Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times

Advertisements

Oh, to answer the question, my quick answer is "no" and because it's exploitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Oh, to answer the question, my quick answer is "no" and because it's exploitive.
Why is it exploiting someone, when they are a grown adult able to make up their own mind?

I wouldn't want to spend hours a day toiling away at a hard physical job, but that isn't "exploiting" my body? I would be choosing to do it, right?

The issue revolves around sex, and do you view it as something sacred or not, in general at least.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Many things are exploitive. Valentine's day is exploitive. How many overpriced teddy bears, chocolates, and flowers do the women of America need. How much money wasted? Do you want that banned too?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,461 times
Quote:
It's only exploitive of those that choose to engage in it. Legislate as you may you can't save people from themselves. If a person chooses to rent out their body for financial gain it's their choice. They will do it whether or not their actions are legal.

Legalizing prostitution removes predatory pimps from the equation and inserts at least some degree of medical oversight into the equation.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
So grumpy old rich guys are heroes and your best friend when they support the right cause, but Public Enemy Number 1 otherwise. Love it.
Tell me how many conservatives love George Soros?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
The fast food industry is a lot more exploitative considering the pay and working conditions there being worse than the sex industry, should we ban that too?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Traditionalist Catholics have generally approved of legalized or decriminalized prostitution because it keeps "good, chaste" women pure and provides a sexual outlet to men whose desires cannot be contained within marriage. The thought being that if prostitution is illegal, adultery will spread. A society that does not condone "bad" women will soon have very few "good" women. (Alexis de Tocqueville, in DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA, did not decry the prevalence of prostitutes in the large eastern cities of his time because he said that prostitution is not a danger to the family the way that female adultery is.)

I can see their point even though I am not a traditionalist Catholic and do not know if Santorum shares the same view on this as other traditionalist Catholics.
Where did you get that from---not from any Catholic I know. Traditionalist Catholics would be against any sexual sins. Only when one is married is sex not a sin. Sex with ones spouse is the only sex that is not a sin. Go to www.catholic.com and Catholic answers if you doubt me.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,128 times
Quote:
So is Church, religion and Christianity..

Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The fast food industry is a lot more exploitative considering the pay and working conditions there being worse than the sex industry, should we ban that too?
Yes. I'm ready to crack down on illegals anytime you are.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
So is Church, religion and Christianity..
Don't go to church. Religion is optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies