Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do we have any actual proof from Cain's accusers or only the accusations of women? Gingrich has a track record a small portion of which is easily verified through his divorce/re-marriage history.

IMO, one cannot make moral judgements based on accusations sans proof.
Accusations only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,503,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Chappquiddick.

He didn't drop like a rock like Cain did.....

Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Accusations only.
If accusations only, then why so many of his GOP and Tea Party supporters anxious to throw him under the bus, when they haven't done the same to Newt?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,395,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I'm just real curious, why one was rushed out of the race, when his stuff came to the surface and while GinGRICH's stuff is at least resurfacing, he's still has a shot?
I think they both stink, but Gingrich is way off his rocker.
I have my own theories (anyone who understands "forbidden fruit", would know what I'm talking about).....
but let's here from the GOPers....
lets see
newt just cheated
cain is accused of sexual HARRASMENT

nobody really cares about cheating....but to 'possibly' (I say that since there is no FORMAL accusation, only media hype) sexual harrass or molest, this is a much bigger issue....that was cains downfall

Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,313,681 times
Quote:
I'm just real curious, why one was rushed out of the race, when his stuff came to the surface and while GinGRICH's stuff is at least resurfacing, he's still has a shot?
I think they both stink, but Gingrich is way off his rocker.
I have my own theories (anyone who understands "forbidden fruit", would know what I'm talking about).....
but let's here from the GOPers....
I'm a liberal and hardly one to defend Newt but there is a major difference between the two. Newt has made it clear he doesn't want to talk about what a hypocritical, lying scumbag he has been in the past, but he will. Cain simply pretended that he was living in a parallel universe and that he could just wish away his problems. Another key distinction here is that the allegations were that Cain made *unwanted* advances. HOwever sleazy Newt may be, there's no evidence that his advanced were anything other than consensual.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,765,683 times
We don't really KNOW what Cain did. We've known all along about Gingrich's infidelities. So one difference is that the accusations against Cain were emerging stories about a candidate which people knew little about, and Gingrich's infidelities are pretty much old news and he's a candidate that we know a lot about because he's been in politics for decades.

My problem with Cain when the accusations came out was that he blamed the women, his campaign handled the entire thing like rookies in politics.

Gingrich's handling of these "revelations" is epitomized by his attacks on the media for even broaching the topic.

Frankly, I wish the media would broach Gingrich's well-established disposition to hypocrisy. Because that's his weakness. Infidelity is evidence of a character flaw, but is so widespread in our country that it's a character flaw that people can excuse. Hypocrisy has the potential to be more damaging politically.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM

4,874 posts, read 4,991,468 times
I think the media is the difference. Cains' story was fodder for the networks for several weeks, with different women stepping up and making accusations. Newts' is old and well documented, the networks have not jumped in, with the exception of the recent interview, like they did with Cain. Take it up with the networks as to why they did this.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
He didn't drop like a rock like Cain did.....
That's a major difference between liberal and conservative constituencies. Massechussets' liberals just kept right on sending good ol' teddy right back to the senate decade after decade after decade.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM

I don't like to say this about Clinton, but there were rumors about unwanted sexual advances with him and getting some on the side in spite of being married....in 1992 and 1996....however, people were willing to over look that though...
I cannot totally discount, that racism had something to do with why people abandoned Cain, and not Gingrich....both popular (at 1 point anyway) with the Tea Party.....the Tea Party showed what is in a lot of it...by quitting on Cain as early as they did once his allegations came out...

Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I think the media is the difference. Cains' story was fodder for the networks for several weeks, with different women stepping up and making accusations. Newts' is old and well documented, the networks have not jumped in, with the exception of the recent interview, like they did with Cain. Take it up with the networks as to why they did this.
The "mainstream" press is a factor. However, I also believe there are major differences between american liberals and conservatives that are at play here. When their politicians cheat on their spouses conservatives tend to send them packing. American liberals on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies