U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 73.44%
No 30 23.44%
Not sure 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,995,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wish they did everything a la carte and let the kids just take what they would eat (healthy food of course). The waste I see is unbelievable with what I see today. Each kid gets their tray with the allocated foods. They get that 1/2 orange and just toss it if they don't like oranges. I've seen kids get trays and only drink the milk and toss everything else.

Such a waste.
That's exactly why we're moving to ala carte--to cut down on waste, plus to add a salad bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 AM

6,745 posts, read 8,296,243 times
Open your eyes people! Have you seen all the big fat kids in our schools? It's common sense to serve healthier food in schools. Obesity not only puts a huge financial strain on the country, but it's a national security risk. I guess it's time for the military to add a "Big and Tall" division. Oh ya, by the way, you parents with fat kids need to start parenting!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Open your eyes people! Have you seen all the big fat kids in our schools? It's common sense to serve healthier food in schools. Obesity not only puts a huge financial strain on the country, but it's a national security risk. I guess it's time for the military to add a "Big and Tall" division. Oh ya, by the way, you parents with fat kids need to start parenting!
You will not win the "war on obesity" with one meal a day at school.
It can only be fought successfully at home by the parents in instilling good eating habits in their kids.
And half the time when you see the parents you realize that apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I agree with you on this. It is being overdone. The Principal you mentioned is required by federal school lunch rules to do that. The rules also require that students who bring lunch from home be seated separately from students eating the cafeteria food and the school is subject to massive fines if that doesn't happen. The idea is to prevent "bad" food from ending up in the hands of students eating the government approved menu.

At least, that's how it was explained to me by our local school officials when a similar incident happened to one of my grandkids. I researched those rules myself and the school was right.
And no one finds this scary?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And no one finds this scary?
The greater majority of parents probably don't even KNOW a third of what goes on in schools.

They just sign those forms and send them back.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Can you say exactly where in that document (like a page number) that it states that kids have to be seated separately, etc.? I have 5 kids in public school, and I can promise you--that isn't how it's handled here. I don't have time to dig through the entire document, so giving the section would be helpful. Otherwise I think you've either completely misunderstood the requirements, or point blank made them up.
No, I can't quote you page and paragraph without going through the whole thing myself again too. Heck, I can't even guarantee this is exactly where I found it as the catalogue of rules and regulations is quite large.

I guess you'll either have to take my word for it, or do you own research.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,273,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Uh huh.

You know that malnutrition and being underweight were major problems for the US during World War Two.

Despite what people think, not every male in the US between the age of 16-45 was well-built and healthy. There were literally millions of people that were chronically underweight (Audie Murphy for example) or otherwise unfit.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,846,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
Family values is Palin serving a big pile of twinkies to diabetic kids. How dare you hurt the economy of twinkies!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Well now, don't forget that the government is now reclassifying foods..pizza is a vegetable remember ?
Now I'm starting to understand why the reclassifying of the foods.

And the article had no mention of HFCS. They are cutting down on salt.

The USDA also needs to look at the market. McD's went back to having fries as the default side in their Happy Meals because of customer demand. You can still get fruit instead but fruit is not the default anymore..it's back to fries.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 AM

29,757 posts, read 16,447,864 times
Quote:
USDA mandates healthier school lunches
Good god there are people who believe the government knows what "healthy" is?

As Tex said,on planet federal government, Pizza is a vegetable and HFCS is perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies