Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Should prostitution be legalized? Why or why not?

This is a subject I haven't seen discussed here. A common pro-abortion argument is that the government shouldn't tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her body. Does this argument apply to prostitution? In regard to prostitution, at least a baby is not killed. Would prostitution be considered less evil because of this fact?

Why do you think babies are not killed, why do you think prostitutes do not get pregnant? I have heard prostitutes on TV and they tell of being in the "job" for years and how they have had many abortions plus being left with sexual problems that leave them disabled. Physical problems that are chronic.

This is also a reason PP is being investigated. There are tapes of a so called pimp setting up a deal with a PP clinic that will do abortions on the young girls he brings to them, no questions asked. Young as 12 and 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
First of all, what does Rick Santorum have to say about it? There will always be need for it, and nobody wants it in their neighborhood. It seems to me that in New York it was never legal but seldom prosecuted. Some establishments passed out handbills in Times Square. I believe the subject was debated somewhere on the forum.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's only legal in rural areas of Nevada, and only in government-sanctioned brothels. It's illegal to work independently as a sex worker anywhere in Nevada.

Prostitution in Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that all prostitution should be legal, as long as it's done in private, and between consenting adults. Street prostitution should remain illegal, unless it's done in an area that is designated for that type of activity. (The U.S. has no such areas.)
There goes my retirement plan...Wal Mart greeter school,here I come

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To be fair, most marriages involve some sort of (often unspoken) exchange - in many cases being "you get sex regularly if I get free reign on your credit card." And that can work in either/any direction, in terms of the genders.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Prostitution should be legalized because it would put a huge dent in the illegal street walker culture of prostitution right now.

Legally approved brothels in Nevada have been doing it for years and the amount of violence associated with them are near zero. Street walking prostitution has a very high amount of violence associated with it, and the prostitutes are usually "owned" by some thug drug dealing pimp driving an Escalade and selling drugs. I would much rather see women have the right to offer the same thing they offer now without being subjected to the streets and pimps. Its going to happen anyway, so reducing the negative outcomes would be a better strategy.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
First of all, what does Rick Santorum have to say about it? There will always be need for it, and nobody wants it in their neighborhood. It seems to me that in New York it was never legal but seldom prosecuted. Some establishments passed out handbills in Times Square. I believe the subject was debated somewhere on the forum.
Traditionalist Catholics have generally approved of legalized or decriminalized prostitution because it keeps "good, chaste" women pure and provides a sexual outlet to men whose desires cannot be contained within marriage. The thought being that if prostitution is illegal, adultery will spread. A society that does not condone "bad" women will soon have very few "good" women. (Alexis de Tocqueville, in DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA, did not decry the prevalence of prostitutes in the large eastern cities of his time because he said that prostitution is not a danger to the family the way that female adultery is.)

I can see their point even though I am not a traditionalist Catholic and do not know if Santorum shares the same view on this as other traditionalist Catholics.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Prostitution should be legalized because it would put a huge dent in the illegal street walker culture of prostitution right now.

Legally approved brothels in Nevada have been doing it for years and the amount of violence associated with them are near zero. Street walking prostitution has a very high amount of violence associated with it, and the prostitutes are usually "owned" by some thug drug dealing pimp driving an Escalade and selling drugs.
And who often doubles as a coyote, bringing them over the border and has forced them into prostitution to pay off their debt for being brought into the US.

[QUOTE I would much rather see women have the right to offer the same thing they offer now without being subjected to the streets and pimps. Its going to happen anyway, so reducing the negative outcomes would be a better strategy.[/quote]

Exactly. It's much safer and means that US citizens and legal residents, who are of legal age, will be prostitutes, and the abuse of minors and illegal aliens will be curtailed. There will always be a demand for prostitution so why not make it legal and establish safe working conditions? A positive externality of legalizing prostitution will be a reduction in illegal immigration.

It would also mean that many women who are on welfare or unemployment right now could start earning money, paying taxes, and help the general economy.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
It should be legal and provided free of charge under Obamacare - happy people are healthy people!!!

Last edited by Ultor; 02-19-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
One big reason prostitution should be legalized is to help out the guys who sex lives are handicapped, because they lack the sex appeal and personal charm to get sex from women for free. And probably a number of good looking guys just don't want to, or have the time to go through the ritual of dating a new woman.

It would be real cool if an old motel could be remodeled into a big house of whores temptingly posed in the windows of the rooms while the guys browse from window to window trying to make up their minds which ones they wanted. Maybe there would be wings for gay and female customers as well.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's only legal in rural areas of Nevada, and only in government-sanctioned brothels. It's illegal to work independently as a sex worker anywhere in Nevada.

Prostitution in Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that all prostitution should be legal, as long as it's done in private, and between consenting adults. Street prostitution should remain illegal, unless it's done in an area that is designated for that type of activity. (The U.S. has no such areas.)
This is not entirely accurate. The outskirts of Reno and Carson City don't really qualify as rural. Their proximity to population centers including our state capital discounts the rural area only assessment.

Prostitution in NV is regulated and generates few problems health related or other. There are no actual designated areas in which prostitution is legal however municipalities are free to impose restrictions governing areas in which brothels are allowed. They are also free to restrict or deny prostitution if such denial represents the preferences of their residents. These restrictions are in keeping with the overall Libertarian leanings that heavily influenced the structure of our state government. Unsurprisingly, the areas of the state that lean heavily toward the left in their voting are the most restrictive with regard to personal liberties.

Historically these restrictions have confined brothels to limited areas which still allows them freedom to operate while minimizing their impact on the rest of the town. These minimal restrictions have had little to no impact on the profitability of brothels.

Morality aside, I'm in favor of legalized and regulated prostitution. Whether or not I personally agree with it the government has no business attempting to legislate morality.

As an aside, how many times does the legalized prostitution argument have to be made on this board? I've not been here all that long and can't claim to have read every thread regarding legalized prostitution but having said that this has to be at least the 5th thread I've noticed regarding the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies