Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Why the double standard? Also, how does Obama know what is a good investment? How am I to take him seriously when he keeps "investing" in these insolvent and bankrupt green companies, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
I'm not sure what you're talking about , but spending is spending -- the distinction about whether it is considered "invested" or "wasted" can only be made in hindsight, as you attempt to measure the returns of the spending.

I will concede that business tends to invest more efficiently than government, but the main thing I disagree with is people who think that:

a. All government spending is waste.
b. All business spending is investment.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's an investment when it's spending on something people like.

It's wasteful when it's spent on things people don't like.

Both parties use that language, leading questions like this just make you look silly.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
All government spending is people spending other people's money.

All business spending is people spending their own money.

Which group is more likely interested in seeing a return on the investment?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why the double standard? Also, how does Obama know what is a good investment? How am I to take him seriously when he keeps "investing" in these insolvent and bankrupt green companies, for example?
When the Conservatives quit spending money on things that only help a few, then they may deserve better public support.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Anytime a Liberal spends money.................................
Anytime a Conservative spends money...................................

It's all bull**** based on a person's political views. It has exactly nothing to do with any factual information.

THIS is why I am an Independent.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
It's an investment when you spend it on something that will move you forward long term. Roads, bridges, infrastructure, basic research, incentives for job creation at home, education...those are things that the country SHOULD invest in, because we benefit long term.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All government spending is people spending other people's money.

All business spending is people spending their own money.

Which group is more likely interested in seeing a return on the investment?
Every advanced technology involved government investment, and those who disagreed called it waste.

Including the computer and internet you are using to complain about government investments.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's an investment when you spend it on something that will move you forward long term. Roads, bridges, infrastructure, basic research, incentives for job creation at home, education...those are things that the country SHOULD invest in, because we benefit long term.
We invest in those things every year, to the tune of billions of dollars. Liberals have completely twisted the message into "we want ours because the banks/corporations got theirs" which is just stupid at the very core. I've yet to see a cogent argument from the liberal establishment as to why and where we should spend dollar-for-dollar what we spent on the bailouts on infrastructure. We tried the "shovel ready" approach and it failed miserably. And as I said before, we as a country already spend billions per year on infrastructure. So what is it exactly that you want other to borrow more money from China in order to satisfy your urge to say you got as much as the corporations/banks did and to feel vendicated for some weird reason?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You don't have to. Your preconceived notions, and ideology based attitude gets in the way. Having said that, a good investment is based on perceived and demonstrated returns. Mind you, these aren't always "direct returns". Government's idea of investment should NEVER be based on how the government profits from it. This is why a fascistic approach that businessmen know better, is a threat. They know well, but their strength lies in self-serving, which is about benefiting and usually at someone's expense.

Take interstate highways for example. The investment by the federal government wasn't free of cost. It was not designed on a typical business model of... I will create this so I can sell it. It was based on promotion of convenience, to commerce. Businesses thrived. Government didn't get direct returns from it, but indirectly, through thriving businesses.

Another example... a friend of mine worked in what had turned into a ghost building in downtown Dallas. Infrastructural development, in the form of light rail, has revived an appeal to downtown Dallas over last 14-15 years. That ghost building is now a host to thriving businesses and very attractive due to a convenience at its doorstep... public transportation.

With the fundamental difference being between perception of what makes for profitability, the idea of investment by progressives like Obama and I and conservatives like you all, is going to be at odds. Germany stands as an excellent example of progressivism at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies