U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 73.44%
No 30 23.44%
Not sure 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,995,699 times
Reputation: 3408

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Try a side of olive oil/Vinegar with garlic and/or oregano. I'd add salt and pepper too. Yummy
The problem with a lot of your "greener veggies" is they
do need a little kick. Corn on the other hand, has a
natural sweetness anyone can tolerate plain.
You could also try broccoli raw with a low fat or yogurt based ranch dip (if that doesn't put too much fat into the formula). When my kids were little it was the only way I could get them to eat broccoli--now they love it no matter how it's served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,995,699 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Thanks for the nice compliment! For staying within the health mandates, like the fat/protein ratio and using whole wheat in our dinner rolls, sandwich rolls, etc., our district gets reimbursed, so we can keep the lunch prices low. For example, a grilled cheese sandwich has the allotted amount of protein, but exceeds the fat allowance. We replaced some of the cheese with a slice of low fat ham. When serving chicken parmagiana and spaghetti, we no longer provide parmesan cheese for the spaghetti, since the parmagiana has cheese on it (it would exceed the fat allowance).

We've found, though, that steamed vegetables don't go over well (except maybe corn). One day on the serving line, we had steamed brocolli. We put it on the lunch trays for 7th and 8th grade lunch, and the cafeteria custodian noticed most of the brocolli in the trash when she emptied it. We then asked students as we served them if they wanted brocolli, and most said no.

Rather than pitching all that unused brocolli, it made awesome cream of brocolli soup!

Yesterday, we made a huge pot of homemade chili - it will be the "soup of the day" on the ala carte line. I really don't know why our cafeteria is better than some of the others I've seen described - maybe it's because they're stricter with larger suburban or city schools, and our district is small town/rural.
Just curious--who reimburses you for meeting those health mandates? Is it a state or federal thing? Is your area low income and they qualify for more that way? I wish our district could take advantage of that, but we are a more affluent (at least comfortably middle class) district. Maybe we can, but I just don't know how it works. Again--it sounds like you guys are doing a terrific job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You could also try broccoli raw with a low fat or yogurt based ranch dip (if that doesn't put too much fat into the formula). When my kids were little it was the only way I could get them to eat broccoli--now they love it no matter how it's served.
The problem though is that those kids that really need the healthier lunches don't get that kind of food at home.

I was really surprised that kids at school didn't know what broccoli was and never had it at home and just threw it out. This was an inner city schooll with a high level of free lunch kids.

They threw out the good food because it wasn't what they were used to.
Ate the chips and fruit, drank the milk and threw the rest out.

They also didn't get a choice for what items they wanted; the trays of food are just handed to them. Such a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
 
9,094 posts, read 5,614,850 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
Me thinks you have a very poor understanding of the historical actions of government alphabet agencies like the USDA, EPA, FDA.

Hint: they claim to do a lot, most of which turns out to be the opposite of what they claimed.

But yes ... it's actually authoritarianism, and that is no good for anyone other than the authorities. First they mandate school attendance ... seems reasonable ... then they control what is taught ... now they control the food too? That means they have control of the body, including what is fed the mind and the physical body.

They have done NOTHING to deserve that level of trust. In fact, they've done everything to warrant distrust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
 
9,094 posts, read 5,614,850 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Open your eyes people! Have you seen all the big fat kids in our schools? It's common sense to serve healthier food in schools. Obesity not only puts a huge financial strain on the country, but it's a national security risk. I guess it's time for the military to add a "Big and Tall" division. Oh ya, by the way, you parents with fat kids need to start parenting!
Or, just save even more money and effort and do what leftists love to do anyways ... abort the brats before the 3rd trimester ... since you care so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,995,699 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem though is that those kids that really need the healthier lunches don't get that kind of food at home.

I was really surprised that kids at school didn't know what broccoli was and never had it at home and just threw it out. This was an inner city schooll with a high level of free lunch kids.

They threw out the good food because it wasn't what they were used to.
Ate the chips and fruit, drank the milk and threw the rest out.

They also didn't get a choice for what items they wanted; the trays of food are just handed to them. Such a waste.
In situations like that, it almost sounds like they need to do something to get the kids used to fresh fruits and vegetables so they'll at least try them--maybe have them as class room snacks, outside of the meal so there are no other choices, as a way of modeling healthy eating, and showing them that it tastes good. If you can make it fun, little kids will try almost anything. I've never met a kid who didn't like vegetables with ranch dressing (or broccoli with cheese) once you got them to try it, but again, I don't know how that works with added fat. I've never worried about fat that much with my family, as long as we use healthy fats, because my kids burn off every calorie they take in and then some.

Someone said this earlier, but if they eat breakfast and lunch at school, that's 50% of their total diet. Nutritious food at school really does make an impact for every kid, but especially with low income kids who might not have great diets at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 6,852,436 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You could also try broccoli raw with a low fat or yogurt based ranch dip (if that doesn't put too much fat into the formula). When my kids were little it was the only way I could get them to eat broccoli--now they love it no matter how it's served.
Raw broccoli can be harder to digest and can
cause severe painful constipation in some. I can see the "legal police now"...

We are veggie/yogurt dippers too
That, and Mediterranean style.
Tastes better than candy

They really should have a course in school on how to
cook and season vegetables. That's 99 percent the
battle. I personally can't fathom one "hating
vegetables", except maybe Lima beans

If anyone's got a "good" recipe for Lima Beans -
I'm "still" waiting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Reputation: 33082
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Very good assessment. I forgot we could come and go
during lunch or study halls... Now the kids are locked
in like Fort Knox.
My high school had a closed campus back in the 60s. My kids' school had a "modified" open campus. These policies vary from school to school, even within my district.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic, sorry for the digression, just wanted to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
In situations like that, it almost sounds like they need to do something to get the kids used to fresh fruits and vegetables so they'll at least try them--maybe have them as class room snacks, outside of the meal so there are no other choices, as a way of modeling healthy eating, and showing them that it tastes good. If you can make it fun, little kids will try almost anything. I've never met a kid who didn't like vegetables with ranch dressing (or broccoli with cheese) once you got them to try it, but again, I don't know how that works with added fat. I've never worried about fat that much with my family, as long as we use healthy fats, because my kids burn off every calorie they take in and then some.

Someone said this earlier, but if they eat breakfast and lunch at school, that's 50% of their total diet. Nutritious food at school really does make an impact for every kid, but especially with low income kids who might not have great diets at home.
Doesn't work that way in inner city schools. I don't know about elementary level..I do work in the middle schools. Cafeteria food does not leave the cafeteria. Breakfast is cereal and a carton of milk for most or a breakfast taco . Budget constraints don't allow for what the more affluent schools pay for out of their own pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 6,852,436 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Me thinks you have a very poor understanding of the historical actions of government alphabet agencies like the USDA, EPA, FDA.

Hint: they claim to do a lot, most of which turns out to be the opposite of what they claimed.

But yes ... it's actually authoritarianism, and that is no good for anyone other than the authorities. First they mandate school attendance ... seems reasonable ... then they control what is taught ... now they control the food too? That means they have control of the body, including what is fed the mind and the physical body.

They have done NOTHING to deserve that level of trust. In fact, they've done everything to warrant distrust.
^^^ We do need to get rid of the Department of
Education at the Federal level. It is harmful to your
child's educational health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top