U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,473,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I would rather my child drink whole white milk than the greasy pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries that schools are allowed to serve as part of a "nutritional" lunch meal

And reduced fat and fat free aren't always the healthier option as they often times have double the sugar (and or the god awful HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP)
Hence the push for healthier school lunches..there is a thread about that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From your own post..a slice of pizza is the same as a serving of broccoli..and the USDA objected to that. It was Congress with the backing of big Ag companies that won, NOT the USDA.
Apparently you are unfamiliar with exchange lists. My article said no such thing.

This makes it easier, and cheaper, for pizza manufacturers to produce a product that includes a serving of vegetables. But, as my colleagues over at The Checkup emphasize, it by no means declares the pizza itself a vegetable.

It's a combination food, like a casserole. I am in no way in favor of this regulation, although if you add some other veggies to the pizza, you can get in at least one if not more servings of vegetables.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,256,182 times
I am really enjoying reading this thread, particularly as so many people are making fools of themselves with their assumptions of what foods are served at schools these days. Our schools use only fresh seasonal produce, as Katiana already stated, to support local farmers and inprove the nutritional quality of the food. There are salads and fresh fruit available, and milk has been skim and 2% for some time.

But please carry on, don't let the facts get in the way of the good rants.......

Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,858,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hence the push for healthier school lunches..there is a thread about that too.
Yes, but the "healthier" school options arent really all that healthier. Low-fat products and no-dat products generally have a lot more sugar. The gov shouldnt be in the food business... they cant even run their own house

Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,858,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am really enjoying reading this thread, particularly as so many people are making fools of themselves with their assumptions of what foods are served at schools these days. Our schools use only fresh seasonal produce, as Katiana already stated, to support local farmers and inprove the nutritional quality of the food. There are salads and fresh fruit available, and milk has been skim and 2% for some time.

But please carry on, don't let the facts get in the way of the good rants.......
Yes, but not all schools serve those kind of foods. And if they do, it shouldn't be because the GOVT forces them too. That is my only issue. I am for less GOVT and not more

Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Yes, but not all schools serve those kind of foods. And if they do, it shouldn't be because the GOVT forces them too. That is my only issue. I am for less GOVT and not more
Keep in mind that the govt. is paying for much of the food. Go to any food stamps thread and see posters shriek about how people buy junk with their food stamps; should only be allowed certain "healthy" foods (that is, foods deemed healthy by the posters, most of whom have no nutrition background).

Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Keep in mind that the govt. is paying for much of the food. Go to any food stamps thread and see posters shriek about how people buy junk with their food stamps; should only be allowed certain "healthy" foods (that is, foods deemed healthy by the posters, most of whom have no nutrition background).
You don't need a degree to know that chips, soda and frozen preprocessed food is unhealthy.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't need a degree to know that chips, soda and frozen preprocessed food is unhealthy.
In many cases, frozen fruits and vegetables actually have more nutrition value than their fresh counterparts.

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...p_nutrition_fo
While the first step of freezing vegetables—blanching them in hot water or steam to kill bacteria and arrest the action of food-degrading enzymes—causes some water-soluble nutrients like vitamin C and the B vitamins to break down or leach out, the subsequent flash-freeze locks the vegetables in a relatively nutrient-rich state.

On the other hand, fruits and vegetables destined to be shipped to the fresh-produce aisles around the country typically are picked before they are ripe, which gives them less time to develop a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. Outward signs of ripening may still occur, but these vegetables will never have the same nutritive value as if they had been allowed to fully ripen on the vine. In addition, during the long haul from farm to fork, fresh fruits and vegetables are exposed to lots of heat and light, which degrade some nutrients, especially delicate vitamins like C and the B vitamin thiamin

Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM

21,660 posts, read 11,125,856 times
Government wants to tell us what to eat, what to drive, what we can buy and what they will tax to make it unaffordable so we can't buy it.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

21,660 posts, read 11,125,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

And the obesity problem is getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies