Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
In many countries, a person without much education or skill or intelligence will not be able to afford to buy luxury items. Things are very different in the US, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. For example, I noticed a few people that I know that probably have high school degrees (if that) and less than 6 months in a training program that led to a job. They are not highly trained and are probably less than average when it comes to intelligence and drive. I found it surprising that they are able to buy the newest I phones and I pads, nice cars, along with other things that I think of as luxuries.
I know a guy that may or may not have a high school diploma. I've never asked and I don't care. You can't talk politics or anything cultural with him. But he has a manual labor skill that is highly sought after. He is the top in his field in the city he lives in. He makes a great living, has a wonderful family and is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

I know another guy that could be a brother of the guy above. He went to a private college, graduated with honors and is a genius at programming on corporate computers. He makes a great living as well.

I told you those two stories to 1. There's more to a person than education. 2. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
I know Cracked is a comedy site, but this piece is actually pretty interesting behind the smart-assery:

The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor | Cracked.com

The basic gist is that, if you're used to being poor, your bank account is roughly zero all the time. Money comes in and is immediately sucked out. That's the routine, that's how it works. So if, in your mind, a positive bank balance has the longevity of fresh milk, you will tend to spend any windfall ASAP.

Incidentally, if something is readily available for the average person, it is per definition not a luxury.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-26-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
In many countries, a person without much education or skill or intelligence will not be able to afford to buy luxury items. Things are very different in the US, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. For example, I noticed a few people that I know that probably have high school degrees (if that) and less than 6 months in a training program that led to a job. They are not highly trained and are probably less than average when it comes to intelligence and drive. I found it surprising that they are able to buy the newest I phones and I pads, nice cars, along with other things that I think of as luxuries. I think everyone should have access to food/shelter/healthcare/jobs with decent wages, but I'm not sure if "luxuries" really should be affordable to everyone. Like an I pad should be more expensive than it is. Had these same people grown up in other countries (that do not have world dominance which leads to cheap oil, etc), they would be spending most of their money on the necessities of life. I wouldn't mind if people on a global level had this similar level of affordability, but that is not the case. And yes, I understand the economy is really bad and many people do not have jobs right now and are really struggling. That's a separate issue.
I doubt there's a universal standard for what a luxury is. To some people it's a bottle of beer. To others, a hot dog. To some a roof over their head. What's your point?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I know Cracked is a comedy site, but this piece is actually pretty interesting behind the smart-assery:

The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor | Cracked.com
Thanks for that link! That was funny. Everything he wrote is true (I know from experience!).

Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
Quote:
In many countries, a person without much education or skill or intelligence will not be able to afford to buy luxury items. Things are very different in the US, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. For example, I noticed a few people that I know that probably have high school degrees (if that) and less than 6 months in a training program that led to a job. They are not highly trained and are probably less than average when it comes to intelligence and drive. I found it surprising that they are able to buy the newest I phones and I pads, nice cars, along with other things that I think of as luxuries. I think everyone should have access to food/shelter/healthcare/jobs with decent wages, but I'm not sure if "luxuries" really should be affordable to everyone. Like an I pad should be more expensive than it is. Had these same people grown up in other countries (that do not have world dominance which leads to cheap oil, etc), they would be spending most of their money on the necessities of life. I wouldn't mind if people on a global level had this similar level of affordability, but that is not the case. And yes, I understand the economy is really bad and many people do not have jobs right now and are really struggling. That's a separate issue.
So, you are advocating Jim Crow laws based on "education level".

Let's put "College Degree Holders Served Only" signs at Apple stores and car dealerships and fine restaurants!

I mean - those dummies couldn't appreciate those things like you could, right!

Discrimination is such fun!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,786 times
OP maybe mad about college debt, ows style.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:

You are correct. I've been all over the world including several countries where really poor people live. The poor in the US would be rich in many countries.

It is amazing that so many people can afford smart phones and big TVs but cannot afford to save for their own retirement.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM

800 posts, read 508,266 times
The OP's message is rather arrogant in my opinion and formal education does not = intelligence.

I wouldn't count having a cell phone as a luxury item even if its a more fancy one like the iphone, nor computers or a nice tv. Things like TV and Ipads and video games are pretty cheap entertainment anyway compared to things like travel and sailing and theatre (that richer people do) so its a staple in the freetime of a lot of poor people, it makes some sense to get a decent tv if they'll be watching it a lot. A lot of these people as mentioned too may appear to have the same things as higher income people however they're in debt or have no savings, probably a sign of materialism and keeping up with the Joneses, but hey it's their money and their choice.

Yeah maybe its a bummer that the poorer classes in other countries can't have these things but hey America worked and fought for the lifestyle that we have just like you worked and sacrificed for the good education and job that (I'm assuming) you have. If the populace of a country is upset with their standard of living then they should work to change their system or have a revolution.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times
Hmm...didn't mean for this to become an anti-education thread. Maybe to phrase this differently...that people in our country with a lower level of skill are able to live much more luxurious life than people who are highly skilled in other countries. For example, you can find people who are teachers/accountants/electricians/plumbers (i.e. people with skills) in other countries but cannot afford to live alone at a young age, have a car, own a lap top, have diamonds, etc.

The debt arguments that some people have made, are a good point. I would hope that the people I know haven't put themselves into financial hardship to have these items, but people often do just that.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Yeah maybe its a bummer that the poorer classes in other countries can't have these things but hey America worked and fought for the lifestyle that we have just like you worked and sacrificed for the good education and job that (I'm assuming) you have. If the populace of a country is upset with their standard of living then they should work to change their system or have a revolution.
I don't think the solution of people in other countries working to change their systems is workable. We have things cheap because we fought for it, like you said. Fought being the key word. I guess when you can ensure that you have cheap oil and can ensure that other precious commodities come cheap, everyone in our own country will have a higher standard of living. But for us to have things so cheap, we need to maintain this power gradient (by military force) and also have our companies use people in sweat shops in other countries. This is a pretty weird and vicious cycle. We want cheap stuff so we ship our jobs overseas and our own citizens lose the means to even have the necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies