U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,710,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm a liberal and hardly one to defend Newt but there is a major difference between the two. Newt has made it clear he doesn't want to talk about what a hypocritical, lying scumbag he has been in the past, but he will. Cain simply pretended that he was living in a parallel universe and that he could just wish away his problems. Another key distinction here is that the allegations were that Cain made *unwanted* advances. HOwever sleazy Newt may be, there's no evidence that his advanced were anything other than consensual.

In all fairness tho, he's managed to cheat on two of his three wives. I can't say that I care for him. Many conservatives may have to vote for that peckerwood come november if only to avoid a second obama term but I'll guarantee they won't like it. Me, I'm thinking of a protest vote as I'm thinking mr obama will win anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM

51,670 posts, read 41,621,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I'm just real curious, why one was rushed out of the race, when his stuff came to the surface and while GinGRICH's stuff is at least resurfacing, he's still has a shot?
I think they both stink, but Gingrich is way off his rocker.
I have my own theories (anyone who understands "forbidden fruit", would know what I'm talking about).....
but let's hear from the GOPers....
Cain mainly got into trouble because of how he handled these NEW accusations. (Hint: Bill Clinton didn't get into trouble for his actions....it was how he handled the accusations)

Also, Gingrich's stuff, while dispicable, is old news.

Also consider that Gingrich is a Looooooooong time powerful rep figure with lots and lots of political ties which of course makes a campaign run a lot more powerful. (See Hillary Clinton whom had a dem machine juggernaut behind her before Obama burst onto the scene)

Frankly, I find it rather dispicable that you are using this to try to cry racism. Oh yeah....Cain had all these racist supporters who then left him because of white women. Gee, um....wouldn't these *racists* have just been Perry supporters or whatever from the beginning?

Seriously, trying to smear people as racists because you don't like their politics? How about all the people that supported Obama and now don't approve of him? I guess they are all racists too?

Pathetic race bating.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In all fairness tho, he's managed to cheat on two of his three wives. I can't say that I care for him. Many conservatives may have to vote for that peckerwood come november if only to avoid a second obama term but I'll guarantee they won't like it. Me, I'm thinking of a protest vote as I'm thinking mr obama will win anyway.
Yep. Obama would utterly crush Newt whom is despised by swing voters.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,111,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think there's a big difference ... between what the two men, lacking what are generally accepted as high moral standards, did or how they behaved. Cain is a sexual predator. Newt is unfaithful. Yes, Cain has been unfaithful, too. But the sexual predator part is what makes his behavior criminal, not just immoral or a violation of several of the Ten Commandments.
So you have proof Cain is a sexual predator? Has he been convicted and placed on a sex offender registry?

This thread seems to be a long on assumptions based upon heresay and short on facts.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,111,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We don't really KNOW what Cain did. We've known all along about Gingrich's infidelities. So one difference is that the accusations against Cain were emerging stories about a candidate which people knew little about, and Gingrich's infidelities are pretty much old news and he's a candidate that we know a lot about because he's been in politics for decades.

My problem with Cain when the accusations came out was that he blamed the women, his campaign handled the entire thing like rookies in politics.

Gingrich's handling of these "revelations" is epitomized by his attacks on the media for even broaching the topic.

Frankly, I wish the media would broach Gingrich's well-established disposition to hypocrisy. Because that's his weakness. Infidelity is evidence of a character flaw, but is so widespread in our country that it's a character flaw that people can excuse. Hypocrisy has the potential to be more damaging politically.
Thank you.

Newt Gingrich: Serial Hypocrisy - YouTube

No one should dismiss Gingrich's endorsement of Alvin & Heidi Toffler's writings in which they call for the US Constitution to "die". He did this while he was Speaker.

Quote:
But the Tofflers also believe that our Constitutional system needs to be changed. In fact, they say it must "die and be replaced." They thank Thomas Jefferson for a system of government that has served us so well all these years, “and that now must, in its turn, die and be replaced.” (p. 91) Replaced with what? That’s going to be the exciting project of a future generation. I hate to think what our dumbed-down, semi-literate future Americans will come up with.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/opinion/sam-blumenfeld/10488-newt-gingrich-and-the-tofflers (broken link)

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-25-2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM

4,968 posts, read 7,301,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Cain mainly got into trouble because of how he handled these NEW accusations. (Hint: Bill Clinton didn't get into trouble for his actions....it was how he handled the accusations)

Also, Gingrich's stuff, while dispicable, is old news.

Also consider that Gingrich is a Looooooooong time powerful rep figure with lots and lots of political ties which of course makes a campaign run a lot more powerful. (See Hillary Clinton whom had a dem machine juggernaut behind her before Obama burst onto the scene)

Frankly, I find it rather dispicable that you are using this to try to cry racism. Oh yeah....Cain had all these racist supporters who then left him because of white women. Gee, um....wouldn't these *racists* have just been Perry supporters or whatever from the beginning?

Seriously, trying to smear people as racists because you don't like their politics? How about all the people that supported Obama and now don't approve of him? I guess they are all racists too?

Pathetic race bating.
You're hiding under a rock, if you don't know (or refuse to acknowledge) how a lot, but not all, fringe conservatives feel about that, black men with white women...ok.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
If accusations only, then why so many of his GOP and Tea Party supporters anxious to throw him under the bus, when they haven't done the same to Newt?
Politics.

Just like how Anthony Weiner got ousted while everyone rallied around Clinton. Heck, Weiner got treated A LOT rougher than many other reps or dems. You know why? Because it was assumed his seat would remain (D) and so no one gave a crap about booting him.

Had they known his seat would go (R) they would have utterly supported him.

However, no one is calling dem voters racists or anti-semetic etc. because for political reasons they didn't react the same to various allegations.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM

10,032 posts, read 7,108,901 times
Quote:
I'm just real curious, why one was rushed out of the race, when his stuff came to the surface and while GinGRICH's stuff is at least resurfacing, he's still has a shot?
I think they both stink, but Gingrich is way off his rocker.
I have my own theories (anyone who understands "forbidden fruit", would know what I'm talking about).....
but let's hear from the GOPers....

Um, because Cain decided to drop out of the race and Gingrich didn't......

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You're hiding under a rock, if you don't know (or refuse to acknowledge) how a lot, but not all, fringe conservatives feel about that, black men with white women...ok.
Most fringe conservatives are ONLY out to beat Obama (and no my friend not because he's black ) and will latch on to any conservative candidate that they feel can do it.

Cain handled the allegations horribly and wasn't a strong contender in the first place so kerplunk...they dropped him just like Perry, Bachman and others lost support along the way.

Newt is the last conservative hope so they cling to him despite his past actions....in desperation.

Rauxcism. It's everywhere you conveniently want to find it.

P.S. I guess a lot of black women are fringe conservatives.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,765,411 times
Easy. One was black, the other was white. The black guy took the fall, the white guy is made of teflon.

Though to be fair, Cain is a newbie, and Gingrich practically founded the Party of No as it exists today in the mid-90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies