U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 73.44%
No 30 23.44%
Not sure 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM

968 posts, read 1,525,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Sounds like someone who would balk at a law making it illegal to put a gun to their head just because someone told them they couldn't.

Help children with healthy eating now and they will have less health problems later in life due to poor eating habits.
If only it was that simple. If mandates worked, tobacco and soda companies should be filing for bankruptcy by now.

Do you folks live in dream worlds? Do you folks view kids as programmable little robots?

I'm 46, and I vividly remember all the healthy foods/don't smoke/don't do drugs lessons from Elementary through HS. Guess what? Even in my small school, kids ate junk food, smoked, and did drugs.

My Mom lectured us on good food, too - but I still wanted soda and cupcakes and Big Macs because they (get this) tasted good.

In fact, I find that kids today are more aware than ever of what's good and bad for their health. It's already been noted, but seems to go right over peoples' heads, good healthy food is being offered - but kids aren't eating it.

If kids want to drink pop and go to McD's - guess what, they'll find a way whether there is a Rep or Dem in the White House. We can mandate, mandate, mandate, all we want, some kids will follow the help, some won't. Blame the righties, lefties, or whatever all you want if you're that intellectually challenged.

Let me guess - I'm the only one who ever defied their parents on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I agree with you on this. It is being overdone. The Principal you mentioned is required by federal school lunch rules to do that. The rules also require that students who bring lunch from home be seated separately from students eating the cafeteria food and the school is subject to massive fines if that doesn't happen. The idea is to prevent "bad" food from ending up in the hands of students eating the government approved menu.

At least, that's how it was explained to me by our local school officials when a similar incident happened to one of my grandkids. I researched those rules myself and the school was right.
I think the reasoning behind that kind of rule is to prevent the kid who brought a peanut butter cookie from home from giving it to a kid with a severe peanut allergy.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Or you could quit throwing things out as "facts" that you can't back up. Until I see the proof (which you didn't offer) I'm calling BS.

I've spent a good part of the day trying to find the rule which proves what I said, but can't. I've been through reams of documents online but can't find it again.

So, I happily recant. I'm not saying I'm wrong, that I never saw it, but I am saying that I can't prove it. My eyeballs are worn out and I have other things to do, so I'll look no further. It's there, I saw it once before, but I don't know where that was.

Thanks for calling my hand, even though in this instance I'm embarrassed. I wish more people would challenge statements on these boards.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
While I was on my fruitless search to prove a comment I made, I did run across one very interesting tidbit buried deep within the new FDA School Lunch Program rules.

There's been a lot of talk about school lunches and combating the "obesity crisis," but the FDA admits it can't prove a link between the new rules and better health:

"Because of the complexity of factors that contribute both to overall food consumption and to obesity, we are not able to define a level of disease or cost reduction that is attributable to the changes in meals expected to result from implementation of the rule." pg. 163

http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2012-01010_PI.pdf (broken link)

They're pretty sure it will have an effect on obesity, but they can't prove it.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,991,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I've spent a good part of the day trying to find the rule which proves what I said, but can't. I've been through reams of documents online but can't find it again.

So, I happily recant. I'm not saying I'm wrong, that I never saw it, but I am saying that I can't prove it. My eyeballs are worn out and I have other things to do, so I'll look no further. It's there, I saw it once before, but I don't know where that was.

Thanks for calling my hand, even though in this instance I'm embarrassed. I wish more people would challenge statements on these boards.
We all have moments--I've done it too. Annie B in the post right above you raised a good point though--I hadn't thought about this before, but it could be a local policy if you have kids at your school with severe food allergies. It might be that you misunderstood what your principal was saying, or he/she didn't explain clearly. I know some schools with severely allergic kids, especially in younger grades, that have had to go to a "peanut free zone" in the cafeteria because they have students who are so allergic that they could die if they were exposed. It would make sense to segregate younger kids with packed lunches under those circumstances, and to limit classroom treats from home to pre packaged items with food labels.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM

20,976 posts, read 16,258,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
Actually, I think the entire program should be scrapped.

But, since it is in place, I have no problem with healthy meals for kids.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

43,546 posts, read 52,637,306 times
While I am all for healthier food in school (there do not need to be candy bar and coke machines in schools - it's an effin' school, not a food court/mall), you people are cracking me up.

You think the reason kids eat like crap is because of the school food?

Did you not see the myriads of times people have done that experiment where they make the healthy food and give it to the kids (or adults) and even make it easy for them to have it all the time, and they just throw it away uneaten?

You can serve them steamed broccoli all day, and they won't touch it. That's not how they were trained to eat.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
It can certainly be called an "authoritarian" tinged move but FASCISM? Americans love to use words like that without knowing what they really mean. You should try using words you know rather than ones you don't. You'll save yourself a lot of humiliation.

George W Bush was nor more a Fascist than Obama is a communist. The words we really want to use are not PC so we substitute these words and they are usually totally out of context ans mean nothing.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM

15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
I see nothing wrong with school cafeterias offering healthy meals only.

1. If the kid/parent pays for it.....go ahead and throw it away if you don't like it.....it's your money.

2. If the kids who are fed through subsidies throw healthy cafeteria food away.....perhaps they aren't that hungry and we should rethink the subsidies.

3. If you are not happy with the food the cafeteria offers......no one is stopping you from sending your child to school with a packed lunch.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,991,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
It can certainly be called an "authoritarian" tinged move but FASCISM? Americans love to use words like that without knowing what they really mean. You should try using words you know rather than ones you don't. You'll save yourself a lot of humiliation.

George W Bush was nor more a Fascist than Obama is a communist. The words we really want to use are not PC so we substitute these words and they are usually totally out of context ans mean nothing.
I think the OP was using the word sarcastically--he knew that some on here will do the normal, hysterical CD thing and call it a "fascist" policy (without having a clue what the word means). I've been called a communist more times than I can count, and I'm a moderate R an a small business owner. It's the nature of the beast here--blow common sense things up into international conspiracies leading us toward one world government...or something like that, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies