Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 72.87%
No 31 24.03%
Not sure 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The changes mark the first overhaul of the school lunch program in more than 15 years and will affect the nearly 32 million children who eat at school. The new regulations will be phased in over the next three years, starting in the fall.

“We strongly support the regulations,” said Diane Pratt-Heavner, spokeswoman for the Maryland-based School Nutrition Association. “The new nutrition standards for school meals are great news for kids.”
U.S. News - Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rules

I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,078 times
Quote:
I will now expect to see outrage from conservatives who say that this new rule takes away the freedom to serve crap to school children.
I'm sure Big Ag is estatic.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM

115 posts, read 208,033 times
I'm mad cause I have to eat this crap. I wish they'd just go back to burgers and tater tots...

Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Yes BUT...I think schools should focus on a handful of things and only offer those. There is no need for a lot of variety, it's not a restaurant. If tuna sandwiches get boring, for example, they can bring something from home, etc. Saves money and time, healthy food can be offered, nobody will starve.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
I'm a cafeteria cook, and our school observes the mandated improvements handed down to make our lunches healthier. The slushy machine was taken out of our cafeteria, for example. We have a main lunch line, as well as two full ala carte areas, which offers a lot of variety for students (the ala carte areas offer a salad bar, pasta bar, stuffed peppers, homemade meatloaf, homemade chili, etc.). We now have romaine lettuce in our salads, as opposed to just iceburg, and baby carrots are included in the main lunch line every day. Our sandwiches, hamburgers, and hoagies are served on whole wheat rolls that are baked daily in the cafeteria's bakery department. There is an option of fresh fruit - apples, bananas, oranges, and tangerines - to the canned variety. There are still french fries and pizza available, but these must be purchased separately - it is not part of the standard lunch.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Another unfunded mandate. As long as the Feds keep turning a blind eye to illegal farm labor schools will be able to comply. I just hope they never crack down - school lunches will be $5. It won't just be the bullies after the kid's lunch money. Your average school bus would net more than a bank heist. :grin:

Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm a cafeteria cook, and our school observes the mandated improvements handed down to make our lunches healthier. The slushy machine was taken out of our cafeteria, for example. We have a main lunch line, as well as two full ala carte areas, which offers a lot of variety for students (the ala carte areas offer a salad bar, pasta bar, stuffed peppers, homemade meatloaf, homemade chili, etc.). We now have romaine lettuce in our salads, as opposed to just iceburg, and baby carrots are included in the main lunch line every day. Our sandwiches, hamburgers, and hoagies are served on whole wheat rolls that are baked daily in the cafeteria's bakery department. There is an option of fresh fruit - apples, bananas, oranges, and tangerines - to the canned variety. There are still french fries and pizza available, but these must be purchased separately - it is not part of the standard lunch.
Dang, I wish I went to your school growing up. Sounds like your kids eat well.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,950 times
Fascism!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Dang, I wish I went to your school growing up. Sounds like your kids eat well.
They get a good lunch for the money. They (or their parents) purchase debit cards. The main line lunch is $1.35. For example, a day's main line lunch menu could include homemade stromboli (we make our own dough), with sauce, salad, baby carrots, fruit, and milk. Of course, if they want to buy pizza, french fries, chili, noodles, or something from the ala carte area, it is extra. For example, a bowl of chili is 80 cents. We have four cooks (I am one) and two bakers.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-25-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
You will LOVE this article:

"For many students, L.A. Unified's trailblazing introduction of healthful school lunches has been a flop. Earlier this year, the district got rid of chocolate and strawberry milk, chicken nuggets, corn dogs, nachos and other food high in fat, sugar and sodium. Instead, district chefs concocted such healthful alternatives as vegetarian curries and tamales, quinoa salads and pad Thai noodles. There's just one problem: Many of the meals are being rejected en masse. Participation in the school lunch program has dropped by thousands of students. Principals report massive waste, with unopened milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away. At many campuses, an underground market for chips, candy, fast-food burgers and other taboo fare is thriving."

For the full article:

L.A. schools' healthful school lunches panned by LAUSD students - Los Angeles Times

I once kiddingly predicted in these forums that the local drug dealer would drop the drugs and replace them with snack food, bottles of soda, salt and trans fats if the government and Mrs Obama, Mayor Bloomberg and the other Big Lib Nannys kept telling us what to eat. Looks like I might have been right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies