moreso than what they say. Some folks are just inartful, and they don't mean any harm. I have a white friend that's like that. You'd swear he was a racist, but nothing could be further from the truth. He just doesn't know how to talk to people, and worse, he's not articulate when it comes to matters of relations between people....he wasn't socialized properly as a kid. I understand this after talking for hours with him, but other people i know don't understand.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
True.

But i'm a strong believer that it has to be nipped in the bud fairly quickly. The few incidents that i've had with racism were solved by immediately calling the offender on the carpet and letting it be known that i see it and won't tolerate it. If i've gotten all wrong, then i'll acknowledge it in the face of proof and i'll back down and apologize. I've done that a few times, and it's almost always ended in a handshake and a better understanding of both of our positions.

I think the biggest problem with racism is when it's allowed to fester and no one wants to call it out. And worse, when it's falsely called out, often the accuser won't back down and apologize when faced with the proof of wrong accusations.

I don't know why people are so strident and intransigent. Bend a little. I've come to realize that what my dad used to say is so true....it's more important to understand ones intent moreso than what they say. Some folks are just inartful, and they don't mean any harm. I have a white friend that's like that. You'd swear he was a racist, but nothing could be further from the truth. He just doesn't know how to talk to people, and worse, he's not articulate when it comes to matters of relations between people....he wasn't socialized properly as a kid. I understand this after talking for hours with him, but other people i know don't understand.
I agree with you also on the point of which you speak. However, I think that most people who are victims of racism never even know it. I mentioned in another thread a study done by the University of Chicago that sent out resumes to various companies using black sounding names and white sounding names, all other things being equal, and the resumes with white sounding names were twice as likely to get called for inverviews as the resumes with black sounding names. Now, for people who send out resumes and never get a call back......how would they ever know they have been discriminated against? I also think that people are conscious of not being obvious and blatant, because they have a lot to potentially lose if they are exposed. Racist comments are one thing, but stealth racist actions behind the scene are much more damaging.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,502,670 times
Quote:

Very valid point made!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM

286 posts, read 167,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The 1 Millionth thread about race on City-Data... congratulations, people.
You gotta admit, it's a hot topic. no matter how ugly it is.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I agree with you also on the point of which you speak. However, I think that most people who are victims of racism never even know it. I mentioned in another thread a study done by the University of Chicago that sent out resumes to various companies using black sounding names and white sounding names, all other things being equal, and the resumes with white sounding names were twice as likely to get called for inverviews as the resumes with black sounding names. Now, for people who send out resumes and never get a call back......how would they ever know they have been discriminated against? I also think that people are conscious of not being obvious and blatant, because they have a lot to potentially lose if they are exposed. Racist comments are one thing, but stealth racist actions behind the scene are much more damaging.
Yea, i understand what you're saying now. And in truth, that's the most insidious type of racism out there....the kind you don't see.

That said, i've led a personal campaign against some of these names. It needs to stop. I know folks are trying to be original and all, and i'm not making excuses for the bigotry that manifests itself because of these names, but it's still getting out of hand. At this point, there are better ways to lend originality to black children than by saddling them with some of these ridiculous ass names. How about getting them into Harvard? LMAO...that's pretty damn original.

It's funny because despite the fact that most black folks i know agree with me, these damn names continue. I'm hoping that one day they'll simply run out of combinations of ridiculousness and come to their senses.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
You gotta admit, it's a hot topic. no matter how ugly it is.
Yea, it is. At this point, it doesn't even elicit any original responses on the issue. Mostly a bunch of trite nonsense is all that ever gets said about it.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yea, i understand what you're saying now. And in truth, that's the most insidious type of racism out there....the kind you don't see.

That said, i've led a personal campaign against some of these names. It needs to stop. I know folks are trying to be original and all, and i'm not making excuses for the bigotry that manifests itself because of these names, but it's still getting out of hand. At this point, there are better ways to lend originality to black children than by saddling them with some of these ridiculous ass names. How about getting them into Harvard? LMAO...that's pretty damn original.

It's funny because despite the fact that most black folks i know agree with me, these damn names continue. I'm hoping that one day they'll simply run out of combinations of ridiculousness and come to their senses.
LOL....yeah. I can see a potential corporate image problem by having a rep named "babymommadrama Jones". "Babymommadrama will be handling your million dollar account Mr. Vandenburgh" lol.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM

286 posts, read 167,574 times
Quote:
Yea, it is. At this point, it doesn't even elicit any original responses on the issue. Mostly a bunch of trite nonsense is all that ever gets said about it.
True. that comes from guilt mostly. White people got hella guilt on this topic and it makes them very uneasy to talk about it.

That's why I wait until I get them drunk to talk about it the truth comes out then...lol

Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM

105 posts, read 88,824 times
The only way to redue racsim, is to give blacks a free education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or