U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,786,134 times
Reputation: 8838

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Heck, back when I was in elementary school with Betsy Ross, et al, before the term "government school" was coined, and before public schooling was so disparaged, we were taught phone etiquette. In seriousness, I would add that this was back in the 50s, and some people didn't even have phones yet; they were relatively new.



I prefer research-based sources myself. Rodale pretends to be research-based, by picking and choosing studies that show what they want to see, even if 100 other studies say otherwise. "Natural News" is just trash.

yes its called common sense...and "government" schools still teach it.

Its in league with a well-rounded education, which kids can only get in a real school. My ex's sister teaches homeschooling...lol never had a job in her life, 8 kids and they all work menial jobs now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..how many pages on this move from whole milk to low fat milk.
In the end it's still milk.

But no outrage about having pizza classified as a vegetable so the schools can use it as healthy food now.
So Congress now tells Americans that pizza is a vegetable and we all believe them ?
More hyperbole from the right.

No, Congress did not declare pizza a vegetable - The Washington Post

Let’s revisit the facts: Despite what one might expect from the headlines, if you scour the agriculture appropriations bill, referenced in numerous stories, you won’t find a single mention of the word “pizza,” or even “vegetable,” for that matter.

This is not a fight over pizza. It is, instead, a fight about tomato paste. Specifically, it’s a fight about how much of the product counts as one serving of vegetables
.

People do seem to have very strong feelings about milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,075 posts, read 823,803 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
yes its called common sense...and "government" schools still teach it.

Its in league with a well-rounded education, which kids can only get in a real school. My ex's sister teaches homeschooling...lol never had a job in her life, 8 kids and they all work menial jobs now.
Yea, public school kids are soooo well rounded, that's why they all sit together same ages, same geographical area, same general socio-economical situation, with one adult in the classroom and 20-40 other kids. That's just great!

YOU may have one tiny window of what homeschoolers are like, from your obviously close minded viewpoint, but that is NOT what MOST homeschoolers are like or do. MOST homeschoolers are EXTREMELY well rounded, more so than any other "traditional" school counter parts and there are plenty of studies to prove that. MOST employers and colleges alike that have dealt with typical homeschoolers are pleasantly surprised by their ability to think for themselves, work hard, and learn at a much faster curve than others.

So keep your predjudices to yourself about your ex family members. You're biased towards them probably doesn't represent them any better than it does the rest of us homeschoolers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,075 posts, read 823,803 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Especially if you use bogus websites like Rodale and Natural News.
Using one or two sources does not a research make. Luckily God invented google (or is that google invented god, can't remember) and you can find MANY sources to choose from, on both sides of the discussion. But thinking for yourself is obviously harder for some than for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Austin
2,173 posts, read 2,878,707 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why does anyone need to drink whole milk. And why would any parent care if their kids drink 1 or 2% milk.

Thank you! Seriously, over the age of about 3, no one should be drinking whole milk. It's laden with hormones and our bodies do not tend to absorb calcium from dairy anyway due to the high protein content-blocks absorption.
There are healthier choices.

In any other country, they can smell us before they see us due to all the dairy. Gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Austin
2,173 posts, read 2,878,707 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Whole milk contains all the vitamins, fats, nutrients and proteins children need for their bodies and bones to grow properly. Maybe if schools brought back longer recess times and mandatory PE classes, this obesity thing wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Non-fat milk is just a watered down version of real milk and doesn't contain everything a child needs.

Things like this are why we need to get the government out of our lives.
Nope. Only milk directly from an animal has these nutrients. But you are right about the recess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
More hyperbole from the right.

No, Congress did not declare pizza a vegetable - The Washington Post

Let’s revisit the facts: Despite what one might expect from the headlines, if you scour the agriculture appropriations bill, referenced in numerous stories, you won’t find a single mention of the word “pizza,” or even “vegetable,” for that matter.

This is not a fight over pizza. It is, instead, a fight about tomato paste. Specifically, it’s a fight about how much of the product counts as one serving of vegetables
.

People do seem to have very strong feelings about milk.
From your own post..a slice of pizza is the same as a serving of broccoli..and the USDA objected to that. It was Congress with the backing of big Ag companies that won, NOT the USDA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Nope. Only milk directly from an animal has these nutrients. But you are right about the recess!
That's right..pasteurization kills off alot and it's not selective.
But the FDA says killing pathogens outweighs killing the some good stuff.
The FDA also says pasteurized milk is "comparable" to raw milk in nutrients but won't say "the same".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
 
2,159 posts, read 3,860,350 times
Reputation: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms. | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Yep. Government will tell your kids what they should eat and drink because obviously parents don't know anything. I heard that soon they will be asking you to turn over your kids to the government as soon as they are born, so that the government can raise them in the best way possible. Parents suck. Government knows best!
I would rather my child drink whole white milk than the greasy pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries that schools are allowed to serve as part of a "nutritional" lunch meal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM
 
2,159 posts, read 3,860,350 times
Reputation: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms. | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Yep. Government will tell your kids what they should eat and drink because obviously parents don't know anything. I heard that soon they will be asking you to turn over your kids to the government as soon as they are born, so that the government can raise them in the best way possible. Parents suck. Government knows best!
I would rather my child drink whole white milk than the greasy pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries that schools are allowed to serve as part of a "nutritional" lunch meal

And reduced fat and fat free aren't always the healthier option as they often times have double the sugar (and or the god awful HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top