Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

This is a lengthy, yet excellent article about China that points out how it's not just cost they're beating us on in manufacturing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...lass.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I'll read it in a little while when I have more time and comment, but I want to go ahead and mention that I think it's ironic that liberals b*tch and moan about Walmart for having manufacturing done in China, but not about Apple (a "liberal" company). It's so funny. Any libs care to explain the difference?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is a lengthy, yet excellent article about China that points out how it's not just cost they're beating us on in manufacturing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...lass.html?_r=1
Thanks for posting. I had read the article earlier this morning. I was pleased to see that each worker was given a whole biscuit as well as a cup of tea before beginning their 12-hour shift.

I say: post a 400 percent tariff on iphones and such other toys coming in from China. It is sickening that American corporations so willingly make use of virtually forced labor forces in other countries.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Well yeah, the government paid all the infrastructure costs of building the small city where workers live in dormitories 8-10 to a room working 35 hours continuously making $0.31 an hour with no benefits I can see how they would make money off that. Plus unionization is punishable by a 12 year prison sentence, which doesn't seem much different. I wonder how many years a day off is punishable by.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/319756/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-mon-jan-16-2012#s-p1-so-i0 (broken link)

Where did I hear about this before...oh yeah, company towns in the gilded age. I guess their officers aren't called Pinkertons.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
The US has those pesky regulations that prevent people from working 16 Hour Days at 70 Cents An Hour.

Apple

Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Thanks for posting. I had read the article earlier this morning. I was pleased to see that each worker was given a whole biscuit as well as a cup of tea before beginning their 12-hour shift.

I say: post a 400 percent tariff on iphones and such other toys coming in from China. It is sickening that American corporations so willingly make use of virtually forced labor forces in other countries.
You know, that's the same old beaten argument that has never made any economical sense. You legislate a 400% tariff on this product and the Chinese will retaliate by posting tariffs on US exports. Thus, it becomes increasingly expensive to purchase US products, demand declines while a competitor not subject to those tariffs (i.e., a non-US company) gets a leg up. Voila, all you have accomplished is an increase in US unemployment. In addition, Apple will simply shift it's manufacturing to the next inexpensive option that is not subject to such tariffs. You still don't get those jobs to come back to the US unless you manage to reduce costs to a level that is competitive with those foreign nations. It's called capitalism and most people seem to like it just fine - as long as they are on the benefitting end. In terms of direct product costs, they are.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The US has those pesky regulations that prevent people from working 16 Hour Days at 70 Cents An Hour.

Apple
Americans also have a pesky habit of not realizing that if an illiterate 10 year old Chinese boy can do the same thing you do, equally as well, that perhaps what you can do isn't worth 30 bucks an hour and a pension plan, because there's not much skill involved...

I don't fault companies like Apple for going to China for this. These jobs, in the US, are worth minimum wage. That's it. They don't require enough skill to be worth anything more than that. And if Americans would be OK with that, I'm sure the jobs would come back here. But everybody knows if Apple started producing them here, people would be demanding 20 bucks an hour to start, and in the blink of an eye would go and unionize and demand even more, at which point Apple would be stuck thanks to collective bargaining laws and would end up expending untold amounts on that as well as up in the courts. The US brings this on themselves.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Americans also have a pesky habit of not realizing that if an illiterate 10 year old Chinese boy can do the same thing you do, equally as well, that perhaps what you can do isn't worth 30 bucks an hour and a pension plan, because there's not much skill involved...

I don't fault companies like Apple for going to China for this. These jobs, in the US, are worth minimum wage. That's it. They don't require enough skill to be worth anything more than that. And if Americans would be OK with that, I'm sure the jobs would come back here. But everybody knows if Apple started producing them here, people would be demanding 20 bucks an hour to start, and in the blink of an eye would go and unionize and demand even more, at which point Apple would be stuck thanks to collective bargaining laws and would end up expending untold amounts on that as well as up in the courts. The US brings this on themselves.
Welcome to the global economy. The US has long pursued this "ideal" and only started to realize way too late that there was a cost associated with it.

Alas, a free economy cannot possibly compete with what basically amounts to slave labor.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Welcome to the global economy. The US has long pursued this "ideal" and only started to realize way too late that there was a cost associated with it.

Alas, a free economy cannot possibly compete with what basically amounts to slave labor.
There was a false premise that third world countries would rise to be equal to that of the US.

It was April Fools on us as we see our standard being lowered.
The recent spate of jobs coming back are coming back at lower salaries and less benefits.

The joke of globalization is on us.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post

Again, if an uneducated CHILD can perform your job with equal skill, then the free market is not what the workers are competing with, it's their marginal-at-best skillset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies