U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM

6,899 posts, read 6,584,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'm guessing they simply don't need 16 or 17 year olds. It's not their job to make sure teenagers learn responsibility.

That wasn't the point of this thread at all, claiming its their jobs. My point was, when did the age change and if anyone else was experiencing this in their area's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

22,896 posts, read 16,281,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
When I was 16 and a sophmore in H.S in the late 80s, I was able to get a 5 hr job after school. My 17 year old has been trying to get a job since her b'day in June. The hiring age has apparently been changed to 18? When did that happen? How are teens suppose to learn responsibility and work ethics, if they have to wait until their 18 years old to get a job? Is this the same in other area's of the country?

We're seeing the same thing here. With very rare exceptions, it seems very few places will hire anyone under 18.
I remember my oldest had a part-time job the year she turned 14 and was first eligible for working papers.
Meanwhile today's kids are castigated for being lazy. The deck is truly stacked against them.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
We're seeing the same thing here. With very rare exceptions, it seems very few places will hire anyone under 18.
I remember my oldest had a part-time job the year she turned 14 and was first eligible for working papers.
Meanwhile today's kids are castigated for being lazy. The deck is truly stacked against them.

Thats my point exactly. What happened to make these companies change the working age? I undertand that the economy, unemployment is what it is, but our young people and I'm not being biased, but especially young teens in the urban area need that work experience. Need to understand responsibility and more importantly need something to do. Isn't that what these politicians have been ranting about forever?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,821,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
yes, apparently places like the fast food restaurants, coffee houses, clothing stores will not hire you unless your 18.
I think that's something the businesses are choosing to do and not a govt. mandate. Makes sense actually. With the economy in shambles you can hire college students to do the jobs that high schoolers would do. Who would you hire?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I think that's something the businesses are choosing to do and not a govt. mandate. Makes sense actually. With the economy in shambles you can hire college students to do the jobs that high schoolers would do. Who would you hire?

Thats kind of a hard one and I see your point. I agree its the businesses that made the change.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,432,256 times
Are there no paper routes, what of the golf course that need caddies? I was doing more than one paper route before my teens, was doing two routes and caddying in the summer and shoveled snow of walks in the winter. If someone wants to work there is work.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Are there no paper routes, what of the golf course that need caddies? I was doing more than one paper route before my teens, was doing two routes and caddying in the summer and shoveled snow of walks in the winter. If someone wants to work there is work.

With Paper routes you have to have license and a car now. As far as Caddy, same you have to be 18 and have a license. Things are not the same today as they were 20 years ago. As far as shoveling snow, folks now a days are not paying anyone to shovel their snow. So NO if your younger than 18 in my area theirs no work. Nice talking point by the way.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM

679 posts, read 570,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Honestly what golf course uses caddies? Really, caddies? The only place I know that uses caddies is the local country club and they are cutting back extremely.

Most places people carry their own clubs.

As for shoveling snow goes, no one has paid someone to shovel their snow around here for years now. Everyone does it themselves.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,838,765 times
Teens do work here in Florida so it may be a local problem. I'm starting to think it could also be a liabilty issue as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,718,541 times
Liability issues. I'll buy that. What was it shakespear said "kill all the lawyers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies