U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM

29,757 posts, read 16,447,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I've seen some of the work quality, done by someone on drugs (including weed), and I don't even want one of them changing my dog's flee collar.
How could that be? drugs are illegal!
Thanks for making the point that legal or not, people are going to do them.If they were decriminalized, will you start doing them? I think not.
Oh and what about people addicted to perfectly legal pain killers and other prescription drugs? I suppose you don't have a problem with them because the government says they are okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I've seen some of the work quality, done by someone on drugs (including weed), and I don't even want one of them changing my dog's flee collar.

Without drugs, we would not be enjoying most of the music from the past 50 years including Jim Morrison, Elvis, Cher, ELO, etc, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,080,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Without drugs, we would not be enjoying most of the music from the past 50 years including Jim Morrison, Elvis, Cher, ELO, etc, etc.

Robin Williams said it best; the surgeon general's warning on a pack of joints will probably read... marijuana causes music to be..... AWESOME.... yes even Yanni!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,163,227 times
As much as I would love to see it end, it won't. There is simply too much money involved from big business and their lobby groups to keep it going. Many say; "look at prohibition in the '30's and what a joke it was," while that is very true, big business and their lobby groups didn't own the government then like they do now

Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Many good points made here and others that show their fear. It's understandable. These are the same folks that believe things like the old "Reefer Madness" movie.

But many are waking up to see how these policies are infringing on our freedom and liberty. Yet, it will take a huge effort to get the Government, especially the Feds, out of the 'business'. Lots of tax dollars being used to fund thousands of jobs. And, as mentioned, that's not even considering the big lobbying organizations and 'values' PACs.

Marijuana Backers To GOPers: Why Not Cut The DEA Budget? | TPMMuckraker

The DEA has over 10,000 employees with a budget of over $2.4 Billion.

Drug Enforcement Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big businesses want to keep these drugs illegal, but so do a lot of civil servants who are getting cash from the dealers, local cops in small towns are on the take, probably mayors. Heck, our own armed forces have been caught many times smuggling drugs into the US - from Latin America, from areas we are at war with, closed caskets being flown back to the US from Viet Nam and Afghanistan. All these holier than thou super patriots, just getting payoffs and getting rich on smuggling drugs.

Every nation that has tried the US system of handling drugs has proven that it just does not work. It merely raises costs in prison population and in police. They have opted, mostly, for a sliding scale of illegality, depending on the danger level of the drug. Instead of all that prison money, just wasted, they have rehab clinics that are readily available. It's not perfect, but is a lot more successful than our lousy system which just keeps the corruption going on.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM

913 posts, read 749,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read just this morning that George Soros was one of the earliest speakers against the War on Drugs. I wonder if he thinks the American will can be destroyed with getting more drugs into the hands of the people. I will be watching who posts these war on drugs posts from now on to see possible supporters of Soros and what he wants for us.

so let me be clear then, you're a big government guy? is that correct? roy, did you stop to notice that in some states it's now illegal for you to order rare hamburger? there are powerful people in this administration who believe meat should be outlawed, period. they also want to eliminate cars from our landscape too. you think it's only this administration? nice try, but bush snr signed the rio accord and put forward the funding to implement agenda 21. perhaps you should stop a have a little think before you join the govt cheerleading team

Last edited by sammbriggs; 02-13-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,900,152 times
All of the above and more. But as long as people seem to take an esay escape route, to ward off their troubles, the war on drugs will never cease, only increase. Many weak people out there, sad, and they take the easy way out by means of drugs.

You can have it all and the silver platter, and still be a troubled soul, and that troubled soul, takes it upon themselves to take the easy way out, they think drugs is the answer.

Sad as it is, there are people out there, who start their day with drugs.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM

913 posts, read 749,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

They also have a show for people like Roy: Doomsday preppers: Doomsday Preppers - National Geographic Channel

i doubt roy's a doomsday prepper. i think he might be intelligent enough to know that when they come to take his guns, the arguments from the anti gun crowd will sound frighteningly similar to those arguments used by proponents of the drug war. doomsday preppers hate big govt, roy evidently loves big govt

Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM

711 posts, read 689,233 times
What do Tony Bennett and Central American leaders having in common?

Considering drug legalization is necessary.

Tony Bennett Is Right -- Legalizing Drugs Would Save Lives | Reuters
Can Guatemala's President Reconcile Iron Fist with Drug Legalization? (http://insightcrime.org/insight-latest-news/item/2225-can-guatemalas-president-reconcile-iron-fist-with-drug-legalization - broken link)

Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,961,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
What do Tony Bennett and Central American leaders having in common?

Considering drug legalization is necessary.

Tony Bennett Is Right -- Legalizing Drugs Would Save Lives | Reuters
Can Guatemala's President Reconcile Iron Fist with Drug Legalization? (http://insightcrime.org/insight-latest-news/item/2225-can-guatemalas-president-reconcile-iron-fist-with-drug-legalization - broken link)
Not to mention that if you know that there is an issue on which the late Ayn Rand, the late William F. Buckley, Walter Williams, and George Shultz agree with Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader, Barbara Ehrenreich, and Dennis Kucinich on, the odds are that said stand on said issue is going to be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies