U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 73.44%
No 30 23.44%
Not sure 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,166,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get that chip off your shoulder.

"Ladies" is usually used to demean, as opposed to "women".

lady - definition of lady by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
The attributive use of lady, as in lady doctor, is offensive and outdated. When the sex of the person is relevant, the preferred modifier is woman or female. Twice as many members of the Usage Panel in our 1994 survey preferred female and male to woman and man as modifiers in the sentence President Clinton interviewed both ______ and ______ candidates for the position of Attorney General.

mb1457 is a woman, and nowhere does she indicate that her district does not participate in the federal school lunch program. Her district puts in some of its own money, as does mine.
Folks around here refer to them as the lunch ladies and not in a derogatory term either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,166,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Is there no more state, city, or county government, no school boards or school administrators???

Apparently, all we have standing between our children and death from unhealthy school lunch is the federal gub'ment. We'un out here in fly o'er country is too stoopid too no a apple with a wurm in'nit from a balonee, watercress sammich.
That's because Uncle Sam gives schools money for each lunch.
The more that get lunch, the more money Uncle Sam gives them.
Doesn't matter if they don't eat it. Doesn't matter if they throw it out. What matters is headcount because each head = $$$$.

It's all about the money. And he who holds the money gets to make the rules.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,265,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Folks around here refer to them as the lunch ladies and not in a derogatory term either.

SSShhh, Happy Texan... can't type that again apparently. If that's as bad as someone ever said to me... well, that thought has me chuckling.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,962,140 times
Quote:
Well I don't get to plan school lunches. But if I did there would be no chips. But there are chips and that's what they eat.
I'm just telling it like I see it happening in the schools.
Thats what the new regs do--get rid of the chips. Our district stopped buying the prepackaged food because it was so awful, but we have a district where we could afford to charge more to go fresh. Again--YOU were the one who brought up the biggest point--three major companies control the food served at schools across the country, and right now the options they offer schools stink. Now that the regs have changed, those companies will be forced to provide a better quality meal at a competitive price--one that meets the food guidelines. You also said it--the kitchen staff don't cook where you volunteer. They heat the food up and serve it, because it's too expensive for most schools to hire actual cooks who make homemade meals.

This is a win win for everyone. The quality of school lunches will improve because the vendors will be forced to improve the quality to meet federal guidelines, and the schools won't be out any more money because the prices charged by the vendors will have to remain competitive. They won't have to hire the extra kitchen staff to serve the kids more nutritious food.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-27-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Get your panties in a bunch much when someone doesn't necessarily agree with everything you say? What about the word ladies is derogatory?

Subsidized.. subsidized.. subsidized. When are people/schools/business' going to learn that sometimes self-sufficiency, making hard choices, and government at the local level makes more sense. mb1547 proves that point. He knows his district and it sounds like the parents are making the correct decisions. I hope he's correct that this is all about the food companies and forcing them to be better, but I'm skeptical. I figure it's just more about government regulation in our everyday life.
We get the same subsidy every other school gets--so much for each lunch--we just charge the parents more to make up the difference for better quality. That's how all schools work--the price the parents pay makes up the difference. Families in poor school districts can't pay as much as we do. We're a small rural town, but within easy commuting distance of a major city in our state. We don't have suburbs out here--you're in the city, and then you're suddenly in the middle of corn fields or pastures. We have a mix of working class and farming/ranching families combined with a huge group of professionals who buy large acreages so their kids can have horses and live in the country, plus go to a school with very small class sizes. Our property taxes are some of the highest in the state. The parents commute to the city for work. My husband is from here, so we're a weird mix of the two. He grew up on a ranch near this town, and graduated from our high school, but he also is a partner in a business in the city. I also work from home/commute in part time for my business. His brothers and sisters all either farm/ranch or own local businesses in the area. They've lived here for generations.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-27-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get that chip off your shoulder.

"Ladies" is usually used to demean, as opposed to "women".

lady - definition of lady by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
The attributive use of lady, as in lady doctor, is offensive and outdated. When the sex of the person is relevant, the preferred modifier is woman or female. Twice as many members of the Usage Panel in our 1994 survey preferred female and male to woman and man as modifiers in the sentence President Clinton interviewed both ______ and ______ candidates for the position of Attorney General.

mb1457 is a woman, and nowhere does she indicate that her district does not participate in the federal school lunch program. Her district puts in some of its own money, as does mine.
I said lunch lady too--I didn't mean any harm by it, but I don't think the head of our cafeteria (who has a degree in nutrition) would approve of that title...I stand corrected. I didn't mean it in a demeaning way.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM

86,816 posts, read 102,118,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I said lunch lady too--I didn't mean any harm by it, but I don't think the head of our cafeteria (who has a degree in nutrition) would approve of that title...I stand corrected. I didn't mean it in a demeaning way.
No problem, but you're right, it's not an appropriate title for someone with an MS (probably) in nutrition and an RD (Registered Dietician) license.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,423,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Just curious--who reimburses you for meeting those health mandates? Is it a state or federal thing? Is your area low income and they qualify for more that way? I wish our district could take advantage of that, but we are a more affluent (at least comfortably middle class) district. Maybe we can, but I just don't know how it works. Again--it sounds like you guys are doing a terrific job.
We get reimbursed some funds by the state for sticking to the dietary and fat ratio guidelines. The area really isn't predominantly low income, but there are some families that qualify for free school lunches. We try to incorporate foods the kids like and will eat, while observing the restrictions. We used to serve "foot long" hot dogs, which was a popular lunch, but we have now switched over to the regular sized "light" variety. We started serving a low fat "burrito" this year, and the kids really like them. With the 1 oz. of cheese sauce, it stays within the fat ratio. First time I ever tried a burrito myself, and I found it to be very tasty (though a bit of a pain to fill and wrap 600 of them).

Our large number of ala carte options do cost extra - these are not covered under the standard $1.35 lunch. They are relatively inexepensive, but the kids do have to pay separately for them. This option is only found at the jr./sr. high school.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,423,486 times
Quote:

Here, it's "cafeteria ladies". Not in a derogatory term here either! I get more affection and respect now than I ever did in 30 years of working in an office.

We prepared and served a banquet last night for one of our extracurriculars, and the round of applause we "cafeteria ladies" got was astounding!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We get reimbursed some funds by the state for sticking to the dietary and fat ratio guidelines. The area really isn't predominantly low income, but there are some families that qualify for free school lunches. We try to incorporate foods the kids like and will eat, while observing the restrictions. We used to serve "foot long" hot dogs, which was a popular lunch, but we have now switched over to the regular sized "light" variety. We started serving a low fat "burrito" this year, and the kids really like them. With the 1 oz. of cheese sauce, it stays within the fat ratio. First time I ever tried a burrito myself, and I found it to be very tasty (though a bit of a pain to fill and wrap 600 of them).

Our large number of ala carte options do cost extra - these are not covered under the standard $1.35 lunch. They are relatively inexepensive, but the kids do have to pay separately for them. This option is only found at the jr./sr. high school.
Thanks for the info--now it's making sense--neat that your state offers those reimbursements. I couldn't understand how you got your lunch prices so low with what you were offering, but it sounds like we're probably not that far off on price, but we're serving the equivalent of one of your lunches and a couple of ala carte items. Next year we're doing exactly what you've done--going ala carte and charging the kids accounts in the jr. high/high school, and serving a simple meal in elementary. Our food waste went down when we went to the fresher menu, and the school hopes we cut it even more this way so we can lower prices again. I'm really active in our sports boosters program and in charge of concessions during games and tournaments--we work closely with the kitchen (and use their space) so I'm really interested. We've been trying to offer healthier options there as well, (fruit slushies, fresh fruit, orange juice, baked potato bar for tournaments etc.) although we still sell candy, nachos etc. Some parents were skeptical about the baked potato bar at first, but it's been a huge hit. The athletes really like the fruit before games too.

Glad you get lots of love at school--you guys deserve it . The women in our cafeteria give hugs with lunch, and the kids adore them (so do the parents). Like I said--it's like having grandma or mom at school, and it's great to know that people who care are working to make sure our kids eat a healthy, delicious meal. Thanks for what you do.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-28-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies