U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,788,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They are teaching phone etiquette in government school now?
yes. Its called Communications 101 and basic manners. Kids that sit home for 17 years getting homeschooled from illiterate parents cant hack the job market. I and the Dean at school have fired many.

For example, when answering the phone you dont say "You 'uns"....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,556,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Especially if you use bogus websites like Rodale and Natural News.
Bogus is relative to the reader. Those with open minds read both sides and make up their own minds.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

281 posts, read 192,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms. | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Yep. Government will tell your kids what they should eat and drink because obviously parents don't know anything. I heard that soon they will be asking you to turn over your kids to the government as soon as they are born, so that the government can raise them in the best way possible. Parents suck. Government knows best!
Ignore the USDA and serve whatever you want to.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They are teaching phone etiquette in government school now?
Heck, back when I was in elementary school with Betsy Ross, et al, before the term "government school" was coined, and before public schooling was so disparaged, we were taught phone etiquette. In seriousness, I would add that this was back in the 50s, and some people didn't even have phones yet; they were relatively new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bogus is relative to the reader. Those with open minds read both sides and make up their own minds.
I prefer research-based sources myself. Rodale pretends to be research-based, by picking and choosing studies that show what they want to see, even if 100 other studies say otherwise. "Natural News" is just trash.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Heck, back when I was in elementary school with Betsy Ross, et al, before the term "government school" was coined, and before public schooling was so disparaged, we were taught phone etiquette. In seriousness, I would add that this was back in the 50s, and some people didn't even have phones yet; they were relatively new.

I prefer research-based sources myself. Rodale pretends to be research-based, by picking and choosing studies that show what they want to see, even if 100 other studies say otherwise. "Natural News" is just trash.
One link and you have me labeled as a follower of this site ?
I don't even know what they promote. I use google to find info and read many sites. Where in this thread did I quote something from Natural News ?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One link and you have me labeled as a follower of this site ?
I don't even know what they promote. I use google to find info and read many sites. Where in this thread did I quote something from Natural News ?
I was just throwing it out there for consideration. I didn't say you quoted them, anywhere in this thread. It's like talking about FOX, or msnbc, or whatever.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-27-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM

30,704 posts, read 33,502,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In some schools they tell kids what can and can't be in their lunchbox. Ever hear of that?
No. Not unless there is a specific request like "peanut free" for some reason like we already discussed. Schools can really only recommend, which they have been doing since I was in elementary school 45 years ago. If anyone gets overzealous it usually makes news and debate forums.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No. Not unless there is a specific request like "peanut free" for some reason like we already discussed.
Peanut free is the major one. I've also read about candy not being allowed.

Doesn't sound unreasonable though. Save the bag of M&Ms for home.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,111,138 times
It says a lot about how broken our Legislative process is that—even when they do something common sense and science-backed like this—so many people thinks it's a big, bad conspiracy.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
It says a lot about how broken our Legislative process is that—even when they do something common sense and science-backed like this—so many people thinks it's a big, bad conspiracy.
Yeah..how many pages on this move from whole milk to low fat milk.
In the end it's still milk.

But no outrage about having pizza classified as a vegetable so the schools can use it as healthy food now.
So Congress now tells Americans that pizza is a vegetable and we all believe them ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies