U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM

674 posts, read 1,019,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
This isn't tax rates, this is withholding rates.

The irregular income withholding rates have not changed for a good while.

Tax rates have dropped, not withholding rates.

Is this simplified and slow enough for you?
Actually let's speed it up a little:

Can you explain to me where in the constitution it says the Federal Government has the right to withhold money from me for an entire year at 0% interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Then why doesn't he force a tax bill through with this executive powers? He did that for the NDAA....why can't he do it for taxes?

If anything, the NDAA hurts me, so how is the GOP preventing him from pushing through an NDAA bill that lets the government imprison me indefinitely without due process solely based on suspicions?

No, NDAA was passed through the Congress by an overwhelming majority.

Look, I despise everything for which Obama's ideology stands but I don't just make garbage up like you have in this thread.

14,298 posts, read 8,124,784 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet are paying like 15% in taxes, yet being a hard-working sales rep in a competitive cut-throat industry I finally have a big sales month where I was "paid" $15,000 in commissions. Yet, when I get my paycheck on Friday it says $8200. Thanks Obama for letting me keep 53% of my hard earned income.

Because I'm commissioned, companies in my industry only pay us like $35,000 for a base salary/draw and I rely on commission as a big part of my income. After a year of hard work and making very little commission (new to the company, tough economy) this is the first real big paycheck I've been able to make in the first full year.....and Obama took half of it.

United States of America = Fail
A lot of things in our tax code make no sense to me. All Obama has done, like everyone else, is just pass the buck along, and then add to the tax code to make it more complicated and more broken each year.

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,373 posts, read 14,078,390 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet are paying like 15% in taxes, yet being a hard-working sales rep in a competitive cut-throat industry I finally have a big sales month where I was "paid" $15,000 in commissions. Yet, when I get my paycheck on Friday it says $8200. Thanks Obama for letting me keep 53% of my hard earned income.

Because I'm commissioned, companies in my industry only pay us like $35,000 for a base salary/draw and I rely on commission as a big part of my income. After a year of hard work and making very little commission (new to the company, tough economy) this is the first real big paycheck I've been able to make in the first full year.....and Obama took half of it.

at the end of the year you will get nearly all of it back anyhow

so you will END UP paying nearly 0% in taxes

are you REALLY complaining????

3,046 posts, read 2,743,709 times
Quote:

Really? What degree did you do to get that job? I'm guessing none.

Why should this tax be a surprise to you. You get taxes based upon your income on that particular check. In the case where you just have one good month, you'll get some of that back in your tax return. To boot, the US has one of the lowest income tax rates in the first world. That's particularly true for a home owner.

Incidentally, how much income do you think you'd have without a secure nation, safe streets, running water, paved roads, utilities, etc.

Also, 53% taxes? The highest marginal rate in the United States is 35% and most of your income would be taxed at 28%. Your overall tax rate after deductions would probably be more like 20%. At any rate, you do have social security taken out of there which is of benefit to you. None of that adds up to 53%.

I'm guessing that you're lying about this and not including things like health insurance, 510k and state income tax into your little 53%.

In terms of the cutthroat comment, every business is cutthroat. What you do isn't special.

Quote:
The great thing about the internet is you can pull up many clips of Obama saying he will tax the rich higher than the middle and lower class. Obviously he can be blamed for lying.
Sorry homie, but you're not the rich. He noted that he wanted to raise income taxes on people earning over $250k. That's not you. Don't be too upset though, sales people typically get paid well for people who are typically uneducated and have few real skills.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 AM

674 posts, read 1,019,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Look, I despise everything for which Obama's ideology stands but I don't just make garbage up like you have in this thread.
So he CAN pass bills through congress or he CAN'T?

Someone just said it's not up to Obama because he can't pass bills through Congress yet you just said congress approved the NDAA that Obama passed through.

Which is it?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Last time I heard, successful people pay less in taxes. Work harder, and you should have little time to complain. Ask Romney... he claimed to identify self with 70-80% of Americans and paid less than 14% in income tax. You must be in the remaining 20-30%.
You realize of course most of his income these days is from investments. The monies he earned to invest has already been taxed once. The top 1% of earners already pay some 35% of all taxes collected. The top 5% pay nearly 60% of all our taxes paid.

All of this so the democratic party can use taxpayer monies to "buy" the votes of some 51% of all amerians, who pay no taxes btw. Pathetic.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,770,726 times
Quote:
Actually let's speed it up a little:

Can you explain to me where in the constitution it says the Federal Government has the right to withhold money from me for an entire year at 0% interest?
No, if you are complaining about how high your tax rate is when what you are screaming about is your withholding rate...it just shows you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. You have been called out on it a few times, so it seems you want to skip that.

Withholding irregular income has been litigated and defended in courts many times, as well as providing refunds for higher estimated tax payments. Demanding a constitutional literalists/origionalist view of taxes is only used by tax protesters and loons.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

12,172 posts, read 7,054,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

So file an updated W9 with payroll and claim 9 or 99 or 999 exemptions. Just save that money - you have to pay it all at year-end. And watch out for underpayment penalties.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM

10,666 posts, read 9,058,324 times
Aren't commissions considered supplemental income by the IRS and withheld at a standard 25%? OP could ask his company to calculate with aggregate method but they likely wouldn't since it's easier to do the flat 25%.

Oh and for the OP, withheld taxes are different than your actual tax rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies