Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,540,099 times

Advertisements

First off, kudos to Mrs. Skeffington and her school as they seem to really be making strides as far as feeding kids good, healthy food each day. Too many schools now are just feeding kids the cheapest, easiest to prepare crap that {wink-wink-nudge-nudge} "meets" the health guidelines. (ie. a tablespoon of tomato paste on cheap frozen pizza = a "vegetable."

As for the milk...at my kid's latest checkup his pediatrician told us fat-free or 1% mile was the only way to go. Kids don't need full-fat milk. The sugar difference is miniscule and all commercial milk is fortified with vitamins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,332,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and it shows the incompetence of government agents. They don't realize that most of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble vitamins. Remove the fat and you remove the vitamins.

Not to mention that lack of knowledge that growing bodies and brains absolutely need the essential fatty acids, brain cells and neurons require diets with fat included.
Very little difference in vitamins between the two (numbers taken off milk in my fridge).

skim/whole (%DV)
A: 4%/5%
C: 4%/0%
E: 0%/1%
K: 0%/1%
Thiamin: 7%/7%
Riboflavin: 28%/26%
Niacin: 1%/1%
B6: 6%/4%
Folate: 3%/3%
B12: 16%/18%

The biggest difference being vitamin D (24%), but since a large portion of the dairy cows in the USA are not pastured (spend all their time in a barn), the amount in their milk naturally is below 1%, and the high percentage is a additive to the milk.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,126,056 times
It's amazing... I've lost more weight and gotten healthier thanks to milk, butter, cheese, and all those higher-fat foods. Getting rid of processed foods and watching the carb intake has made the biggest difference. All I'm thinking is that changing the kind of milk is not going to make one shred of difference in the health of our children until the whole school "lunch" program is fixed. Have you ever seen how they make chicken "nuggets?" Ugh... I would think it would be possible to fix our children healthy, FRESH meals all the way around before picking milk as the one thing that's going to "save" them....

Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It's amazing... I've lost more weight and gotten healthier thanks to milk, butter, cheese, and all those higher-fat foods. Getting rid of processed foods and watching the carb intake has made the biggest difference. All I'm thinking is that changing the kind of milk is not going to make one shred of difference in the health of our children until the whole school "lunch" program is fixed. Have you ever seen how they make chicken "nuggets?" Ugh... I would think it would be possible to fix our children healthy, FRESH meals all the way around before picking milk as the one thing that's going to "save" them....
Not all fat is bad fat. But in this case it's much easier to just switch the milk to a lower fat milk and claim victory.

Much harder to replace the processed food with healthier food.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and it shows the incompetence of government agents. They don't realize that most of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble vitamins. Remove the fat and you remove the vitamins.

Not to mention that lack of knowledge that growing bodies and brains absolutely need the essential fatty acids, brain cells and neurons require diets with fat included.
After age two, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends low-fat milk.
HealthyChildren.org - Reducing Dietary Fat for Preschoolers

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
After age two, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends low-fat milk.
HealthyChildren.org - Reducing Dietary Fat for Preschoolers
That's only in the past 5 years (date of the source there is 2006).

I don't think it's the fat in milk that contributes to obesity.
Drinking whole milk is not new and much more milk was consumed decades ago compared to today. And we still have a growing obesity problem. And kids are still growing so they might need that additional fat if they are not obese already.

Does milk really do a body good? - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com
While you've probably always been told to drink reduced-fat milk, the majority of scientific studies show that drinking whole milk actually improves cholesterol levels, just not as much as drinking skim does.
If you're dieting, the lower-fat option is an easy way to save a few calories. When it comes to building muscle, though, whole milk may be your best choice: Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis — an indicator of muscle growth — 2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

1,187 posts, read 992,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So one day the government considers you just fine.
You go to sleep and next day wake up (same weight) and BLAMO, the government has declared you now obese.

Well then, now we have a crisis don't we since that change just impacted 25 million people who changed from OK to FAT and OBESE.

You know the government can easily end this crisis by changing the BMI once again. I'll bet the War on Obesity will end and Michelle Obama will be happy if they went back to the old BMI.

Isn't it funny how the government can create a crisis overnight and only they can solve it ?
Exactly! Just like the decide one day Milk "does a body good" and the next, only if it's 1% or fat free... Instea of allowing each person to decide whats healthy for them individually, the government wants to tell us all what "normal" is, when there is no such thing.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The government can't--and doesn't--tell you what you can send in for your kids to eat at school either.
I never said that homeschooling was the ONLY way to deal with this, I just said it was another reason to homeschool. No government intrusion what so ever. I also never said that the government told people what they could send with their kids.

people need to actually read what is posted not what they THINK they are reading between the lines.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The ill-informed parent's that will complain about this change are obviously the type of parents that will make up for the lack of fat in the school's milk by serving up high calorie, fat filled processed food at home..so what is the issue?
And the ill-informed parent that will accept this blindly are the kinds of parents that don't really want to parent but want the government to do it for them... which is really all public schools are now anyway, glorified babysitters that don't teach anything but how to take the tests that rate teachers/schools.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM

37,758 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Kids don't have to eat school lunch.

Ever heard of a lunchbox?

Why would anyone object to the Government serving healthier food to their kids, if their kids are going to eat Government food?
In some schools they tell kids what can and can't be in their lunchbox. Ever hear of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies