U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,601,797 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

JC Penny just slashed prices by 40 percent. Not exactly a sign of the Weimar Republic.

Please explain why we haven't had the widely-predicted hyperinflation disaster scenario -- three years after Obama's stimulus went into effect and after a lot of QE by the Fed?

Also, it's not just JC Penny, but nearly all major retailers slashed prices this holiday season. All fast food enterprises are still advertising buy one, get one free or other package deals. This is indicative of deflationary pressure, not inflationary pressure. How is this happening? I thought Obama was going to make everyone pay $30 for a carton of milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,017 posts, read 15,702,736 times
Reputation: 3745
Yup, food, energy, tuition, health care and base metal prices are quite stable. It's not like you need any of these to survive or make a better life for yourself, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM
 
1,967 posts, read 1,578,093 times
Reputation: 844
what?

Why do posters in PaoC take a radical comment made by one or two people, then proceed to bash an entire demographic?

If anyone looks uninformed, it's you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,142,433 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
JC Penny just slashed prices by 40 percent. Not exactly a sign of the Weimar Republic.

Please explain why we haven't had the widely-predicted hyperinflation disaster scenario -- three years after Obama's stimulus went into effect and after a lot of QE by the Fed?
1) Wars spreading the use of the dollar to other regions (see Africa)
2) Trouble in the eurozone has propped up the value of the US dollar and continues to make US Treasuries palatable.
3) War with Iran is not "official" yet and oil still flows near the $100/barrel mark

Federal pensions are already being raided to pay the bills per Obama's Treasury Sec. Timmy "tax cheat" Geithner. We continue to rack up billions more in debt in attempts to service the interest payments on our debt alone.

Give it time impatient one; that for which you wish will come. It is not a matter of if but when.

Take a look at metal and oil commodities today:
http://www.kitco.com/kitco-gold-inde...m_campaign=KGX

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-25-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: link added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,601,797 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Give it time impatient one; that for which you wish will come. It is not a matter of if but when.
Yeah, well, the problem is, you all keep saying that. And people like me keep saying you're wrong, and you know what? I'm right, and you're not.

These prophecies are beginning to rank right up there with the Y2K predictions of accidental missile launches and cars that just suddenly stop working. At some point, predictions, you know, actually have to become reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,379 posts, read 7,943,313 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
1) Wars spreading the use of the dollar to other regions (see Africa)
2) Trouble in the eurozone has propped up the value of the US dollar and continues to make US Treasuries palatable.
3) War with Iran is not "official" yet and oil still flows near the $100/barrel mark

Federal pensions are already being raided to pay the bills per Obama's Treasury Sec. Timmy "tax cheat" Geithner. We continue to rack up billions in debt alone in attempts to service the interest payments on our debt.

Give it time impatient one; that for which you wish will come. It is not a matter of if but when.
Exactly right! A bulb burns brightest just before it blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, well, the problem is, you all keep saying that. And people like me keep saying you're wrong, and you know what? I'm right, and you're not.

These prophecies are beginning to rank right up there with the Y2K predictions of accidental missile launches and cars that just suddenly stop working. At some point, predictions, you know, actually have to become reality.

We have a market that is artificially high, food and commodities have all crept up 100-150%, gold is up 300% in 5 years, silver is up 600% in five years.

Incomes have gone down for the first time in 20 years, the value of the dollar is worth 30-40% of what it was in 1990.

In 2010, the relative value of $100 from 1990 ranges from $154.00 to $250.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $167.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $100 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1990 to 2010.


This is hidden inflation. As long as people think their purchasing power hasn't changed then everything is just fine. Keep playing your fiddle grasshopper, while some of us ants prepare. If nothing happens, great! You'll be right which is important to you. If something blows, we'll be ready and you'll be... well, hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,601,797 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
This is hidden inflation.
I don't deny that "inflation" occurs; I question the attributed 'causes' of inflation.

Inflation is real, but not because of a government printing press. You're paying more for commodities because the demand for resources is outpacing the known supply. We're paying more for energy, which means we're paying more for everything else.

Incomes are going down but that has nothing to do with a government printing press. That has to do with the demand for American labor, which is in decline. The American worker is doing more with less, and it is in fact the very deflationary pressure that I have mentioned that is going to continue to keep wages low. Deflation requires more human resources to sell more goods, and it means less profit. And less profit means less money to pay higher wages. That also puts American labor at an even greater competitive disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,142,433 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't deny that "inflation" occurs; I question the attributed 'causes' of inflation.

Inflation is real, but not because of a government printing press. You're paying more for commodities because the demand for resources is outpacing the known supply. We're paying more for energy, which means we're paying more for everything else.

Incomes are going down but that has nothing to do with a government printing press. That has to do with the demand for American labor, which is in decline. The American worker is doing more with less, and it is in fact the very deflationary pressure that I have mentioned that is going to continue to keep wages low. Deflation requires more human resources to sell more goods, and it means less profit. And less profit means less money to pay higher wages. That also puts American labor at an even greater competitive disadvantage.
You are missing the larger picture. The eurozone and the US Dollar are undergoing managed currency collapse. I say managed because Quantitative Easing by the ECB and The FED is being used to try to keep just enough liquidity to keep people from rioting in the streets. It is a very quiet economic coup of Western Governments.

The global central banks create the economic bubbles and then profit from the collapse of those sectors. The same is true with managed currency collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 10,747,688 times
Reputation: 4108
That is so untrue. It was Macy's not JC Penny's. The official sign of the Apocalypse is a Starbucks built next door to another Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,601,797 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are missing the larger picture. The eurozone and the US Dollar are undergoing managed currency collapse.
"managed currency collapse"?!

Uh huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I say managed because Quantitative Easing by the ECB and The FED is being used to try to keep just enough liquidity to keep people from rioting in the streets.
In other words, the nation's inter-bank lender is lending money to stimulate bank to private sector lending and overall consumer activity. What a concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is a very quiet economic coup of Western Governments.
And who's leading this hostile takeover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The global central banks create the economic bubbles and then profit from the collapse of those sectors. The same is true with managed currency collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top