U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What option do you like better?
Building a 1600 mile oil pipeline that goes across the US 15 40.54%
Building a refinery in North Dakota 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,290,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Let us start with you... what good do you see about the other side on this subject, where they're right?
Nebraska should have asked for the re-route. Good thing from the opposition. Their timing is questionable.

The greenies have a right to be concerned about the environment. Good thing. Shutting down projects like last year's Ruby line months putting thousands out of work because of the migratory pattern of birds.... Idiotic!

Protesters - good - to some extent... Keeps people honest, or at least should.. (and I wish I could still find the picture) but the one about Keystone with the lady holding the sign that says, "Stop Keystone.. we don't need the oil... I ride the bus".... Yea... here's one who I should listen too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM

11,991 posts, read 17,505,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Re Nebraska. Nebraska opposed it over the aquifir. It was a legitimate concern. While I didn't share the concern, knowing about pipeline construction as I do. I never called them dumb. And... they got what they wanted. A re-route. It was the best solution for all involved. So... therefore... it is now a NON-ISSUE. If you had been following the time line all along you would know this. My questioning in all this is the time-line and the information being passed along by not only NE's elected officials, but our own federal government. They all are using this as a political bargaining chip. Every last one of them. Right and Left. And those of us who have been following this drama for over 3 years now knows this.

Re: Promoting and conserving is a good thing. But... do you still drive a car? Do you heat your home? And don't tell me yes, but electric. A big part of electric production is generated from... gasp... natural gas.. delivered in part by pipelines to the generating station. And you can thank my family for that. You willing to go saddle up Mr. Ed to get to work? Willing to go cut and stack cords of wood for your heat? Nah... I didn't think so. Willing to pay 10.00 per gallon at the pump? See.. it's not quite so black and white is it?
EinsteinsGhost drives a BMW.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,907,156 times
Quote:
Nebraska should have asked for the re-route. Good thing from the opposition. Their timing is questionable.
You haven't explained your reasoning. The question was... Why? Until then, you continue to rely on a non-answer.

Quote:
The greenies have a right to be concerned about the environment. Good thing.
You sure seem to hate a lot of what you claim to be good things (per convenience, of course... as useful in political speak). Then you use such words as "hypocrisy" to describe those who disagree with it.

Are you aware of where you stand with your own claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
EinsteinsGhost drives a BMW.
Damn!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

21,556 posts, read 11,619,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Good idea. Cutting emissions from trucks transporting the refined oil is easier to deal with than trying to fix all the thousands of leaks that WILL occur on a 1600 mile pipeline.
"Thousands of leaks?" You have no clue of what you're talking about.

Why do people comment on things when they know nothing of the subject?

I would be shocked if one leak developed on that line in our lifetime that wasn't caused by outside damage (IE a backhoe or trencher)

And how many accidents would the tank trucks or tank rail cars have?

The pipeline is the absolute safest and environmentally friendly way to transport liquids or gas.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
"Thousands of leaks?" You have no clue of what you're talking about.

Why do people comment on things when they know nothing of the subject?

I would be shocked if one leak developed on that line in our lifetime that wasn't caused by outside damage (IE a backhoe or trencher)

And how many accidents would the tank trucks or tank rail cars have?

The pipeline is the absolute safest and environmentally friendly way to transport liquids or gas.
Then Canada should have no problem building their pipeline in their country, you could consult.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Then Canada should have no problem building their pipeline in their country, you could consult.
I thought we were talking about a pipeline to Texas?

And many fail to understand if you build the refinery in ND, you'll still need pipelines! How many trucks do you want to see on the road hauling refined products?

I do work in the pipeline industry, I worked for the pipeline that transports the crude oil from Trans Canada to the Koch Refinery in Rosemount MN many years ago. People don't even realize the line is there most of the time but enough oil flows down that line to feed the gasoline needs of the Twin Cities area and much more. That line was built in the 50's with that technology but still leaks are rare. Pipelines built today? Much better, much safer and will last hundreds of years with proper maintenance.

I'm in the public utility business now and I guarantee you that it's much more likely that the gas line that runs down your street will spring a leak than that cross country oil pipeline.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Also--crude oil is much safer than refined products. We used to suck up as much of the crude that leaked (always the leaks I saw were in the country in a field) and then we hired the farmer to plow chemicals into the soil that would help break down the oil. The next season, where the oil spill was the farmer got his best crops. True story.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You haven't explained your reasoning. The question was... Why? Until then, you continue to rely on a non-answer.

You sure seem to hate a lot of what you claim to be good things (per convenience, of course... as useful in political speak). Then you use such words as "hypocrisy" to describe those who disagree with it.

Are you aware of where you stand with your own claims?

Damn!
The aquifir and the water situation!!!! Duh.... Didn't you read my previous post...

Yes, I'm quite aware of where I stand... I stand for common sense. We should all be concerned about our environment... but at the same time last year a man lost his life over lizards during a construction job. Where was the common sense from the environmentalists at that time?

You just seem like you are angry and looking to fight with some one and point fingers, and I've got better things to do with my time...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,907,156 times
Quote:
The aquifir and the water situation!!!! Duh.... Didn't you read my previous post...
So, it was a good thing that it didn't happen, not just because Nebraskans had the rights.

Quote:
Yes, I'm quite aware of where I stand... I stand for common sense. We should all be concerned about our environment... but at the same time last year a man lost his life over lizards during a construction job. Where was the common sense from the environmentalists at that time?

You just seem like you are angry and looking to fight with some one and point fingers, and I've got better things to do with my time...
Common sense is not so common. And fight? No, questioning someone's claim in a discussion forum is not exactly my idea of a fight. It is more about putting those ridiculous argument to appropriate place.

So, why do you think unless Keystone XL project involves getting to the port, that it is not a good idea? Is there something about port, or availability of north American oil regardless?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
So, it was a good thing that it didn't happen, not just because Nebraskans had the rights.

Common sense is not so common. And fight? No, questioning someone's claim in a discussion forum is not exactly my idea of a fight. It is more about putting those ridiculous argument to appropriate place.

So, why do you think unless Keystone XL project involves getting to the port, that it is not a good idea? Is there something about port, or availability of north American oil regardless?

Before I answer any more questions, perhaps you should...

Why do you think it shouldn't go to Texas? Do you have proof of your theories?
What's your dog in this fight?
Do you live in Nebraska? Work in the oil/gas industry and know something the rest of us don't? Arm-chair environmentalist? Psychic? Or gasp.. elected official?

Just once I'd like to hear from some one with first-hand knowledge instead of ideas and links. If you can't write it in the first-person its hearsay and speculation... prove me wrong with life experience..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies