U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,916,390 times
Reputation: 12178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
He proposed tax incentives for tech companies, increasing taxes on companies that outsource, having minimum corporate tax rates, tax incentives for companies that encourage US hiring, and more tax breaks for "certain" energy manufacturing. By the way, in case you didn't understand, that's further complicating the tax code. Once again, trying to pick winners and losers through the tax code. Interesting that Obama's buddies seem to be the "winners" with most of his changes. Immelt could tell you that.
I disagreed with different standards he proposed, but didn't see a call for complication of tax structure. That is something you made up. In the end, it isn't up to the President to create laws. He did his job (again) telling the congress what he would like to see. It is congress' responsibility to do its job and create a bill on tax reform.

Now, you may favor the simplest possible ever tax code, but that ain't smart either. Considering the implications, short term and especially in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,666 posts, read 9,052,459 times
Reputation: 5948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I disagreed with different standards he proposed, but didn't see a call for complication of tax structure. That is something you made up. In the end, it isn't up to the President to create laws. He did his job (again) telling the congress what he would like to see. It is congress' responsibility to do its job and create a bill on tax reform.

Now, you may favor the simplest possible ever tax code, but that ain't smart either. Considering the implications, short term and especially in the long term.
When you start adding special categories for taxes, that creates a more complicated tax code. I would love to see tax reform but I would favor one that is flatter, simple, and eliminates these types of loopholes that Obama talked about creating last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,354 posts, read 14,065,996 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Obama has consistently said that he wants the top earners to be treated no differently to any other tax payer. We can all see that companies like GE paying zero tax or Buffet paying less tax than his lower earning secretary
oh please

his secretary pay NOTHING in federal income taxes while buffet pays millions

most middleclass and those that are poor pay NOTHING in federal income tax and sometimes even in payroll tax

I earn 60k with a real job (not investments) I get back EVERYPENNY federally to include the payroll tax....most peoplemaking less than 60k will pay NOTHING...yet liberalds want to DISCRIMINATE agains ONE GROUP.-- the supposed rich making over 300k

tax EVERYONE EQUALLY....the SAME RATE for ALL

even better yet why tax income, since a good portion of income is NEVER REPORTED to begin with....tax spending instead

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,470,942 times
Reputation: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
When you start adding special categories for taxes, that creates a more complicated tax code. I would love to see tax reform but I would favor one that is flatter, simple, and eliminates these types of loopholes that Obama talked about creating last night.
I agree. I think a flat tax on labor for everyone and a graduated tax on investments (non-labor income) could work. As soon as you let taxes be used as an incentive for behavior, it complicates it.

Taxes should be set at a certain rate and then left alone. Something about their inevitability makes that the right course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,666 posts, read 9,052,459 times
Reputation: 5948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I agree. I think a flat tax on labor for everyone and a graduated tax on investments (non-labor income) could work. As soon as you let taxes be used as an incentive for behavior, it complicates it.

Taxes should be set at a certain rate and then left alone. Something about their inevitability makes that the right course of action.
I actually agree with that. I do not think our tax code should either penalize or incentivize business decisions; the market should do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,843,252 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Okay, one question. How many jobs will be created by raising taxes on the wealthy and how?
By raising taxes on the wealthy will bring in much needed revenue. This amount on its own will not solve the current recovery from the recession but NOT paying full tax by the wealthy will definately not help at all and will rely on drastic cuts to medicare/aid. armed forces etc etc etc.
Drastic cuts to jobs in the public sector will also be needed thus loss of jobs. Education will suffer with the shutting down of schools and job losses. Many many sectors will see massive unemployment as by NOT recieving the much needed revenue from the top 1% and relying only on revenue from lower earners....... huge drastic cuts are the only way that books can be in any way balanced.
Anyone who has a family and tries to balance their budget knows that if times are tough we cut back on what we spend but we do have to spend to keep ourselves healthy and a roof over our head. This cannot be achieved, no matter how drastic the cutbacks if revenue is NOT coming into the home. We will lose our jobs as we probably couldn't even afford gas or a car to continue working.
Increasing the tax on the wealthy will mean more revenue and less cutbacks thus less loss of jobs.
Obama is giving incentives to companies who invest in America by creating much needed jobs. relocating back to the USA and increasing productivity.
To give a signal to the top earners that they will be rewarded with big tax breaks and incentives on what they earn is NO incentive for them to increase productivity or even invest in new factories or job growth. People like Romney onlypaying around 14% on his investments or paying zero tax in govt bonds AND being payed interest on their bonds makes it unecessary for him and people like him to use their vast wealth to start companies as they get more money sitting on their butts.
There is no need for a work ethic by the wealthy as they are in a win win situation.... no matter what you do ... you can screw the system and pay little or no tax.
The only true way to increase jobs in the USA today is to give the big companies a incentive to increase productivity and jobs by making sure they pay the same tax percentage as everyone else and thus encouraging them to boost their profits to earn more..... just like the lower paid in the Country has to do..... to earn more we work harder. To earn more if you are a top earner....... you can keep more by paying lower taxes and recieve multi million bonuses, even if you bankrupt your company and lose many jobs.
Increasing tax on the wealthy makes sure that they put the same % of skin in the game as lower paid Americans and makes them bigger producers and job creators by incentive to earn more .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,666 posts, read 9,052,459 times
Reputation: 5948
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
By raising taxes on the wealthy will bring in much needed revenue. This amount on its own will not solve the current recovery from the recession but NOT paying full tax by the wealthy will definately not help at all and will rely on drastic cuts to medicare/aid. armed forces etc etc etc.
Drastic cuts to jobs in the public sector will also be needed thus loss of jobs. Education will suffer with the shutting down of schools and job losses. Many many sectors will see massive unemployment as by NOT recieving the much needed revenue from the top 1% and relying only on revenue from lower earners....... huge drastic cuts are the only way that books can be in any way balanced.
Anyone who has a family and tries to balance their budget knows that if times are tough we cut back on what we spend but we do have to spend to keep ourselves healthy and a roof over our head. This cannot be achieved, no matter how drastic the cutbacks if revenue is NOT coming into the home. We will lose our jobs as we probably couldn't even afford gas or a car to continue working.
Increasing the tax on the wealthy will mean more revenue and less cutbacks thus less loss of jobs.
Obama is giving incentives to companies who invest in America by creating much needed jobs. relocating back to the USA and increasing productivity.
To give a signal to the top earners that they will be rewarded with big tax breaks and incentives on what they earn is NO incentive for them to increase productivity or even invest in new factories or job growth. People like Romney onlypaying around 14% on his investments or paying zero tax in govt bonds AND being payed interest on their bonds makes it unecessary for him and people like him to use their vast wealth to start companies as they get more money sitting on their butts.
There is no need for a work ethic by the wealthy as they are in a win win situation.... no matter what you do ... you can screw the system and pay little or no tax.
The only true way to increase jobs in the USA today is to give the big companies a incentive to increase productivity and jobs by making sure they pay the same tax percentage as everyone else and thus encouraging them to boost their profits to earn more..... just like the lower paid in the Country has to do..... to earn more we work harder. To earn more if you are a top earner, you can keep more by lower taxes and recieve multi million bonuses, even if you bankrupt your company and lose many jobs.
Increasing tax on the wealthy makes sure that they put the same % of skin in the game as lower paid Americans and makes them bigger producers and job creators .
But history disagrees with you. When taxes have been lowered, revenues have increased. In particular with capital gains taxes. Those 1% that you want to raise taxes on, the Buffetts of the world, they're paying capital gains taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,243,326 times
Reputation: 12767
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But history disagrees with you. When taxes have been lowered, revenues have increased. In particular with capital gains taxes. Those 1% that you want to raise taxes on, the Buffetts of the world, they're paying capital gains taxes.
Some don't even pay that but live off of the stipends (rather large albeit) from their charitable trusts. People who understand little are quickly caught up in the class warfare cry. This is how the Progressives keep the country divided so that they can loot what remains of her wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
 
17,751 posts, read 15,660,469 times
Reputation: 6391
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

his secretary pay NOTHING in federal income taxes while buffet pays millions

most middleclass and those that are poor pay NOTHING in federal income tax and sometimes even in payroll tax

I earn 60k with a real job (not investments) I get back EVERYPENNY federally to include the payroll tax....most peoplemaking less than 60k will pay NOTHING...yet liberalds want to DISCRIMINATE agains ONE GROUP.-- the supposed rich making over 300k

tax EVERYONE EQUALLY....the SAME RATE for ALL

even better yet why tax income, since a good portion of income is NEVER REPORTED to begin with....tax spending instead

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Why tax goods and services at all? There is enough nappy time created wealth to fund everything and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,526 posts, read 7,220,092 times
Reputation: 2845
Wow, I can usually get behind a good Obama rant but this is misplaced anger here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top