Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet are paying like 15% in taxes, yet being a hard-working sales rep in a competitive cut-throat industry I finally have a big sales month where I was "paid" $15,000 in commissions. Yet, when I get my paycheck on Friday it says $8200. Thanks Obama for letting me keep 53% of my hard earned income.

Because I'm commissioned, companies in my industry only pay us like $35,000 for a base salary/draw and I rely on commission as a big part of my income. After a year of hard work and making very little commission (new to the company, tough economy) this is the first real big paycheck I've been able to make in the first full year.....and Obama took half of it.

United States of America = Fail
Since federal income taxes are not withheld from paychecks you are having what withheld exactly in the way of dependents, FICA, and your health/retirement plans?

Quote:
It's not the government's money to take. I don't care if they pay it back an entire YEAR later. That's a year of interest free loan the government is taking from me. I need that money now to live. What right does the government have to take my income regardless of whether it's a salary or commission. If anything, I worker harder to earn the commission than the salary.
Did you not research the consequences of your pay structure prior to acception a commission based job where you are still categorized as an employee of the company?

This is why many people choose to be independent contractors. However, if you do not have the financial discipline to save back your own taxes and pay quarterly estimates, it is probably not a good option in your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet are paying like 15% in taxes, yet being a hard-working sales rep in a competitive cut-throat industry I finally have a big sales month where I was "paid" $15,000 in commissions. Yet, when I get my paycheck on Friday it says $8200. Thanks Obama for letting me keep 53% of my hard earned income.

Because I'm commissioned, companies in my industry only pay us like $35,000 for a base salary/draw and I rely on commission as a big part of my income. After a year of hard work and making very little commission (new to the company, tough economy) this is the first real big paycheck I've been able to make in the first full year.....and Obama took half of it.

Last time I heard, successful people pay less in taxes. Work harder, and you should have little time to complain. Ask Romney... he claimed to identify self with 70-80% of Americans and paid less than 14% in income tax. You must be in the remaining 20-30%.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Commissions are taxed at the HIGHEST RATE. You will get a refund when you file at the end of the year and your actual rate is determined. This is to ensure you pay enough throughout the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since federal income taxes are not withheld from paychecks you are having what withheld exactly in the way of dependents, FICA, and your health/retirement plans?
No dependents, I'm single, not married, no kids, and I don't contribute to a retirement plan.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:

You'd better start blaming Congress for that. Obama may tell Congress what he wants, but it's up to Congress to make the rules. And, much of the tax codes we're suffering through didn't come during the Obama administration. Some of the codes go back to Clinton. I'd suggest you blame it on Congress. After all, most of them are in the top 1%, and they're passing laws that allow them to keep their own income. The rest of the 1%, not in Congress, are cashing in on it.

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Seriously, who should you be mad at? Obama is trying to look out for middle-class chumps like you. The GOP trys to obstruct him at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Last time I heard, successful people pay less in taxes. Work harder, and you should have little time to complain. Ask Romney... he claimed to identify self with 70-80% of Americans and paid less than 14% in income tax. You must be in the remaining 20-30%.
But when Obama ran for president he said the rich would pay more in taxes than the middle class....

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
But when Obama ran for president he said the rich would pay more in taxes than the middle class....
They do. I do. They always have.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Seriously, who should you be mad at? Obama is trying to look out for middle-class chumps like you. The GOP trys to obstruct him at every turn.
Then why doesn't he force a tax bill through with this executive powers? He did that for the NDAA....why can't he do it for taxes?

If anything, the NDAA hurts me, so how is the GOP preventing him from pushing through an NDAA bill that lets the government imprison me indefinitely without due process solely based on suspicions?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
The great thing about the internet is you can pull up many clips of Obama saying he will tax the rich higher than the middle and lower class. Obviously he can be blamed for lying.
This isn't tax rates, this is withholding rates. They are different words with different definitions, learn them please.

The irregular income withholding rates have not changed for a good while.

Tax rates have dropped, not withholding rates.

Is this simplified and slow enough for you?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
You'd better start blaming Congress for that. Obama may tell Congress what he wants, but it's up to Congress to make the rules. And, much of the tax codes we're suffering through didn't come during the Obama administration. Some of the codes go back to Clinton. I'd suggest you blame it on Congress. After all, most of them are in the top 1%, and they're passing laws that allow them to keep their own income. The rest of the 1%, not in Congress, are cashing in on it.
Again, see the NDAA bill and Obamacare. He didn't need congress for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies