Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 72.87%
No 31 24.03%
Not sure 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,349,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Good god there are people who believe the government knows what "healthy" is?

As Tex said,on planet federal government, Pizza is a vegetable and HFCS is perfectly fine.
The corn industry is too powerful and too subsidized to even let that be mentioned.

But consumer demand has caught the attention of food companies with the revival of cane sugar products. Cost a bit more but that's the good sugar.
And it tastes less sweet than HFCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,192,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, I can't quote you page and paragraph without going through the whole thing myself again too. Heck, I can't even guarantee this is exactly where I found it as the catalogue of rules and regulations is quite large.

I guess you'll either have to take my word for it, or do you own research.
Or you could quit throwing things out as "facts" that you can't back up. Until I see the proof (which you didn't offer) I'm calling BS.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,793,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You will not win the "war on obesity" with one meal a day at school.
It can only be fought successfully at home by the parents in instilling good eating habits in their kids.
And half the time when you see the parents you realize that apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Just wanted to point out that many children eat both breakfast and lunch at school daily. Teachers often provide a snack as well so children get more than one meal per day at school.

I think it is a move in the right direction in regards to healthier lunches. I also feel that foodstamps should be more like WIC where you have to buy certain foods with them that are healthy and/or nutritious.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM

45,150 posts, read 26,345,611 times
Quote:
The corn industry is too powerful and too subsidized to even let that be mentioned.

But consumer demand has caught the attention of food companies with the revival of cane sugar products. Cost a bit more but that's the good sugar.
And it tastes less sweet than HFCS.
Right on HT.Our all knowing DC brain trust has put protectionist tariffs on imported cane sugar (the good stuff) guaranteeing we get the bad stuff (corn sugar )from cronie$ like Monsanto.

But they know what healthy is "for the kids".

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to point out that many children eat both breakfast and lunch at school daily. Teachers often provide a snack as well so children get more than one meal per day at school.

I think it is a move in the right direction in regards to healthier lunches. I also feel that foodstamps should be more like WIC where you have to buy certain foods with them that are healthy and/or nutritious.
One or two meals at school won't do it. Kids spend more time outside of school than inside.

Sure they serve breakfast. But who tells the kids that having a soda on the way to school is not healthy ? It certainly isn't their parents.

The war on obesity will not be won at school. It has to be fought "at home". Your eating habits are formed at home, not school.
The waste at school is unbelievable. Sure they serve it but how many kids are actually EATING IT ?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,328,293 times
Quote:
You will not win the "war on obesity" with one meal a day at school.
It can only be fought successfully at home by the parents in instilling good eating habits in their kids.
And half the time when you see the parents you realize that apple didn't fall far from the tree.
You have to fight to win a war. Every calorie, carb, fat gram, etc. counts. (as does ever calorie burned) Something bad is happening in this country and we need to fight...

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Agreed on both of your points. Daily exercise would help too.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
You have to fight to win a war. Every calorie, carb, fat gram, etc. counts. (as does ever calorie burned) Something bad is happening in this country and we need to fight...
Then do it right..go back to cane sugar and get HFCS out of our diets.

What do they fatten up cattle with before slaughter ? CORN
Why is your meat so marbled in the supermarket but lean if you buy grassfed beef ? CORN

The elephant is in the room and instead of addressing it you're off classifying pizza as a vegetable and deeming it "healthy" ???

Like I said..the corn industry is subsidized and powerful.

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain
Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Then do it right..go back to cane sugar and get HFCS out of our diets.

What do they fatten up cattle with before slaughter ? CORN
Why is your meat so marbled in the supermarket but lean if you buy grassfed beef ? CORN

The elephant is in the room and instead of addressing it you're off classifying pizza as a vegetable and deeming it "healthy" ???

Like I said..the corn industry is subsidized and powerful.

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain
Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.
Well said! Looks like we'll be taking baby-steps.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Well said! Looks like we'll be taking baby-steps.
Or so you think

Take another slant. There are 3 major companies that supply school lunches and 2 of them are foreign companies. Local decision making has been eroded in favor of Fed ruling (USDA) attached to those Fed dollars.

$10 billion from the USDA..very lucrative industry when there's only 3 players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/op...pagewanted=all
An increasingly cozy alliance between companies that manufacture processed foods and companies that serve the meals is making students — a captive market — fat and sick while pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars in profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies