Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Maturo's comment?
Racist and unacceptable 19 17.27%
In bad taste, but not racist 34 30.91%
Just a joke. People need to lighten up 57 51.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm torn (and perhaps a bit hypocritical). While I do think this was just a tasteless joke, I'm wondering how I would feel if he'd said he was going to go home and have some "fried chicken".
You would be offended and would raise hell and label anyone who thinks you're overreacting as a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Really easy to say when you're a group NOT on the receiving end of these "jokes."

White people whining about political correctness is just their way of protesting not being able to get away with racist **** anymore.
I'm Latina and I'm not offended by the statement at all.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
People are too dang sensitive. If we sensor every thing that comes out of a humans mouth, every single word sensored. Oopsssssssssssssssss we will no longer be able to have a voice.

I make a dang mean taco i love them, i would of asked, am i invited. Get the margarita's ready.
It is going to be that in our future, every thing we say is going to have to be sensored, unless people stop the nonesense.
Actually getting hungry for tacos right now!

Limbaugh recently said something about grease hair Italian or something to that effect, and talking about Joysey. Did not bother me. I don't let names upset me. Screw with my family, and i will mess right back at ya. The italian attitude will come out mess with my family.

Last edited by california-jewel; 01-27-2012 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM

428 posts, read 487,257 times
The mayor's comment was plain stupid, not racist. What kind of mayor responds with "maybe I'll get a taco" when asked what he's going to do for his Latino community?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
U.S. News - Conn. mayor's 'tacos' comment in Latino profiling case draws outrage

Excerpt: "WPIX reporter Mario Diaz later interviewed the mayor about the arrests.At one point in the exchange, Diaz asked Maturo: “What are you doing for the Latino community today?”
The mayor replied on camera: “I might have tacos when I go home. I’m not quite sure yet.”
How the heck can a mayor think he can get away with that?

But we all have our bad days and weak moments. Nobody is perfect. The guy should have the right to apologize and move on (with the knowledge he just lost the Latino vote).

Words and statement mean too damn much in this society. People get so offended at the drop of a hat.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
It seems that the privileged victims groups have more of a "right" to be offended. I'm 100% German heritage and if this guy would have said "I'll have some Schnitzel and Kraut" referring to German-Americans I'm pretty sure I would laugh as would 99% of German-Americans.

And we have been discriminated against plenty in this country. My grandpa got plenty of negative backlash during WWI and WWII and even I hear jokes to this day from friends and coworkers about the Nazis ect.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post

The "You're Racist" garbage has run it's course and as far as being on the receiving end of things .. Tell me WHO hasn't?

What is .. "White People"?
You mean Albinos?

As for whining .. you should re-write your post if whining bothers you!

And as I told someone else ..

You can either:
Suck It Up
Grow a Set
Join the Marines
or ... "Grow The #eLL Up"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That was me, and it wasn't clever or funny then either! In fact, it sounds like something a kid would say to another kid they're teasing.

People sometimes complain when they're unhappy... suck it up, build a bridge, and get over it.

well said guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It seems that the privileged victims groups have more of a "right" to be offended. I'm 100% German heritage and if this guy would have said "I'll have some Schnitzel and Kraut" referring to German-Americans I'm pretty sure I would laugh as would 99% of German-Americans.

And we have been discriminated against plenty in this country. My grandpa got plenty of negative backlash during WWI and WWII and even I hear jokes to this day from friends and coworkers about the Nazis ect.
i also have some german ancestry, among others, and i also hear the stupid remarks about nazis, or huns, etc. i just consider the source and go on with my life. too many people these days have a thin skin.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
The mayor's comment was plain stupid, not racist. What kind of mayor responds with "maybe I'll get a taco" when asked what he's going to do for his Latino community?
Yes, I agree. Not racist, just extremely ignorant comment to make, especially when many Latino's don't eat tacos. Ask a Cuban or Puerto Rican if tortillas or tacos are a staple of their diet and see the response you get.. The mayor is probably one of those guys that calls Hispanics "Spanish people" Makes you wonder how the general population in that city is if their elected officials are that ignorant. Although it's probably not as bad as when a politician refers to Africa as a country.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
U.S. News - Conn. mayor's 'tacos' comment in Latino profiling case draws outrage

Excerpt: "WPIX reporter Mario Diaz later interviewed the mayor about the arrests.At one point in the exchange, Diaz asked Maturo: “What are you doing for the Latino community today?”
The mayor replied on camera: “I might have tacos when I go home. I’m not quite sure yet.”
I'm not outraged, but you can't cut the guy slack because he's the freakin' MAYOR for crying out loud!! He's supposed to have more sense than that.

Don't know why that's so hard to understand for some people.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Way too many thin-skinned Americans, including a plethora right here on this forum.

Sticks and stones.......that's my mantra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies