U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,370,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You have a right to defend yourself outside of your castle. Why do you have a problem with that? Your personal space is not your castle, your home is your castle. Is your castle the only place you can defend yourself?
Actually I don't have a problem with them extending the Castle Doctrine.
But you had questions so I assumed you didn't agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This thread? FAIL.

Castle Doctrine:

A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances attack an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution.

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This old man sounds like he wanted to emulate the Charles Bronson character in the Death Wish movies.
Stand Your Ground/No Duty To Retreat is the best law.

If someone threatens you or a member of your family or something you own you can drop him where he stands...that's the way it should be and the world would be a much nicer and more polite place to live after a year or so of clean up took place.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM

62,761 posts, read 34,208,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yep, time to fight back. Hope this guy gets off.

Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back, Kills 1: Cops | NBC 10 Philadelphia
I believe in lawful right to self-defence, but I don't think you know what castle doctrine is. I am not sure if Pennsylvania has already adopted the "stand your ground" law or not. If they have then the guy probably walks away a free man, but if they have not adopted it, he will have to show that he made an attempt to retreat first.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,664,366 times
Quote:

But in this situation it's totally acceptable for the man to kill someone over a cheap piece of metal.

Hypocrisy at it's best....
More hyperbole?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM

62,761 posts, read 34,208,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, you have accused me of being a liberal in past threads, yet I support the Castle Doctrine wholeheartedly, and also own weapons.
Guess that little theory of yours has some serious flaws, maybe you should tweak it a bit.
Some people just love the "us vs them" mentality.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,819,772 times
Quote:
SNIP

But in this situation it's totally acceptable for the man to kill someone over a cheap piece of metal.

Yes, in fact all 3 of those thugs should have met their earthly grave right there on that very spot.

We need vigilante justice in this country. When the perps fear for their lives, then violent crime rates will see a 180 turnaround. Bet on it.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 AM

988 posts, read 1,040,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, in fact all 3 of those thugs should have met their earthly grave right there on that very spot.

We need vigilante justice in this country. When the perps fear for their lives, then violent crime rates will see a 180 turnaround. Bet on it.
Just ask Kennesaw, GA

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,113,107 times
Quote:
How many old men do you know of who go riding around on bicycles armed?

In the Death Wish movies Bronson put himself (armed of course) in situations where he knew he would be threatened. This sounds just like it.

He could have armed himself with a taser, but no, he armed himself with a pistol, the pistol could have been loaded with rubber bullets but it wasn't.

As another poster said, people whine and decry people who defend themselves against bullies telling them to turn the other cheek and report it to the authorities.

I know plenty of old men who are armed whenever legally possible everywhere they go. Since I'm a firearms instructor and active in many clubs and organizations I can't even say for sure what the actual number is.

Oh...those poor kids! That wicked, evil old man set a trap for them to knock him off his bike and assault him and these poor unfortunate kids were caught up in his evil plot!

Tazer or rubber bullets? Seriously? Pathetic....

I say people of any age should defend themselves against bullies by any means neccessary.

The old man killed someone because he was attacked and outnumbered by a group of kids who were obviously a threat to his life. You don't seem to understand who the victim was here, who was at fault, and who caused the entire incident. People like you are beyond pathetic. How dare you blame the VICTIM for defending his life from a vicious attack!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,664,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I know plenty of old men who are armed whenever legally possible everywhere they go. Since I'm a firearms instructor and active in many clubs and organizations I can't even say for sure what the actual number is.

Oh...those poor kids! That wicked, evil old man set a trap for them to knock him off his bike and assault him and these poor unfortunate kids were caught up in his evil plot!

Tazer or rubber bullets? Seriously? Pathetic....

I say people of any age should defend themselves against bullies by any means neccessary.

The old man killed someone because he was attacked and outnumbered by a group of kids who were obviously a threat to his life. You don't seem to understand who the victim was here, who was at fault, and who caused the entire incident. People like you are beyond pathetic. How dare you blame the VICTIM for defending his life from a vicious attack!
Hell must be freezing over, because I totally, wholeheartedly agree with you on this.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

21,348 posts, read 11,544,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This time it turned out like it should:

Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say
What would make the country a better place would be if society supported the mothers and the children when they are very young, up to 5 years old and maybe this problem doesn't happen to begin with.

The problem with this country is the way people think.

I am in favor of better schools and especially pre-school programs and use the money saved from less prisons and police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or