Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That is so untrue. It was Macy's not JC Penny's. The official sign of the Apocalypse is a Starbucks built next door to another Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
"managed currency collapse"?!

Uh huh.

In other words, the nation's inter-bank lender is lending money to stimulate bank to private sector lending and overall consumer activity. What a concept!

And who's leading this hostile takeover?

Roll your eyes all you want. Your ignorance is of no concern to me.

Daniel Hannan on the sovereign debt crisis and Coup d'Etat of Greece/Italy 16-11-11 - YouTube

Nigel Farage on sovereign debt crisis and banker Coup d'Etat of Greece and Italy 16-11-2011 - YouTube

Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
When JP Penny starts selling milk, eggs, coffee and gasoline get back to us... until then the consumer staples continue to go up up up in price by the day. Have you tried to purchase fresh fruit lately? What about sugar or flour? Have the prices gone up or down?

Yeah, I'm guessing not.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
When JP Penny starts selling milk, eggs, coffee and gasoline get back to us... until then the consumer staples continue to go up up up in price by the day. Have you tried to purchase fresh fruit lately? What about sugar or flour? Have the prices gone up or down?

Yeah, I'm guessing not.
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut food, energy, tuition, healthcare, commodities: Those are just TINY factors in the whole inflation picture. Plus, in today's world laptops and HDTVs are just as vital to human survival as food.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post

Yeah, I'm guessing not.
Let's not forget that everything is GMO and supposed to be cheaper. Not only are we less healthy (by proxy), but we are paying more for the privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut food, energy, tuition, healthcare, commodities: Those are just TINY factors in the whole inflation picture. Plus, in today's world laptops and HDTVs are just as vital to human survival as food.
Who said anything has to make sense. We live in a world where the 48% call themselves 99%. Where the middle 50% are actually in the middle like an oreo cookie, shoved between the have and the have nots. Where instant gratification is everything, even if someone else provides it. Where the suffering share their delusions on ipods and ipads, from tents with generators and heaters, who have 6 figure bank accounts while railing against the banks... Jeez, what a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
JC Penny just slashed prices by 40 percent. Not exactly a sign of the Weimar Republic.

Please explain why we haven't had the widely-predicted hyperinflation disaster scenario -- three years after Obama's stimulus went into effect and after a lot of QE by the Fed?

Also, it's not just JC Penny, but nearly all major retailers slashed prices this holiday season. All fast food enterprises are still advertising buy one, get one free or other package deals. This is indicative of deflationary pressure, not inflationary pressure. How is this happening? I thought Obama was going to make everyone pay $30 for a carton of milk?
Once banks start lending again, you will see hyperinflation.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
JC Penny just slashed prices by 40 percent. Not exactly a sign of the Weimar Republic.

Please explain why we haven't had the widely-predicted hyperinflation disaster scenario -- three years after Obama's stimulus went into effect and after a lot of QE by the Fed?

Also, it's not just JC Penny, but nearly all major retailers slashed prices this holiday season. All fast food enterprises are still advertising buy one, get one free or other package deals. This is indicative of deflationary pressure, not inflationary pressure. How is this happening? I thought Obama was going to make everyone pay $30 for a carton of milk?
Please be thankful that it has not hit, yet. I think you're just questioning and not scoffing, and hope so. Thank goodness it has not hit yet and as a currency dies, as was explained to me it can go either way, deflation or inflation and another Phd type said it can be deflation followed by inflation, as a single currency becomes worthless.

Yes, Obama said that his own plan "would necessarily" cause our energy costs to skyrocket. Hang on, as he's da man and bad things are coming. The powerbrokers can fake a lot of stuff for a season. I think "they" are going to give us as solid and pleasant of a year as they can so to sell us on BO again, and re-elect this Subversive, Communist NWO president.

As for inflation...if given time it will happen. Math is an absolute. Can't cheat it forever. Printing any currency as if it were gameboard bucks HAS to devalue it, and HE knows it.

Obama: My Plan Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket - YouTube

Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Once banks start lending again, you will see hyperinflation.
Banks are lending now -- have been for at least a good two years now. They're still busy clearing out the bad debt, but that doesn't mean that they're not lending.

So, looks like 'pull-it-out-of-my-@ss theory on economics #45,123' in the rubbish bin.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Please be thankful that it has not hit, yet. I think you're just questioning and not scoffing, and hope so. Thank goodness it has not hit yet and as a currency dies, as was explained to me it can go either way, deflation or inflation and another Phd type said it can be deflation followed by inflation, as a single currency becomes worthless.

Yes, Obama said that his own plan "would necessarily" cause our energy costs to skyrocket. Hang on, as he's da man and bad things are coming. The powerbrokers can fake a lot of stuff for a season. I think "they" are going to give us as solid and pleasant of a year as they can so to sell us on BO again, and re-elect this Subversive, Communist NWO president.

As for inflation...if given time it will happen. Math is an absolute. Can't cheat it forever. Printing any currency as if it were gameboard bucks HAS to devalue it, and HE knows it.

Obama: My Plan Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket - YouTube
My point is, I don't think most conservatives really understand how inflation works. I don't think most conservatives how macroeconomics works. I think they understand how their own bank account, investments, and small business works and try to pass those off as fitting analogies for how the national and global economy works. But as I've pointed out before, assuming that just because someone knows how to run a small business he is therefore also qualified to make sophisticated analysis of the economy is like me saying I know how to run a Fortune 500 company just because my credit rating is over 750.

Yes, you definitely *can* have inflation and hyperinflation if you over-circulate worthless currency or if the government over-stimulates the economy. That can occur for a very simple reason that occurs under very easy-to-understand circumstances. If the government over-stimulates the economy by making money easily accessible to everyone, governments and their economies end up with a very immediate consequence of having too many people with money that they haven't earned and having too much purchasing power -- over and beyond what suppliers and manufacturers can handle. The result is, a retailer or service provider will end up having a hard time keeping supplies in stock because they keep flying off the shelves due to an excess of demand. This typically happens when governments over-stimulate an economy when consumer finances are strong. That's why Greenspan kept raising interest rates during the height of the economic bull run of the 1990s and even hinted at it at times during the early part of the 2000s.

And that's also why interest rates have remained at historic lows since the economic collapse -- because demand has since evaporated. There is no consumer demand right now. Retailers, producers, manufacturers...they're all struggling to keep consumers coming in the store. And it's not because banks aren't lending -- they're lending. They've been lending. Not at the rates they once were but they're lending. The real problem is that consumers just don't have much disposable income. Private banks, in time, may seek to expand consumer debt, and I'm sure there will be political pressure to encourage that. But that's not what we're seeing right now. What we're seeing is that merchants are having to slash prices just to sell their existing stocks. That's deflation, not inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies