U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 73.44%
No 30 23.44%
Not sure 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,334 posts, read 14,055,432 times

Advertisements

forcing skim milk on kids, especially when whole milk is better for then is fascism

whole milks is better

skim has more sugars, and is missing the NECESSARY fats to break down those sugars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,438,598 times
A friend of mine has a sister with three kids on welfare. She has cable TV and she buys pot and beer too.

She calls and asks him for money because the kids don't have anything to eat.

When he shows up with a bag of groceries instead on money, she gets pissed.

Try telling him it is a myth or an urban legend.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A friend of mine has a sister with three kids on welfare. She has cable TV and she buys pot and beer too.

She calls and asks him for money because the kids don't have anything to eat.

When he shows up with a bag of groceries instead on money, she gets pissed.

Try telling him it is a myth or an urban legend.
I live in a rural state, near a small town, within commuting distance of a major city. I don't know any parents--and believe me, I know every single family in our town--who buy pot or beer or cable tv at the expense of feeding their kids. Most of the people I know who are poor are scrambling to make it. I'm sorry that your friend has such an awful sister. My suggestion is to get social services involved--it doesn't sound like she should have her kids with her to begin with, or at the very least she needs a major parenting intervention. I'm not sure what your example has to do with the majority of working poor people in this country. There's a big gap between the issues of being a really lousy parent and an overall horrible human being, and simply being poor. You're trying to compare apples to oranges. If she had a fairly comfortable income, I doubt that she would be any more responsible with her children.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
^^^What she said. Plus, PP, do you know for sure that this guy's sister has cable and buys pot, or is this just his side of the story?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^What she said. Plus, PP, do you know for sure that this guy's sister has cable and buys pot, or is this just his side of the story?
Yes, I have known him for years and years and I have met her too. He is always taking her food or paying the electric bill for her, buying clothes for the kids, as he learned quickly not to give her money.

In a few years the kids will all be 18, in the meantime he looks out for them. Two boys and a girl. They love to spend time at his house too, a lot of the time they spend the night. He is a good influence. They see what the other side of life can be like if you work for it.

He would have reported her a long time ago, but the kids would be split up into foster homes. He would have tried to get custody, but since he is gay he knew he wouldn't have had a chance in hell.

BTW, his partner/SO has been with him through all of it. They would have been great parents for those kids.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I understand your feelings, but since the government IS involved, the brats should eat what is placed in front of them.

As someone already stated, if they don't eat it, they're not very hungry, are they?
So, you don't mind your tax dollars literally going into the trash? If you serve them something they won't eat, it ends up in the garbage and you're willing to pay for that?

IF we're going to fund school lunches and breakfast's, doesn't it make sense to spend our money wisely and provide foods they'll actually eat? If not, why bother?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
There is no reason you have to pay $3 for a cafeteria lunch.....that is a luxury.

Pack their lunch and use thermos bottles if you want them to have a warm lunch.....it is a lot cheaper. BTW, your schools are heated, aren't they?

Parents are just too lazy to be bothered packing lunches these days, IMO.

http://blog.chron.com/momhouston/2011/08/university-of-texas-study-finds-kidsí-home-packed-lunches-kept-at-unhealthy-temperatures/ (broken link)

Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 AM

5,645 posts, read 4,131,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I think it should be up to the school to serve what is cost-effective, and have nutritious options. Parents are hopefully educating their kids about what is nutritious and what isn't. And if they don't like the school's choices, they can make their kids a bag lunch and not provide lunch money. Although I have heard that some schools are disallowing parents to make lunches with certain food items in them.

On the other hand, there are people with free/reduced lunches and if my tax dollars are going to fund that, I want them eating healthfully. They probably aren't eating so great at home, so they can at least eat healthy at school.

On the third hand even if the lunch includes healthy food, the kids might just throw it away and eat just the meat or mac n cheese or whatever they're serving that day. In which case it's a total waste of money for the taxpayer and the parent.

*shrug*

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM

30,702 posts, read 33,490,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
forcing skim milk on kids, especially when whole milk is better for then is fascism

whole milks is better

skim has more sugars, and is missing the NECESSARY fats to break down those sugars
Don't be stupid, it's not facism, nobody is forcing..blablabla...
If they had always served low fat milk you'd be yelling about it being facism if they wanted to change it to whole.

Low fat/skim milk is fine. It's just one thing they drink during the day, I'd rather they drink water anyway.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When I was in school, I ususally took bologna or chip chopped ham sandwiches to school, some potato chips or fritos and a piece of fruit, {apple, orange, banana, pear}. Grade school in a lunch box, after that a paper bag......no ice packs at all. Got a small carton of milk out of a vending machine at school.

I guess I am lucky to be alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies