Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What option do you like better?
Building a 1600 mile oil pipeline that goes across the US 15 40.54%
Building a refinery in North Dakota 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But I'm for jobs, and the nd solution sounds like it would create more long term jobs.

It would create more long-term jobs... it also would create more short term jobs, because the only way to get the crude in and OUT would be to lay more pipelines... but doesn't that put us right back to where we are now... arguing about a pipeline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It would create more long-term jobs... it also would create more short term jobs, because the only way to get the crude in and OUT would be to lay more pipelines... but doesn't that put us right back to where we are now... arguing about a pipeline?
Wasn't the nd portion of the pipeline already accepted?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I have a serious question for everybody that is going insane about the Keystone pipeline not being built.

What's the reason for building it?
If it is to get the oil to the refineries, wouldn't it be easier to just build a refinery in North Dakota?
Then we could use Warren Buffett's trains to move that oil to the coast, for export.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
There are bigger issues than jobs related to this pipeline. The oil was to come from Canada, thru the US down to Texas and sold to China. Canada, nor any other country should be given imminent domain in our country. There are plenty of oil/energy related jobs up here in N.D. We can't support the workers here now, and those jobs are not long term, just building phase. Also, you don't think Canada wouldn't have imported Canadian workers??? Read the issues, educate yourself.
Top US refineries-US Energy Information Administration.....http://www.eia.gov/neic/rankings/refineries.htm

Last edited by JanND; 01-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Wasn't the nd portion of the pipeline already accepted?
Yes... everything was a go except for the re-route of Nebraska. But now the whole project has been shut down.

This is what gets to me most... people think that oh hey.. just build another refinery. I grew up in a refinery town. My father worked for Texaco refining for 30+ years. You think that the pipeline does damage? You ain't seen nothing yet. The pipeline is the safest, cleanest, least damaging of all our options to get crude, gas, oil, diesel, etc from point A to point B. And all our "greenie" friends keep talking about harming the environment. Yet, they are still driving their cars, heating their homes, and biting the hands that feed them.

Even those of us in the industry would love to have other forms of green energy. But... until that happens (and we have the infrastructure to deal with it!) they have no choice but to deal with pipelines. I'd love to see us head to a more natural gas type situation, but would they be willing to let us lay the lines to do that... Nope... they'd find some reason to complain and protest.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Apparently the OP doesn't know that the only refinery built in the USA in the past 35 years is indeed already in operation in North Dakota. IIRC, it is located on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation and operated by the Tesoro Corp. .
I think I read that that particular refinery isn't capable of refining the particular type of crude we are talking about without major retrofitting? Isn't this correct?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes... everything was a go except for the re-route of Nebraska. But now the whole project has been shut down. This is what gets to me most... people think that oh hey.. just build another refinery. I grew up in a refinery town. My father worked for Texaco refining for 30+ years. You think that the pipeline does damage? You ain't seen nothing yet. The pipeline is the safest, cleanest, least damaging of all our options to get crude, gas, oil, diesel, etc from point A to point B. And all our "greenie" friends keep talking about harming the environment. Yet, they are still driving their cars, heating their homes, and biting the hands that feed them.

Even those of us in the industry would love to have other forms of green energy. But... until that happens (and we have the infrastructure to deal with it!) they have no choice but to deal with pipelines. I'd love to see us head to a more natural gas type situation, but would they be willing to let us lay the lines to do that... Nope... they'd find some reason to complain and protest.
So, why did Nebraskans demand re-routing? Heck, Titanic was also meant to be the safest... I think those with concerns have a point. But it doesn't take much to do so when the comparison is made to those who stick with denial.

The fact that a new oil refinery isn't being supported proves that the crocodile tears are really meant to provide an access to sell oil to other countries. The idea of helping the US demand is a sham, a cover up.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I have a serious question for everybody that is going insane about the Keystone pipeline not being built.

What's the reason for building it?
If it is to get the oil to the refineries, wouldn't it be easier to just build a refinery in North Dakota?
The whole point of the pipeline is for big oil to run the most cost efficient way to get their product from Canada to the gulf, to be sold on the world market to skyrocket their profit margins.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, why did Nebraskans demand re-routing? Heck, Titanic was also meant to be the safest... I think those with concerns have a point. But it doesn't take much to do so when the comparison is made to those who stick with denial.

The fact that a new oil refinery isn't being supported proves that the crocodile tears are really meant to provide an access to sell oil to other countries. The idea of helping the US demand is a sham, a cover up.
Nebraska had every right to ask for a re-route! Even those of us in the industry think that. I've never once said otherwise, so no one is in denial. This is a political pandering time issue, but we've already discussed this too much here.

You believe it to be a sham as far as demand... I don't. Any production here does nothing but help us in the long run unless you believe that buying from the middle east or Brazil or China is good for us?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
aus10 A possible answer to your question. This is a page from the link that I posted in #14 above index_combined_1
We have a diesel refinery going in Trenton, near Williston this spring/summer. And a gas refinery just opened in Watford City area, see thread North Dakota's newest natural gas plant aims to curb flaring problem....Bismarck Tribune article

Last edited by JanND; 01-25-2012 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies