U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,625,772 times

Advertisements

Ya ever geen to San Luis, AZ? It's a border crossing town below Yuma.

NOTHING is done in English down there. Spanish is the predominant language of commerce, education and government because that's what people speak.

Is that right or wrong? I don't know, it's just the way it is and I can't say what could be done about, can you?

Incidently, it's not unique to San Luis. "Spanglish" is the common language from Brownsville, TX to San Ysidro, CA. In fact, mixed languages are common on EVERY border in the world where more than one language is divided by a line on a map. Go anywhere and you'll find the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 8,022,433 times
Wow. Good call. Normally I dont side with the Hispanic haters here but this is an official job doing official business. English IS necessary.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,801,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Wow. Good call. Normally I dont side with the Hispanic haters here but this is an official job doing official business. English IS necessary.
I'm not a hispanic hater...but I can see this setting a precedent all across the US. How about that city in Michigan that has an overwhelming majority of Arabic (I think) speakers. What if they decided to elect someone who could only speak that language? How about other parts of the country where other immigrants congregate? We'll end up with the Tower of Babel in government. If you lived in one of these areas, how would you feel if you could not express yourself in a township meeting?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'm not a hispanic hater...but I can see this setting a precedent all across the US. How about that city in Michigan that has an overwhelming majority of Arabic (I think) speakers. What if they decided to elect someone who could only speak that language? How about other parts of the country where other immigrants congregate? We'll end up with the Tower of Babel in government. If you lived in one of these areas, how would you feel if you could not express yourself in a township meeting?

How would you feel to have a city council conducting business in a language the citizens can't understand?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,469,099 times
This is just another example of the failure of bilingual education. Give students who don't speak English one year of support in their native language and then put them in English immersion classes. Otherwise you get people like this woman who will simply refuse to learn it because they are lazy. The only thing that unites us is a common language.

La Raza, the hispanic hate group that means "the race" opposes English language immersion classes and believes that kids should be able to get an American high school diploma without demonstrating proficiency in English:

La Raza Facts - Michelle Malkin - National Review Online
Quote:

The Race” joined other open-borders, anti-assimilationists and sued to prevent Proposition 227, California’s bilingual education reform ballot initiative, from becoming law.
This is one of the reasons you see people like Ms. Cabrera. How is irrational or unreasonable to demand that someone who graduates from our high schools demonstrate high school level knowlege of English?

The teachers who taught this woman should be fired and her entire school shut down for complete educational failure. No one nation would find this acceptable. Why should we?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ya ever geen to San Luis, AZ? It's a border crossing town below Yuma.

NOTHING is done in English down there. Spanish is the predominant language of commerce, education and government because that's what people speak.

Is that right or wrong? I don't know, it's just the way it is and I can't say what could be done about, can you?

Incidently, it's not unique to San Luis. "Spanglish" is the common language from Brownsville, TX to San Ysidro, CA. In fact, mixed languages are common on EVERY border in the world where more than one language is divided by a line on a map. Go anywhere and you'll find the same thing.
Still though..after 5th grade there is English only classes. How did she get through school and the tests ?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How would you feel to have a city council conducting business in a language the citizens can't understand?
Hey, you know what?

We speak English in the USA.

All of our public schools teach in English.

How many presidential candidates have debated each other in another language?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times
Quote:
Well since the government provides translators I would go to the meeting and ask for an English translator to attend and let me know what is going on in my city. They provide them for other languages so they'd need to get on the bandwagon and start providing English translators as well.

I lived in south Florida for over a decade back in the 80's. Shopping in downtown Miami was never an issue as English was spoken. Replying in Spanish (like thank you and numbers) was taken as a token of respect for their language.

Come to Texas though and there's a whole different attitude about speaking English/Spanish. I've gone into stores in Austin where no English was spoken at all. Couldn't do business so I left (glass cutting place).

Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Still though..after 5th grade there is English only classes. How did she get through school and the tests ?

Apparently, though being a US citizen, most of her childhood was spent in Mexico. She didn't return here and enter our schools until high school.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Apparently, though being a US citizen, most of her childhood was spent in Mexico. She didn't return here and enter our schools until high school.
Just what we need in government...a true patriot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies