Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the federal minimum wage be in the United States?
No minimum wage - (employers/company decision) 84 45.41%
$7.25 (as of 2012) 5 2.70%
$8 3 1.62%
$9 9 4.86%
$10 29 15.68%
$11 7 3.78%
$12 19 10.27%
$13 or higher 29 15.68%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Right now you have a huge supply of workers and a low demand for them. The federal minimum wage laws remove them from the laws of supply and demand. Without a federal minimum wage their demand would be high and the supply low and wages would find an equalibrium. But that bothers liberals because then they can't enslave them in the welfare state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Right now you have a huge supply of workers and a low demand for them. The federal minimum wage laws remove them from the laws of supply and demand. Without a federal minimum wage their demand would be high and the supply low and wages would find an equalibrium. But that bothers liberals because then they can't enslave them in the welfare state.

I see lots of jobs that pay minimum wage or very close to it.

Without a federal minimum wage, teens would replace adults in low-wage jobs, and homelessness would necessarily skyrocket.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
I say it should be around $10...even that doesn't have the impact that's needed when most employers don't want to give you benefits or any more than 20 hours a week...if nothing else that's just an adjustment for inflation that we need in order to keep getting by and stimulate the economy. No one who lives on the current minimum wage can pay for gas and living expenses and expect to be able to buy anything else.

I feel sorry that the majority seems to be in favor of no minimum wage. See if you felt the same way if it was repealed and ten years down the road employers are paying workers $1 or less an hour in factories. It's easy to be able to compete with China and other third-world countries and dictatorships when you become one yourself.

I will agree, all people should be paid better than minimum wage, and those types of jobs should be only for high school or college students who need some extra dollars, but this is COMPLETELY...no let me say that again because a lot of people don't get it...

IT IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!!!

CEOs and higher ups in companies already make more in a week than some of us make in a year or more, so arguing that making changes to taxes, wages, etc is ludacris...they are greedy and do not want to give up anything they have...if they could, they'd go back to the 17th or 18th centuries and seek out slaves to do their work. We have to protect the rights or workers to get paid a LIVABLE wage as a MINIMUM standard, because without a minimum standard, employers wont hesitate to show you what you're 'really' worth...

After all, all you people who think 'there shouldn't be a minimum wage', if employers wish to help their employes, but can't because of supposed 'regulations'...tell me something...

...why do they pay low or in some cases NO taxes, and don't start their employes off at a good livable wage?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
McDonald's franchisees seem to make a lot of money, so I'm sure an extra 25 cents er hour won't break them.
TRANSLATION: I have no idea how much McDonalds franchisees make, or how long it takes them to recoup the investment in the restaurant, all its equipment and the $1 million they have to pay to McDonalds Corporation for the franchise rights in the first place. But I hate them for "seeming" to be wealthier than I am, so I'll just randomly impose a law on them that makes it harder to do business, gets some of their employees fired, and makes me feel like I've done something good, although there is no evidence that that is so, either.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I say it should be around $10...even that doesn't have the impact that's needed when most employers don't want to give you benefits or any more than 20 hours a week...if nothing else that's just an adjustment for inflation that we need in order to keep getting by and stimulate the economy. No one who lives on the current minimum wage can pay for gas and living expenses and expect to be able to buy anything else.

I feel sorry that the majority seems to be in favor of no minimum wage. See if you felt the same way if it was repealed and ten years down the road employers are paying workers $1 or less an hour in factories. It's easy to be able to compete with China and other third-world countries and dictatorships when you become one yourself.

I will agree, all people should be paid better than minimum wage, and those types of jobs should be only for high school or college students who need some extra dollars, but this is COMPLETELY...no let me say that again because a lot of people don't get it...

IT IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!!!

CEOs and higher ups in companies already make more in a week than some of us make in a year or more, so arguing that making changes to taxes, wages, etc is ludacris...they are greedy and do not want to give up anything they have...if they could, they'd go back to the 17th or 18th centuries and seek out slaves to do their work. We have to protect the rights or workers to get paid a LIVABLE wage as a MINIMUM standard, because without a minimum standard, employers wont hesitate to show you what you're 'really' worth...

After all, all you people who think 'there shouldn't be a minimum wage', if employers wish to help their employes, but can't because of supposed 'regulations'...tell me something...

...why do they pay low or in some cases NO taxes, and don't start their employes off at a good livable wage?
Why don't you tell us how a $10/hr minimum wage will affect inflation. This should be good.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
ensuring every worker at the least can be financially stable should be a goal.
Whose goal? The worker's? Or his employer's?

There seems to be a weird idea floating around here. When I need something done, apparently I am supposed to pay the guy who does it, not according to what his work is worth to me and him, but according to what someone had decided he needs.

If he is paying high rent, then I am supposed to pay him more. Even though his work doesn't help me any more than a non-high-rent-payer's work would help me.

And if he is supporting a family of four, then I am supposed to pay him even more. Ditto the above.

When did I become responsible for his entire life? When the floor got dirty and needed sweeping? Did it become my responsibility to investigate his rent, his expenses, his family etc. when I put the HELP WANTED sign in my window? And when did it STOP becoming HIS responsibility to take care of his own family?

I'm already supporting my own family. Sommetimes that's not easy, but everybody has that problem, I don't complain any more than they do. But now I have to take over the floor-sweeper's family too? When did that happen?

With every right, comes responsibilities. Certainly the floor-sweeper has the right to have a family. But along with that right, comes the responsibility to take care of them, provide for them. Announcing that it's suddenly MY responsibility to provide for HIS family as well as my own, is downright weird. If my sweeper's son tears his shirt, is it up to ME to learn knitting and darn it; or stop at the store and buy him a new one? Or is it his Dad's responsibility instead, maybe to put in some extra hours and earn enough to take care of it; or learn to sew himself and fix it?

If I sell a large number of my products to a customer, then does he suddenly take on the responsibility of providing adequately for my family, as well as for the family of the guy sweeping the floor? It won't be long before that customer is in here posting "When did that suddenly happen?", too.

This "minimum wage should be enough to support a family of four" business is complete nonsense. If anything, it should read "Anyone who wants to have a family of four should make sure he's able to support them; or else decide he CANNOT support them and therefore shouldn't have them in the first place".

That makes a LOT more sense. Doesn't it?

I'm not very likely to start a business that provides jobs to a lot of people, and take all the risks and go through the years of 20-hour days and sweatinng out bill collectors, if it turns out I'm also responsible my sweeper's daughter, and the sweeper's assistant's son, have nice enough clothes to wear. It's too much. I'm a hard worker, but if the responsibilities are that gargantuan, I'll pass, thanks. You'll have to find someone else to create all those jobs, take all those risks, sweat those long hours, AND also do the same for every family too. I just can't do it all.

And I'll give you a hint: Neither can anyone else.

Paying someone according to what someone else has decided he "needs", rather than accordint to how much benefit I get from his labor, is downright insane. What loony bin do they get people out of, who go around making such a proposition with straight faces?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
TRANSLATION: I have no idea how much McDonalds franchisees make, or how long it takes them to recoup the investment in the restaurant, all its equipment and the $1 million they have to pay to McDonalds Corporation for the franchise rights in the first place. But I hate them for "seeming" to be wealthier than I am, so I'll just randomly impose a law on them that makes it harder to do business, gets some of their employees fired, and makes me feel like I've done something good, although there is no evidence that that is so, either.

Every conservative knows that business does not pay taxes, they collect taxes from consumers and remit those taxes to government.

So the franchise owner isn't being taxed, the consumer is. And I think that's entirely appropriate in the case of minimum wage jobs.

Middle class Americans consider themselves entitled to cheap Big Macs and Happy Meals. (Talk about entitlement mentality!) Let them be grateful that wage slaves are cranking out their yummies for minimum wage.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If he is paying high rent, then I am supposed to pay him more. Even though his work doesn't help me any more than a non-high-rent-payer's work would help me.

DING! DING! DING! You got it!

I tie minimum wage directly to housing and zoning codes which artificially increase the cost and decrease the supply (thus even further increasing the cost) of housing.

Middle class housing standards are imposed on minimum wage workers (by government codes and ordinances) whether they can afford it or not. Yes, he is paying high rent precisely due to those government regulations.

My plan is simple: I will gladly accept NO minimum wage as soon as a landlord is free to rent out housing that a worker can afford on whatever wage he is worth.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
No, they provided a detailed reasoning a logical conclusion that has been reviewed and reaffirmed by many people with detailed education and extensive experience in the subject. Your logic is that you just "reject it" as a rebuttal. Two words without any backup is not any sort of rebuttal to a detailed document like that. Also no, because I don't agree with your pathetic assessment doesn't mean total trust. That is a false dichotomy, and a really awfully bad one at that.
The thing about the supreme court: if they are an unbiased legal entity designed to make non-secular neutral decisions, why don't they? Every president salivates to place either a liberal or a conservative judge on the SC bench. The entire premise of the supreme court has been routed, and politicized, rendering nearly all of their decisions biased.

The minimum wage should be decided by the states, not the federal government. It isn't their job to dictate such things

Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Why don't you tell us how a $10/hr minimum wage will affect inflation. This should be good.

Why don't you tell us how housing and zoning codes affect rent inflation. This should be good.

Oh wait, Thomas Sowell already did that in 1981.

Markets and Minorities, Chapter 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies