Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times

Advertisements

Rape has been used from the begining of history to dis-empower and make human beings dysfunctional...It is used in war - and by those who wage war on individuals..those who commit rape are right up there with those who murder..They should be confined like vicious dogs till they are to old to think about harming someone - I say....the term "sexual assult" - should be tossed away - it is Orwellian and minimized the crime - Rape is rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 AM

39,848 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Rape has been used from the begining of history to dis-empower and make human beings dysfunctional...It is used in war - and by those who wage war on individuals..those who commit rape are right up there with those who murder..They should be confined like vicious dogs till they are to old to think about harming someone - I say....the term "sexual assult" - should be tossed away - it is Orwellian and minimized the crime - Rape is rape.

I agree. I also think that those that make FALSE rape charges deserve the same, maximum penalty that someone accused of those charges would face. Deliberate actions that result in an innocent person locked up for years are more contemptable than even rape.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-30-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
And, having your family pulled apart due to false allegations, is just as awful. if not more so actually.
I've been sexually abused as a child. I was able to after a time move on and live a normal life.
But when you have a close loved one who has been falsely accused, and you see the total injustice of the system, down to DAs that don't care about the truth, and even coach the accuser on rebuttal, and your loved one is basically cornered into taking a plea when you KNOW they are innocent... you lose trust in the system, and become very jaded. You watch your hopes and dreams die. Your family is threatened and you see people who are being hurt for NOTHING and you are powerless to stop or change it, and you live in fear that another law...another one that hasn't been thought out will come along and take whatever little bit of freedom that remains.
yeah...
i agree both are awful. i just don't think one is worse than the other. i think both are equally awful.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree. I also think that those that make FALSE rape charges deserve the same, maximum penalty that someone accused of those charges would face. Deliberate actions that result in an innocent person locked up for years are more contemptable than even rape.
I can't rep you anymore, but thank you!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets get the BS out of the way. Rape is a horrific crime, with a terrible legacy for the victim, and real rapists should be castrated or executed. Now that that's out of the way, lets move on to the topic...

In rape cases, the accuser/victim's name is (typically) kept out of the media all together. Fine, she (or he for that matter) should have some degree of privacy over such a personal matter. Why the one sided treatment? The accusation of rape is devestating, to the person, to their family, to their employement. Yet in many cases the accused is "tried by society" and the media long before the case comes to trial. There is a far greater stigma to being a rapist than a rape victim, yet we ignore any impact on that person. What happened to "innocent till proven guilty"? Why are un-tried people dragged through the mud? Why don't we protect their identity until after they are convicted?

After the trial, and after a rapist is found guilty, fine. Publish all the relevant info. They deserve any scorn or shunning they get. But until then, they are innocent.

The only thing more contemptable than a rapist is the person that would use a false accusation of rape to destroy another person's life.
Apparently, going thru the trauma of being accused of rape, and watching your life be utterly destroyed is insignificant?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Woman who 'faked rape to get her husband to move to a better neighbourhood' escapes jail | Mail Online

figures, no jail time. ooooh poor baby lost her license and got probation, and her marriage is wrecked... and she's got to pay a little money. So? She should spend 10 years in jail and have do community service for real rape victims.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM

another thing to consider for the posters who think being falsely accused is definitively worse: many people who are let off the hook go on to abuse dozens, sometimes hundreds, of people over years, sometimes decades. that's a whole lot of pain to spread around in the world. i know being falsely accused can turn someone's life upside down, but i don't know that that's necessarily not as bad as being falsely accused.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
another thing to consider for the posters who think being falsely accused is definitively worse: many people who are let off the hook go on to abuse dozens, sometimes hundreds, of people over years, sometimes decades. that's a whole lot of pain to spread around in the world. i know being falsely accused can turn someone's life upside down, but i don't know that that's necessarily not as bad as being falsely accused.
And someone who has falsely accused ONE person can do the same to others as well, and it has happened. It affects not only the accused but their family and friends, on down through children and grandchildren, and extended family and friends
I've been on both sides. far easier to heal from sexual abuse for me, than having someone I love, falsely accused and seeing the fallout affect my family.
Kids often lose parents for decades or longer, and in some cases people are forced to be homeless, living in tents or under bridges, get beaten, lose jobs and hope.
Once you lose hope, you've got about nothing left.
My loved one and his family live in fear that new rules/laws will come about forcing him from his home with his kids because of misguided "good intentions" Or making him give up a job, that he struggled to get, because he "may" come into contact with a minor...
Or, that his state might decide to make him have a special license plate that says "Sex Offender" and that he or anyone else driving the car could be a target of a vigilante.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Link, proof, information?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Link, proof, information?
One word: Sandusky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies